GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LED tails fog vs no fog - Reverse

jpipdw

Ready to race!
I'm trying to clarify something - please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a 2013 GTI US spec. About to place an order for smoked LED tails.

LED Tails no rear fog, standard OEM light switch -> Put car in reverse, only 1 reverse light active

LED Tails WITH rear fog, standard Euro OEM light switch -> Put car in reverse, both reverse lights active.

Is this correct? I heard from someone that if you purchase the LED tails without rear fog, then you only get 1 reverse light when you put the car in reverse - not sure if this is a true statement?

I really don't see a need for the rear fog, but I would rather spend the extra cash if it means I'll have 2 reverse lights active when I put the car in reverse.

Thanks for any clarification.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
LED w/o fog....you get 2 reverse.

As for LED w/ fog, you will need to change out the stock headlight switch with an Euro switch....and have to code it to make the fog lights to work.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Not a problem. Depending on the brand of lights, you may or may not need to use vag com to eliminate the bulb out error.

Ed/Vacar - needs to be coded
Depo - no coding needing (unless you want to eliminate the resistor boxes & self-diagnostic strobe)
OEM/HELLA - same as Ed/Vacar. ....

jpipdw

Ready to race!
I'll be going with OEM no fogs - going to call BKS Tuning tomorrow to see if they really have them in stock and if they are, in fact, OEM. Great price too......can't find them in stock anywhere

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
The lights they carry are genuine VW lights. Make sure to get the wire adapters if the package doesn't include them. Other places may have them, but are noticeably more expensive.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
LED w/o fog....you get 2 reverse.

As for LED w/ fog, you will need to change out the stock headlight switch with an Euro switch....and have to code it to make the fog lights to work.

Additionally,
If you want the fog light to work you need the euro switch. If not then you don't.

Led tails w/o rear fog - straight swap get two reverse lights. Vacar need to code bulb out error. DEPO don't need to code.

Led tails with rear fog - straight swap, in reverse you get the rear fog light and the one reverse light coming on. So with both light types you code out the rear fog light coming on and will end up with one reverse light.
You just get a euroswitch and two trigger wires and do the wiring if you want to get the rear fog light to work. If not, you have one reverse light and led fog light that does nothing.

jpipdw

Ready to race!
That's what I have found during research - need to use the wire harness adapters to get them to work. According to BKS Tuning's product description page, these smoked LED's w/o fog come with the harness......based on that price, I'm going to call and triple check. The ones at ECS tuning are about $75 more.

ECS says their harness is "ECS Engineered" just trying to find a good price for these OEMs at the moment.

BKS:
http://www.bks-tuning.com/epages/17...1/Products/VWGOL114/SubProducts/VWGOL114-0001

ECS:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Lighting/Tail_Light/ES2221162/

jpipdw

Ready to race!
Thanks for all your help guys! I just didn't see the point in spending more money for rear fogs that I will probably never use, not to mention wiring up the euro switch. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. Now that i know that with a straight swap you get 2 reverse lights, that's all that I'm looking for.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for all your help guys! I just didn't see the point in spending more money for rear fogs that I will probably never use, not to mention wiring up the euro switch. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. Now that i know that with a straight swap you get 2 reverse lights, that's all that I'm looking for.

You need to code if you get OEM to get rid of the bulb error.
Only depos with the resistors installed are a straight swap without errors.
Wouldn't bother with OEM

jpipdw

Ready to race!
Just ordered the reps from Ed - dark red w/o fogs. Can't beat that price and from what I've read they are excellent LEDs.

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
So I'm not sure if the original question was answered. The OEM LED tails with fog does or does not have two white reverse lights in addition to the red rear fog light?

I thought I saw a video that suggested there were two reverse lights in addition to the rear fog, but I could be drunk.

fork stabbed by autocorrect

jpipdw

Ready to race!
So I'm not sure if the original question was answered. The OEM LED tails with fog does or does not have two white reverse lights in addition to the red rear fog light?

I thought I saw a video that suggested there were two reverse lights in addition to the rear fog, but I could be drunk.

fork stabbed by autocorrect

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understood it was - led tails w/o fog = 2 reverse lights. led tails with fog = 1 reverse light and 1 fog light, which leads me to believe that one reverse light is white, the other is red? Seems like that would look quite strange and inconsistent, I would rather have a uniform look.

I have talked to some people locally and they weren't sure whether or not that would cause trouble during an inspection here in New York, but either way, I like the price of the tails without fogs.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understood it was - led tails w/o fog = 2 reverse lights. led tails with fog = 1 reverse light and 1 fog light, which leads me to believe that one reverse light is white, the other is red? Seems like that would look quite strange and inconsistent, I would rather have a uniform look.

I have talked to some people locally and they weren't sure whether or not that would cause trouble during an inspection here in New York, but either way, I like the price of the tails without fogs.

That's right.
It's the way it is in most of the rest of the world. It's actually crazy that it is not a legal requirement for rear fog lights here.

With the non-fog version you can always change the left side bulb to a higher wattage red bulb, code for rear fog, get euroswitch plus trigger wire and then have a working rear fog type.