GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

View Poll Results: Autobahn Package...Worth It?
I have the Autobahn package and I would do it again. 95 43.58%
I have the Autobahn package and I would NOT do it again. 3 1.38%
I don't have the Autobahn, but would have added it if i could($$/availability). 42 19.27%
I was never interested in the Autobahn package. 78 35.78%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #57
Fordson
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 SB 4door MT GTI - Autobahn
I think the cloth in the GTI is very nice cloth...damn nice. I didn't get the AB just to have leather - the seats in it are different seats - they're not just base seats with leather.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #58
soular
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
If you're concerned about efficiency, why not get the TDI then?
I edited my post a bit, but I'm not *super* concerned with it, just don't want to go less than what I have now. If the GTD was to make it to the states, that would probably be at the top of my list though because I like the look of the GTI way better than the TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouse4aname View Post
The GTI is the sweet spot on performance and efficiency.
This too.
soular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #59
Dubpower786
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 16 BSM M2
I looked at a few base GTIs and were pretty impressed with the quality of the interior and features but after checking out the autobahn i was sold on it. Yes its pretty expensive as compared to the base but like a lot of people have said earlier, it all comes down to what you really want. I always preferred leather, gives the car a more upscale feel. The Dynaudio sound system is amazing. The HID and LEDs are a nice touch, granted you get the with Sunroof and nav package. The NAV i don't really care for, its ok but i think most smartphones would be better.

I have seen many guys buy the base and end up installing the premium options later. I would skip the hassle and go with the Autobahn if you getting a decent deal. Just my 2c
Dubpower786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #60
DUBPL8
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Golf TDI [Gone], EJ6 Civic hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubpower786 View Post
I have seen many guys buy the base and end up installing the premium options later. I would skip the hassle and go with the Autobahn if you getting a decent deal. Just my 2c
Yeah I have to agree. Even if you get the stuff cheaper, it won't be covered under warranty I'm sure since they didn't come with it from the factory. At least that peace of mind alone should be worth it for many.

I went the base route with my TDI because I only wanted the Bi-Xenons and couldn't justify forking out thousands of dollars extra for the stupid Tech Package and ended up buying a set (only to trade them for the Plaid seats lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubessa View Post
TDI: Thick Dick Injection
DUBPL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #61
ElectricEye
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: '15 MK7 GTI Reflex Silver
I wanted leather, but when I saw the interlagos I was hooked - and I figured why not save the money?
If I lease another one when my lease expires in December it'l probably be an Autobahn because I'm better off financially than I was three years ago.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #62
misaka
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Turbo Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by soular View Post
For those of you saying to get the R or the A3 instead, I've compared all of these and in the end, for me at least, it ends up coming down to gas mileage. With the R and A3, you are losing about 5 mpg average (if I remember right). To me, that's a pretty significant drop. I don't plan on modding mine when I get it, and I definitely don't plan on racing, so the economy is one of the biggest selling points for me and why I don't get the more expensive car. To me, the autobahn is more of a complete package because you get a bit of luxury with the decent economy. Now, when all of the next gens come out, the mileage may not be as skewed, so hopefully it'll open up those other options for me. Even if the R gets as good of mileage as the current GTI, I may even consider it. I guess my goal is to get to as close to 30mpg as possible because that's what I'm getting now and don't really want to step down.
Though in all fairness, if you get the A3 with front wheel drive like the GTI you get the same gas mileage basically. AWD with the R and the A3 you get AWD, but a loss of mileage, which is true on AWD in general. After this GTI, I think I want AWD on the next car I get. I get so much wheel spin in the all seasons if I even push it a bit with stage 1. Feels like I'm wasting so much power that could be used to move the car forward. If you do like mpg, then the GTD would be a great option when it comes out here for you.
misaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #63
KYGTIGuy
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: at nothing
Wanted the interlogos
KYGTIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #64
Baldeagle

