GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
reelknead1
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2010 CSG GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,428
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. The EA888 engine is the engine that is currently in Golf R in generation 2. This would be another revised engine of that motor which i understand but I thought the new motor going into the Mk7 GTI was a Gen 2 of the current Mk6 engine?

With this article it sounds like the EA888 is coming in the form of a refresh for the GLI. If that is correct, I would assume that the GTI would also come with that motor with the same output. I guess there is more questions then answers at this point but what was the point of developing the motor that is currently in the GTI if they kill it off after 6 years?
reelknead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #19
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Bye MK6, Hello MK7 PP GTI
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 4,408
Golf R has EA113. Which was the engine MK5 GTI comes with, but with K04 instead of K03, among other things. I don't actually know why the new EA888 is a gen 3 though? Is the MK6 GTI 2.0T Gen 1 or Gen 2?
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
SweetJones_29
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2010 GTI 4 DR CSG DSG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 504
Any mention of a more capable turbo. Something between the K03 and k04. This would help when getting you car flashed to produce more power.
__________________
APR STAGE 2 / APR DOWNPIPE / R8 COILS / HAWK HPS PADS / A-SPEC THROTTLE PIPE / NEUSPEED 25MM REAR SWAY / BSH TORQUE INSERT
SweetJones_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
SweetJones_29
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 2010 GTI 4 DR CSG DSG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelknead1 View Post
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. The EA888 engine is the engine that is currently in Golf R in generation 2. This would be another revised engine of that motor which i understand but I thought the new motor going into the Mk7 GTI was a Gen 2 of the current Mk6 engine?

With this article it sounds like the EA888 is coming in the form of a refresh for the GLI. If that is correct, I would assume that the GTI would also come with that motor with the same output. I guess there is more questions then answers at this point but what was the point of developing the motor that is currently in the GTI if they kill it off after 6 years?
The EA113 is the Golf R and Mk5 engine. The EA888 is the TSI engine. So it is a revision of the current MK6 engine.

http://www.golf********.co.uk/index.php?topic=131433.0
__________________
APR STAGE 2 / APR DOWNPIPE / R8 COILS / HAWK HPS PADS / A-SPEC THROTTLE PIPE / NEUSPEED 25MM REAR SWAY / BSH TORQUE INSERT
SweetJones_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #22
reelknead1
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2010 CSG GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetJones_29 View Post
The EA113 is the Golf R and Mk5 engine. The EA888 is the TSI engine. So it is a revision of the current MK6 engine.

http://www.golf********.co.uk/index.php?topic=131433.0
Ah... That makes a lot more sense then. Thank you very much!

Now the question is will the new GTI have the same tune as the GLI and get 210hp or will they bump it up? Maybe offer a performance package for 230hp but the base comes with 210hp.

That or they could do a refresh of the GLI in the spring of 2014 when the GTI comes out and up the power in both of them?

I guess only time will tell.
reelknead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Bye MK6, Hello MK7 PP GTI
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 4,408
The annoying thing is if they are not going to bring all the new feature to the North American MK7, which from the powerpoint it looks like the lack of MPI, new cooling management and Valvelift might be a market specific change, does that mean those feature will be on the EU spec car? And also this signals the possibility that if they are removing those items on the cars here, we might not get the new E-LSD and other things that the EU cars might get. Especially considering that something like the cooling managment and MPI will not only make the engine more powerful, they also improves emission and fuel economy...if those are consider unnecessary, E-LSD is something even less important for the car...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #24
09Gitty
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: 2009 VW GTI
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 42
Originally they were stating that two power versions of the mkvii gti would be available. They were something like 210 and 230 hp versions but the 230 hp version came with some extra goodies like an electrically controlled mechanical LSD.
__________________
Unitronic Stage2, Clutch Masters FX400, CTS Turbo Intake, Catless DP, FMIC, BSH Pendulum Mount, Koni Adjustable Coilovers
09Gitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion
 
