GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No one likes the GTI but us!

Randum

Go Kart Champion
After showing each one of my friends and family the new GTI, I think its safe to say, its a very niche car!! No one was head of heels for this ride like I am! I get the usual "nice station wagon" or "nice plaid seats" or "its only four cylinders?, sure its fast..."

It is true, I really only have given a couple people a ride, but needless to say the opinion is changed if they actually drive it.

Just find it funny the enthusiasts are really into the gti/r32s- but anyone who isn't well...just isnt!!

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
The one that kills me when we get it - 'Oh, it's so cute!"

Yep, it's cute alright. 200HP/207 lbs-ft cute. ;)

toady

Passed Driver's Ed
That's OK

After showing each one of my friends and family the new GTI, I think its safe to say, its a very niche car!! No one was head of heels for this ride like I am! I get the usual "nice station wagon" or "nice plaid seats" or "its only four cylinders?, sure its fast..."

It is true, I really only have given a couple people a ride, but needless to say the opinion is changed if they actually drive it.

Just find it funny the enthusiasts are really into the gti/r32s- but anyone who isn't well...just isnt!!

Just makes it that much better for us. No sense being part of the "in-crowd" and driving what everyone else has. I like to be different. I have found, however, that the cute comments generally disappear after someone goes for a ride in it. Pretty much blows them away. :)

EvL BuNNY

Ready to race!
not many of my close friends are into cars like i am... i have one friend that has a 335i bmw and he thinks his car is the best car in the world.. would just brag all day " i got 300 horsepower and twin turbos"

if i opened his hood and said point to your intake, or turbo he wouldnt know what anything was... all he knows how to do is start the car and drive.

he refused to believe that my GTI was a respectable car until we raced one day and i beat him (im stage 1). the look on his face was priceless.

he made every excuse in the book as to why i won.

people dont realize what the GTI is.

ive gotten the "oh its so cute" and the "nice plaid seats" from a few people untill i take them threw the backroads and make them piss their pants

JCS-2.0T

Ready to race!
I love the "I don't like hatchbacks" comments too - especially coming from someone who drives an suv - blows my mind LOL.
I converted my future brother-in-law with a drive through the twisties. He was looking at a Mazda 3 now he's dying for a GTI.

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
Yeah that kills me about all the anti-hatchback comments. If it was an SUV it would be cool, but since it's a car with a rear hatch all of a sudden its ugly or less of a car. I show people pics or tell them I'm thinking of buying one and they say "but its just a hatchback"

hugoender1

Ready to race!
I was driving on the highway and my girlfriend was in her car behind me and I took off and she later told me my car looked like a "Scooter Car"... lol

No idea what that means but that is how she described my car zipping through traffic.

To be honest, I get quite the opposite reactions. When I mention what I have people don't care and then when they see the car they are amazed.

100% of men that see the car LOVE the rims (18" detroits). Even people like my dad which hates big shiny rims.

100% of women HATE the plaid seats.

100% of people are surprised at how roomy the car is and how comfortable the back is.

100% of people are amazed by how smooth the car drives/feels even at high speeds.

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
It is kind of funny all the guys I work with tell me that i should get something like the Camaro or a STI or another EVO. Then I talk about the GTI and they give me the "I dont like hatchbacks" excuse, they seem to forget that the STI is a hatchback. I really liked the MK5 and I am really likeing the MK6 it just seems logical to me to get a GTI. Not to mention that insurance is another reason I am not getting anything else. I was totaly amazed at how much insurance is on these well atleast for me I dont know weather it is the fact that I am coming from a performance car to this or what but it is nearly half the amount and I am getting more coverage on the GTI.

Kg810

Passed Driver's Ed
hahaha omg and here I thought it was only me and my friends. +1000 to all of the above comments. I feel like I have to defend myself when I tell my friends "GTI will be my next car."

Hopefully when I get it, I can take em all out for a spin and convert them over to the dub-side.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
he refused to believe that my GTI was a respectable car until we raced one day and i beat him (im stage 1). the look on his face was priceless.

In a straight line? Or through turns?

Either way, I think it's just a case of your friend not knowing how to drive. I have a 535xi, so it's the same engine, and despite all that extra weight it feels neckbreakingly fast when I floor it.

r56mcs

Ready to race!
When I had my 07 MCS, I thought GTI's are just too heavy. But I like VW now... I have to have one.