GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

View Poll Results: Autobahn Package...Worth It?
I have the Autobahn package and I would do it again. 95 43.58%
I have the Autobahn package and I would NOT do it again. 3 1.38%
I don't have the Autobahn, but would have added it if i could($$/availability). 42 19.27%
I was never interested in the Autobahn package. 78 35.78%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
troyguitar
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: 2004 Z06, 2005 Vibe GT
I can't imagine spending $30k+ on a Golf and it not being a Golf R.

Proclip mount + phone/tablet = better nav system than the VW one.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
misaka
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Turbo Corolla
It's not that it's not worth the price by itself, it's more of the price range it gets into. Especially if you're not interested in the MK7

I looked at a 4 door autobahn DSG before, and that's 32,095.

The Audi A3 Premium plus DSG front wheel drive is 30,750, granted you need to add 1100 for a panoramic sunroof, and 2000$ for navigation, But it's almost the same price.

If you wanted AWD the premium plus model is 32850 in DSG. If you are a MT person they have the MT models for less also, just trying to do an apples to apples comparison.

This is just my personal viewpoint. I'll probably be all over an S3 if it comes here, because while I love the GTI, it just has some fit and fitment issues which make it seem not worth it at the 30k-32k price range.
misaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
D Griff
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: POORVETTE
I say no. I mean it's about $6 or $7k more than base, which is about/close to 30%. Definitely not worth it when you consider it's the same car, same drivetrain, etc. Too close to Golf R prices to be worth it IMO. Will you mod your car? That makes it even less worth it, I think a K04'd Autobahn GTI will cost you more than a Stage 1 R... not worth it. I also love the plaid seats, like that base is lighter and simpler, like driving MT, etc. And the Serrons are hideous (subjective).

Like others have said, look to lightly used if you want an Autobahn, you'll take a bath on those depreciating options, or someone else could do it for you.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #18
flyguy27
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 328i Sport line
I love my autobahn. It was between sunroof and nav for me but when i saw the little price difference to get kessy, leather and dynaudio i gave in as i wanted no regrets. I am very happy with the leather seats. It is up to your personality and must have features. I dont purchase base or stripped down cars.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
The AB or premium package (R) are totally worth it, imho. Esp considering most Audi's don't even have the same equipment for under $40k.. trust me, I know! lol

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #20
hcappie
Autocross Newbie

Drives: '13 GTI 4Dr Autobahn 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy27 View Post
I love my autobahn. It was between sunroof and nav for me but when i saw the little price difference to get kessy, leather and dynaudio i gave in as i wanted no regrets. I am very happy with the leather seats. It is up to your personality and must have features. I dont purchase base or stripped down cars.
^ I have to agree 100%. I came off an Audi A6. Downgrading is tough to do but I wanted new, not used or CPO. Had no intention of getting an Autobahn until I sat in it & drove it. I DO NOT REGRET IT FOR A MINUTE! Had I gone with a lesser packaged car I would be regretting it every day. It's not just the driving dynamics that make the car, it's the overall package and what feels good to you. For me it was the Autobahn, no less.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
faseljd

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
If you can afford it go for it.The headlights are too cool, thus the aftermarket copies. I love mine.Like the sunroof, nav is good too, better than tacking something on later. Leather seats look so much classier than grandpas flannel shirt material. Kessy is awesome,stereo is great unless you want to be that boom boom guy sitting at a light with your ball cap on sideways. Detroits are dated, Serrons look more modern. Hec, everything is subjective to ones own taste, just get what you like and can afford and enjoy. My opinions are just mine, and shouldnt really mean anything in your decision.
faseljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
nuggstein
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 4door DSG GTI, APR Stage 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
I think cloth is ugly and cheap looking so autobahn was the only option for me
Our Interlagos cloth seats are certainly not cheap...lol...they don't even look cheap.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
techchallenger
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2011 VW GTI 4-Door Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by nouse4aname View Post
It's worth it in a year old used CPO since the options depreciate so fast. The leather, moonroof, xenons, touchscreen, etc gets tons of compliments.

Not so sure about new. The cloth is very love it or hate it.
^ This is my answer as well. Also, like Gunkata said, the technology and features compare favorably to an A3 for a much better price.
techchallenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
blitzoid
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI Autobahn 6sp, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by techchallenger View Post
^ This is my answer as well. Also, like Gunkata said, the technology and features compare favorably to an A3 for a much better price.
Bought my autobahn used for ~20,250, 1 year old, 20k miles, non-CPO. Def. worth it at that price, but agree - new, it's a bit touch-and-go.
blitzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #25
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by techchallenger View Post
favorably? it destroys it!

I bought the A3 as a CPO with about 8500 miles on it. The sticker was still in the car and it went for $37K+... and, it did not having the following items/comparable items from the AB GTI:

1. Sport seats - came with leather, but pretty bad ones

2. Nav

3. Premium Sound System - base setup seems better than the base stuff in VW's though, but not as good as the AB/Dynaudio.. close.

4. Kessy / push button start

5. AFS/Cornering lights, just the xenons (but has the LED's of course)

6. rear AC vents - I was like, wut?

So yeah, lots of things the AB GTI gets for $31-$32K MSRP compared to even my "premium plus" A3 that stickered for $37K+ and came with "panoramic roof/sky package" and climatronic.. whoopdie doo! lol..

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
DUBPL8
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Golf TDI [Gone], EJ6 Civic hatch
I'd go Autobahn but only CPO so at least you save money and still get a longer warranty.

Win win.

New? Forget about it, just get the Golf R and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubessa View Post
TDI: Thick Dick Injection
DUBPL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #27
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Autobanh package is definitely cool if it fits your needs. I originally wanted the base model because I don't really care for navigation/leather seats/sunroof, but I really wanted the OEM HIDs w/LED & AFS, so I sprung for the Navi+Sunroof package. I actually really like the look and feel of the cloth seats. I had leather in my previous car before and overtime the butt wrinkles in the seat develops and ruins the look of the seat. In that respect, I kind of like leatherette from BMW...I've seen 6 yr old leathrettes that look pretty much like new, I know I know its fake leather.
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | TT-RS Brakes | Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero Parts | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club Feel free to join!
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
corydd
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '10 CW GTI DSG Autobahn
Find a 1 or 2 year old CPO Autobahn and you can get a fantastic deal.