Drives: 2010 GTI, 6MT, 2-door, Tornado Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by soular View Post
For those of you saying to get the R or the A3 instead, I've compared all of these and in the end, for me at least, it ends up coming down to gas mileage. With the R and A3, you are losing about 5 mpg average (if I remember right). To me, that's a pretty significant drop. I don't plan on modding mine when I get it, and I definitely don't plan on racing, so the economy is one of the biggest selling points for me and why I don't get the more expensive car. To me, the autobahn is more of a complete package because you get a bit of luxury with the decent economy. Now, when all of the next gens come out, the mileage may not be as skewed, so hopefully it'll open up those other options for me. Even if the R gets as good of mileage as the current GTI, I may even consider it. I guess my goal is to get to as close to 30mpg as possible because that's what I'm getting now and don't really want to step down.
I know Misaka just made this point, but according to Edmunds.com, the 6MT GTI is rated at 21/31 and the 6MT FWD Audi A3-Wagon is rated at 21/30. The A3 Quattro only returns 21/28. But still, that is the same city mileage and only 3 fewer mpg on the highway. In FWD form, the A3 and the GTI get essentially the same mpg.

Perhaps more interesting, according to Edmunds.com the 6MT A3-Wagon with the Premium Plus package AND the Titanium Sport Package lists for $32,145. According to Edmunds.com, a 4-door Autobahn, 6MT GTI lists for $31,845. I know this all personal, but for my money I will argue that for $300 more (MSRP), a nicely optioned Audi A3 is a better value. I love my GTI, but for a few hundred dollars more I would much rather drive a sporty “entry-level luxury car” than a sporty “people’s” car. But that is just one person’s opinion.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #65
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
Didn't want leather.

Wish I sprung for the Nav package for the Xenons alone, tho.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 120K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Black emblems/grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #66
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordson View Post
MSRP on my car was $30,610. I got it for $28,578. Nobody is paying $32+k for these cars...and there is no $8k gulf between base and AB - base is going for $23,600 and AB is going for $28,600. Well worth it to me to pay the extra $5k.
yes, but alot of people DO pay MSRP for cars.. happens all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
If you're concerned about efficiency, why not get the TDI then?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by misaka View Post
Though in all fairness, if you get the A3 with front wheel drive like the GTI you get the same gas mileage basically. AWD with the R and the A3 you get AWD, but a loss of mileage, which is true on AWD in general. After this GTI, I think I want AWD on the next car I get. I get so much wheel spin in the all seasons if I even push it a bit with stage 1. Feels like I'm wasting so much power that could be used to move the car forward. If you do like mpg, then the GTD would be a great option when it comes out here for you.
The A3 does pretty well with mpg, even with K04, compared to my GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYGTIGuy View Post
Wanted the interlogos
Interlogos = between the logos!??!

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #67
KYGTIGuy
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: at nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
yes, but alot of people DO pay MSRP for cars.. happens all the time.

+1

The A3 does pretty well with mpg, even with K04, compared to my GTI

Interlogos = between the logos!??!
What I say? What ju say?
KYGTIGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #68
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
you said interlogos.. its interlagos... that is all.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #69
Nena2357

Drives: 2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Send a message via Skype™ to Nena2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleazn248 View Post
This is a really a each there own kind of deal. I'm used to driving luxury cars so for me a premium audio system and leather was already a must. I must also note that kessey is a nice addition as well as the more exclusive serron wheels.
I too have an Autobahn and agree with you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Nena2357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #70
colslaw87
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG 4dr 6spd
I bought my base model GTI for ~22k with 14 miles on the ODO. At the time I just couldn't justify spending an extra ~8-9k for "fancy options". The base model doesn't skimp on standard features either. Plus I love the plaid seats. If I wanted a leather hatchback with more options, I would have looked into the Audi A3 or A4 Avant. I have no buyers remorse.

I agree with others. It really comes down to the seats and personal preference. If your in love with the plaid, then your choice is obvious.
colslaw87 is offline   Reply With Quote