GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 2.. Fuel cut in top of 3rd gear

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
P0088 & P2096 APR Stage 2.. Power cut in top of 3rd gear

Resolved: Exhaust leak

So, I experienced a fuel cut at the top of 3rd on two different runs, I did not hit the limiter.. it basically felt like the fuel pump couldn't deliver.. similar to how some older cars will starve real quick if you floor it with less than a quarter of a tank.

Scanned with VCDS and found P0088.. *later P2096

I searched.. where is the solution? All I found are outdated posts saying 'fixed this and the code is gone' then 'oops now it's back'.

If it only cuts at 6500rpm in 3rd, my dealer is not going to replace it for free without stalling (FX400) another 30 times..

Arin, anybody?

:iono:

Last edited:

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
If it's a misfire, R8 packs and new plugs gapped to?

Finally threw a code.. I think I might have an exhaust leak.. can anyone confirm B&B downpipe clamps aren't up to par?

2 Faults Found:
000136 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure
P0088 - 000 - Too High - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 3
Mileage: 32508 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.14.25
Time: 18:59:50

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 762 /min
Load: 17.6 %
Speed: 2.0 km/h
Temperature: 82.0∞C
Temperature: 43.0∞C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.589 V

008342 - Post-Catalyst Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Correction; Bank 1
P2096 - 000 - Too Lean - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 4
Mileage: 32757 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.14.27
Time: 20:51:18

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1947 /min
Load: 26.3 %
Speed: 39.0 km/h
Temperature: 102.0∞C
Temperature: 30.0∞C
Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
Voltage: 13.716 V

Readiness: 0010 0001

Last edited:
B

Bronson@APR

What's the hardware on this car?

It looks like those codes aren't the codes related to your issues at the top of the powerband, one of them happened at idle and the other below 2,000 RPM. This may be related to a wacky fuel trim.

Fuel trims can be caused by intake leaks, aftermarket intake, fueling system that isn't up to par or a multitude of other things.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion

It looks like those codes aren't the codes related to your issues at the top of the powerband, one of them happened at idle and the other below 2,000 RPM. This may be related to a wacky fuel trim.

Fuel trims can be caused by intake leaks, aftermarket intake, fueling system that isn't up to par or a multitude of other things.

Hes got APR stage 1 and 2 Carbonio intake, I've got Injen CAI

excelevant

Go Kart Champion

Bronson,

As stated the car is equipped with Carbonio 1&2 and the S3 intercooler.

I'll double check all connections on the intake and exhaust.

Would you recommend replacing all the original B&B clamps with V-bands to cover any exhaust leaks?

Also, will the car misfire without showing it on the ecu?

Last edited:

steemax

Go Kart Champion
As stated by Bronson, I don't think is tune related, I also experienced P0088 code for a while and it turned out to be a crack in the Turbo pressure pipe. That took care of that, and I'm not to sure what's up with the second post cat O2 sensor, but it seems to be an issue in the lower RPM range according to your scan so technically it shouldn't be the cause, but you never know.

PS: After some research it seems P2096 could be anything ranging from a simple vacuum leak to an exhaust leak.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
As stated by Bronson, I don't think is tune related, I also experienced P0088 code for a while and it turned out to be a crack in the Turbo pressure pipe. That took care of that, and I'm not to sure what's up with the second post cat O2 sensor, but it seems to be an issue in the lower RPM range according to your scan so technically it shouldn't be the cause, but you never know.

PS: After some research it seems P2096 could be anything ranging from a simple vacuum leak to an exhaust leak.

My down pipe is likely leaking after the recent install. Seafoam leak discovery technique ftw?

steemax

Go Kart Champion
My down pipe is likely leaking after the recent install. Seafoam leak discovery technique ftw?

More than likely, well if you have experience using sea foam go for it, if not I've heard of some issues using sea foam with our cars... Otherwise if the downpipe is new it shouldn't have had discolored yet so you should easily be able to find leaks, there should be some buildup

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
More than likely, well if you have experience using sea foam go for it, if not I've heard of some issues using sea foam with our cars... Otherwise if the downpipe is new it shouldn't have had discolored yet so you should easily be able to find leaks, there should be some buildup

I remember some having trouble with sea foam on our cars too, although I can't really imagine why and want to attribute it to user error.. decided to hold off on buying some and do some more research tonight and get under the car to look tomorrow. The dp is new so I'm thinking I may not need the foam.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I remember some having trouble with sea foam on our cars too, although I can't really imagine why and want to attribute it to user error.. decided to hold off on buying some and do some more research tonight and get under the car to look tomorrow. The dp is new so I'm thinking I may not need the foam.

Yeah you should easily be able to see a leak then with a flashlight, also I'm not to familiar on your downpipe, is it a vband clamp? Or a sleeve?