APRMK6GTi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
Golf R has EA113. Which was the engine MK5 GTI comes with, but with K04 instead of K03, among other things. I don't actually know why the new EA888 is a gen 3 though? Is the MK6 GTI 2.0T Gen 1 or Gen 2?
i think ours is Gen 2, they have a EA888 1.8T one before the 2.0T
__________________
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | APR Carbonio | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | DG Springs | OZ Alleggerita | TT-RS Brakes | Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero Parts | P3 |
Nor Cal Bay Area FB Group Feel free to join!
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #26
Noize
FIA GT Champion
 
Noize's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Evo X
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,246
The gen 3 is definitely less of a performance version than the gen 2. VW definitely isn't concerned with the aftermarket on these and is moving more toward green.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #27
Halvie
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2010 Penalty Box
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 4,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
The gen 3 is definitely less of a performance version than the gen 2. VW definitely isn't concerned with the aftermarket on these and is moving more toward green.
Should start to think of another name for the car than gti then
__________________
Items for sale to buyers in the US only
Halvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #28
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion
 
RacingManiac's Avatar
 
Drives: Bye MK6, Hello MK7 PP GTI
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 4,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
The gen 3 is definitely less of a performance version than the gen 2. VW definitely isn't concerned with the aftermarket on these and is moving more toward green.
What makes you say that? The full beef Gen 3 is no less "performance oriented" than anything gen 2...its just it looks like the NA market specific version won't be the full beef version....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #29
MikeinNJ
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Soon to be 2013 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 6
Motors for US will be made in Mexico. Aren't current 2.0 TSI euro produced and shipped to Mexico for GLI/Turbo Beetle assembly?

Also, plastic oil pan? Wtf!

My first GTI is looking to definitely be a MK6. Not to say MK7 won't be good, but I can't see the first year or two being relatively problem free given VW's track record. Significant motor revision, different plant location for GTI production, new front diff, and of course the new MQB architecture. Just seems like a lot of new stuff for one generation.

I'll take the last model year of the MK6. Regardless of make/model, anyone I know that has the last production year of a vehicle has had a virtually trouble free experience.
MikeinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #30
reelknead1
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2010 CSG GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,428
I actually disagree with some saying that this car is less performance oriented. It may not come with all the new tech but the basic motor will help tuners produce power out of the motor. Look at the amount of power the A4 makes with a K04 vs the GTI with K04. All that tech doesn't always mean more power.

Again though we won't know until we get the motor to play with
reelknead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #31
Jcap287
FIA GT Champion
 
Jcap287's Avatar
 
Drives: candy white gti
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh pa
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelknead1 View Post
I actually disagree with some saying that this car is less performance oriented. It may not come with all the new tech but the basic motor will help tuners produce power out of the motor. Look at the amount of power the A4 makes with a K04 vs the GTI with K04. All that tech doesn't always mean more power.

Again though we won't know until we get the motor to play with
it just means more things that will break haha
__________________
Build Thread : http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread...74#post1747774
Jcap287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #32
reelknead1
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2010 CSG GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcap287 View Post
it just means more things that will break haha
Exactly. I'd give up 10-15hp of a difference on a stage 3 car if it means i don't have to worry about a water pump failure or a timing chain tensioner. Maybe that's just me though. I don't plan on buying a Mk7 so I guess it doesn't matter to me. Hopefully the S3 has a baller engine.
reelknead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #33
mdhollis
Formula 5000 Champion
 
mdhollis's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 2,769
We don't need more tech we just need a ttrs minded gti. A 2.5 turbo gti to shut us up then the standard gti for everyone else. I think there would be a huge market for that under 40k
mdhollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #34
Noize
FIA GT Champion
 
Noize's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Evo X
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
What makes you say that? The full beef Gen 3 is no less "performance oriented" than anything gen 2...its just it looks like the NA market specific version won't be the full beef version....
It's already not a performance oriented engine for sure, but some things in that PDF I don't like:
-Thinwall crankcase
-Plastic lower oil pan
-Simple exhaust camshaft

Things that already plague the EA888 certainly remaining unchanged:
-Long stroke, doesn't rev
-Turbocharger integrated into exhaust manifold
-Rods
-Sandwiched intercooler design
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.