GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Possible issue with 1st gear or throttle?

spikernum1

Ready to race!
I bought a new 2012 GTI a month ago and I have been wondering if there may be a problem with first gear.

I'm having to push the gas pedal nearly halfway to get RPM over 2500. Then when it shifts to 2nd in drive while giving the same gas, or even if I shift manually, it is too much power in comparison to first. I usually have to let off the gas after 1st to keep the acceleration constant with no jerk forward. It's not a huge jerk, but I'm just concerned that first gear is requiring more throttle than it actually should.

I've owned several types of car and driving several more - however, never a VW until now. This is definitely something that feels odd to me.

Anyone know if this is normal behavior?

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
There's throttle lag with this electronic pedal that takes some getting used to but

I'm having to push the gas pedal nearly halfway to get RPM over 2500.

is not normal for me at all.

renn

i also just bought my gti and i noticed more or less the same thing in first gear after letting the clutch out - the car needs a little extra throttle around 1500-2000 rpm, then the turbo spools and i have to back off the gas pedal or shift.

i'm attributing it to minor turbo lag... it's not that big of a deal to me although i can see how it might be more annoying with the DSG. hopefully it smooths out going stage 1.

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
It's not turbo lag. It's initial lag in response to the accelerator and it is annoying as shit. It really takes the enjoyment out of the car for me. I've a DSG. I find myself not looking forward to going to the car to drive it.

Stage 1 tune (APR) does not help it at all. Still a pain in the ass

Edit: well it's not that big a deal or issue but an mild annoyance all the same. But dont need to be that hard on the pedal to push it halfway. Only a fraction more than normal

Last edited:

spikernum1

Ready to race!
It makes me feel better that others are experiencing it and its not a malfunction with mine.

Wonder if getting Unitronic Stage 1+ DSG Flash will help the response.

Anyone go through this experience and find that it gets resolved with ECU mod?

xd-data-ii

Go Kart Champion
People have reported that the Giac stage 1 tune improves it way more than the APR one.
I believe there are threads discussing that.