GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI re-sale value question?

rokketman

Ready to race!
The 2012 GTI with manual, 3k miles, sunroof and convenience gets around $20k trade in, and retails for around $23k.

What can I expect in end of 2013 with 12k miles? KBB says a 2011 with that many miles will get $18,705. That is only $1200 less than a 2012 with 3k miles.

What gives? $1200 depreciation for one more year and 9k more miles?

Is the normal depreciation for a new car once it drives off the lot about 25%?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Have you also checked www.nada.com as well?

Remember, these sites also use your area/market for pricing as well. And yeah, the biggest hit is usually the first 1-2 years, no doubt about it.

rokketman

Ready to race!
NADA clean trade-in gives me $21,450, about $1500 more than KBB (NADA adds $1075 for the mileage and $500 for sunroof)

Nice find.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
They don't have a lot of data on new cars, so they usually just use the prior year, which kinda sucks. I have been offered $21,000 trade by three different dealers, because apparently that's what they are going for at Manheim. My car is a 2013 base 4 door manual.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
see my sig... I will help you remotely if you want. PM me for more info.

jni3

Ready to race!
i seen you've used nada and kbb. what about edmunds?

whatever

Passed Driver's Ed
As long as you know that KBB, Edmunds and NADA should be considered primarily for 1) piece of mind, and/or 2) private sales. Generally speaking, you cannot expect to get the same value from trading in as many dealers don't use those guides for trades, but use wholesale guides such as Galves.

Unless...do VW dealers use KBB or others for VW trades since they are less likely to sell to the wholesale market?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
that's what a dealer will tell you^, yes. They all list trade-in values though, and I find NADA to be the most accurate for the most part.

but myself personally and others have stuck to their guns and easily gotten mid to high range on trade-in values per NADA, when negotiating with a dealer. The "auction" and "black book" excuse has survived for too long - a smart consumer in this situation either gets the money they need/should or goes elsewhere.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
No one car really tell, 1 model year difference for the exact same car makes little difference. But for a 2010 I wouldn't pay more than 18, 2011 20, and 2012 21/22 pending options. These cars are heavily discounted new... so buying used isn't always best.