GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Sound System

hiddink.gti

I recently bought an MK6 GTI and in my previous car i had a full aftermarket sound system and removed everything in hopes to put it my new GTI. I would love to see pictures of how you guys set up your sub and amps in the trunk. :D

Yang24

Ready to race!

My two jl w6 10's in a custom ported box tuned too 35 hertz.

absolutly love it soo much thump :happyanim:

hugoender1

Ready to race!
@Yang24: Dayummm! Only downside is that you have lost all trunk space. I use my trunk to much to do this but it's nice :D

Yang24

Ready to race!
Eh i only need to lug around a back pack and the occasional errons for work , But other than that no kids and i dont do the grocerie shopping so for me there is plenty of room:thumbup:.

But yes i can see how for MOST this upgrade take up a little to much safe and is alot more impractical, But DAMNN does it sound awesome with the dyna audio system to compliment it.

Merelington

Ready to race!
*I had the amp mounted to the shorter side of the rear seat for a few reasons:

1) More breathing room for the amp vs under the front seat
2) Easier access to controls for when I want to tweak the settings
3) Mounted on the shorter side for more cargo flexibility
4) I straight up just like looking at it

*I opted for an 8" sub to minimize space taken up...this little monster still delivers a solid punch without being over the top.

*Tweeters and mids replaced stock speakers up front as well.

altair

*I had the amp mounted to the shorter side of the rear seat for a few reasons:

1) More breathing room for the amp vs under the front seat
2) Easier access to controls for when I want to tweak the settings
3) Mounted on the shorter side for more cargo flexibility
4) I straight up just like looking at it

*I opted for an 8" sub to minimize space taken up...this little monster still delivers a solid punch without being over the top.

*Tweeters and mids replaced stock speakers up front as well.

What did you get up front and do you remember the sizes of the speakers?

Merelington

Ready to race!
What did you get up front and do you remember the sizes of the speakers?

Hertz Hi-Energy: HSK 165 2-way components. I only did the front doors (6.5" mids & 1" tweeters)

The HSKs are extremely clear and dynamic but a little on the high side (can be tamed with HU & amp's cross over control). I was also looking at the ESKs which weren't quite as clear but had a more rounded off high end and cost $100 less.

I highly recommend Hertz products. There aren't too many reviews online but the build & sound quality are top notch with a relatively low price.

ttothedot

Hey Merlington, that's crazy! I'm about to get the EXACT same set up and speakers you did.

Hertz front doors (6.5" mids & 1" tweeters) and Hertz 8" sub w/ Kenwood amp. I get them installed on Saturday. I also got a Kenwood DNX5160 head unit.

How do you like it so far? Does it sound nice?

My previous car was a heavily modded Civic... I had a nice custom sound system in there. 8 JL Audio mids and tweets all around and a 12" JL sub in the trunk. Sounded damn nice =) I know this won't come close to that but I hope it will still be nice to cruise with.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Merelington

Ready to race!
Hey Merlington, that's crazy! I'm about to get the EXACT same set up and speakers you did.

Hertz front doors (6.5" mids & 1" tweeters) and Hertz 8" sub w/ Kenwood amp. I get them installed on Saturday. I also got a Kenwood DNX5160 head unit.

How do you like it so far? Does it sound nice?

That is pretty crazy, same area as well. The set up is exactly what I was looking for..enough power for head room without distortion, a really nice kick without being boomy, and a crystal clear sound. The only thing I can complain about is that the HSKs are too clear...if that makes sense. I'm now noticing which songs are recorded properly/poorly and its making me love/hate certain songs. The ESK speakers a step below might have been a better choice but there are no real regrets here. I love this system.

I would have liked the kenwood deck I was looking at as it allows for more control over the audio and adds dvd but I didn't want to lose my steering wheel control functions. Did you get a module that allows you to still use your steering wheel?

ttothedot

That is pretty crazy, same area as well. The set up is exactly what I was looking for..enough power for head room without distortion, a really nice kick without being boomy, and a crystal clear sound. The only thing I can complain about is that the HSKs are too clear...if that makes sense. I'm now noticing which songs are recorded properly/poorly and its making me love/hate certain songs. The ESK speakers a step below might have been a better choice but there are no real regrets here. I love this system.

I would have liked the kenwood deck I was looking at as it allows for more control over the audio and adds dvd but I didn't want to lose my steering wheel control functions. Did you get a module that allows you to still use your steering wheel?

Hehe..almost same area. I"m currently located in Vancouver B.C. =) I was born in Ontario.
I understand what you mean by *too clear* but the Kenwood has total customization for mids, tweets and sub. Almost to much customization..heh. So many ways to adjust your sound. Yes I did get the steering wheel control adapter. The shop didn't have it in stock (cause the GTI is still too new) and had to play phone tag with their supplier to get in the right one.

Glad your enjoying your upgrade.

Merelington

Ready to race!
Ah, I figured because of your user name you were in Toronto. Once funds start rolling again I'll have to buy a new deck + module. I can imagine the anticipation on your end...owning the gear but waiting for installation. Post pics and your thoughts once its all said and done.

Merelington

Ready to race!
Oh yea, and to the moderators....this thread should be moved to "In Car Entertainment"