GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 04-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
BusinessAsUsual
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '15 GTI
Wheel change -- How retarded am I?

Alright so first off I have to say I know sweet nothing about mechanic related stuff. I've never done a wheel change by myself... sadly

But this should be straight forward right? I picked up a decent jack for the car... Some basic Michelin Hydraulic Trolley jack. So today I started to get to work. I start loosing up the bolts of the first wheel, everything's cool, until I get to the bolt with the lock on it.

I put the adapter into the stock VW wrench, get the pattern into the bolt, try to force it... but the SOB won't loosen up?!?! I even fucked up a couple teeth in the lock's adapter:

What the f? What am I missing here?

Is it because I'm using this crappy stock VW wrench?

While trying to force it, I felt like I lost grip of the pattern because of the shape of the wrench, which caused damage to the lock adapter. Maybe should I go out and buy a cross wrench?

I feel like a complete moron not being able to swap out my wheels LOL.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
2013R
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
mostly because of that wrench. its hard to put straight pressure into the lock as you turn it with that oem wrench.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
BusinessAsUsual
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013R View Post
mostly because of that wrench. its hard to put straight pressure into the lock as you turn it with that oem wrench.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking.

What the hell did VW think? Putting that scary half-scissor jack and that obnoxious wrench in our cars I thought I could just use what's provided in the trunk and go to town. I guess not.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
WhosRich
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 Shadow Blue VW GTI
Use a breaker bar if you have one around. If not, try putting the key into the wrench and inserting to that it's parallel to the ground. Then stand on the wrench to loosen the lug bolt.
WhosRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhosRich View Post
Use a breaker bar if you have one around. If not, try putting the key into the wrench and inserting to that it's parallel to the ground. Then stand on the wrench to loosen the lug bolt.
This.

That wrench/pipe they include isn't long enough to break bolts loose.......unless you stand on it. That's what I've had to do every time I need to change out to the spare.

A good method to break the lock bolt is to put the key in first, and make sure you have it in tight. Then you can attach the wrench/pipe to the bolt key, make sure you have it parallel to the ground, and stand on it to break the bolt loose.
APR Stage 2 :: Clear side markers :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: RDash LED license plate lights :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip

LightningRhod's quest to 200k and beyond
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
MKVInce
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CW GTI 6MT, 2007 OB G35 Coupe
I learned the hard way with my previous car and now I have a 2 foot breaker bar in my trunk. Thanks to it when I had a flat last weekend, I swapped the spare in a breeze. I always keep a breaker bar and a torque wrench under my trunk carpet. Breaker bar for removal and torque wrench for tightening the bolts.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
chad1376
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI - CW - 4DR
I'd say some ham-fisted monkey at a tire-shop used a pnuematic impact wrench and overtightened your lug nuts - not your fault.

I suppose the bright side is, you discovered it in your driveway, and not on a loney dark road in the rain.

A cross wrench may help keep the adaptor straight, assuming it's not already too f'd up. I think I'd get a new adapter first. It might be safest at this to have a shop loosen the nut (again with an impact wrench), and then re-tighten the lug nuts to spec before your drive home.
chad1376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
reelknead1
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 CSG GTI
I had this happen to me the first time I tried to change a tire on this car. Best thing you cam do is go down to harbor freight and pick up a breaker bar for 10 buck. That bad boy will come off with hardly any effort.
reelknead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessAsUsual View Post
What the hell did VW think? Putting that scary half-scissor jack and that obnoxious wrench in our cars I thought I could just use what's provided in the trunk and go to town. I guess not.
Most car manufacturers will include a "widow maker" (good enough to get the car up temporarily, but less than ideal) as well as a short wrench to get the job done. Not optimal tools, but good enough. Just gotta use more muscle .
APR Stage 2 :: Clear side markers :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: RDash LED license plate lights :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip

LightningRhod's quest to 200k and beyond
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
rawbdog
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: Bird shit stained cute snatchback
i think it happens a lot on cars in general. adam7seven came over to my house to swap rims, when i pulled out my tools to do it, the fucking 1/2 to 3/8 adapter just snapped right off. swithced to a heavy duy air gun adapter and it came off. people just torque the shit out of lugnuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubessa View Post
sex, when done right, should leave both people smiling, exhausted, and covered in mysterious substances.
rawbdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
BusinessAsUsual
FIA GT Newbie

Thanks guys. I'll head over at an auto store to find a breaker bar and an appropriate torque wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningRhod View Post
Most car manufacturers will include a "widow maker" (good enough to get the car up temporarily, but less than ideal) as well as a short wrench to get the job done. Not optimal tools, but good enough. Just gotta use more muscle .
Ahahaha, I did use some muscle, but it stripped nearly half of my lock nut Loving the Widow Maker nickname by the way
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
Jlove8128
Autocross Champion

Drives: CSG 4 door
I had this happen after a shop used an air ratchet to put my wheels back on and obviously did not have the torque set right. Sucked I had to have it towed to a shop and broken off. Even worse I had expensive wheels on my mk4 at the time and the scraped the shit out of the wheel doing it!
Jlove8128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Balt21
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 TR GTI
As others have said, a breaker bar will make your life easier. If you don't have one, a big (thick) screwdriver in the end of the wrench will even help you haha. I also usually put the key on first and then the wrench as someone else suggested.
Balt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
johnny_p
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Shop used an impact to get the wheel on. Don't have them mess with your wheels anymore.

The dealer I take my car to is very cautious about this. Every time I've had to mess with the wheels on my own they have been properly torqued to about 60 ft-lb and are easy to get off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert MVIGTI View Post
Petrol kicked the tires so hard that night the front half of his Cole Hahns are still wedged underneath those GS RAMZ.
johnny_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #15
2013R
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
Shop used an impact to get the wheel on. Don't have them mess with your wheels anymore.

The dealer I take my car to is very cautious about this. Every time I've had to mess with the wheels on my own they have been properly torqued to about 60 ft-lb and are easy to get off.
60 ft lb is way too low for any wheel lug nut. thats like a 70's car rating..
Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #16
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: MKV TSI GTI; 2012 Golf TDI 6M
Yeah Johnny; 60 Ft-Lbs is way too low for wheel bolts; VW MK6 Golf/GTI OEM recommendation is 88 Ft-Lbs.

Go have them properly torque your wheels, or grab your torque wrench and do them yourself.
VR6Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #17
troyguitar
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: 2004 Z06, 2005 Vibe GT
I also just got a decent 1/2" breaker bar and leave a 17mm deepwell permanently attached to it in the car. No need to also leave a torque wrench in the car IMO... you can always retorque when you get home.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
MKVInce
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CW GTI 6MT, 2007 OB G35 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
I also just got a decent 1/2" breaker bar and leave a 17mm deepwell permanently attached to it in the car. No need to also leave a torque wrench in the car IMO... you can always retorque when you get home.
Why not lol? We have plenty of space under the carpet, and the weight is minimal .
Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
troyguitar
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: 2004 Z06, 2005 Vibe GT
I just like to take a minimalist approach. Unless I'm going to the race track that is, then I bring every tool and part that I own.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
thedude4bides
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '12 Golf R
That's weird... I changed all 4 of my wheels using the BS tools that come stock in the trunk. I have to think that somewhere along the way someone over tightened you nuts.
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote