GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
gulewamkulu
Autocross Newbie

Drives: CW 11 gti MT
car shuddering, rough idle, help!!

Hey guys, my car has been running rough for about a month now, it idles rough but rpm's seem not to fluctuate, and when I turn on the ignition it seems to reluctantly start. I got an EPC light several weeks ago, but as soon as I turned the car off and on it went away. My car has 36000 miles and is bone stock. I contacted 2 dealers in the area, but they keep saying that unless they can replicate the problem, there is nothing they can do, hence pointless to set up an appointment. What would you guys recommend I do in this case, I am not enjoying my car as much anymore, and dont feel like driving all the way to the dealership if they are seeming this negative before taking the time to properly inspect my car, instead of brushing off customers.
gulewamkulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
PRND[S]
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: LSG 2015 Golf R / APR Stage 1
The dealers are idiots. The ECU will store DTCs that should tell them the cause of the problem. It could be the ignition coiils, very common.
PRND[S] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
gulewamkulu
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND[S] View Post
The dealers are idiots. The ECU will store DTCs that should tell them the cause of the problem. It could be the ignition coiils, very common.
PRND[S], thats exactly what I was having in mind, super frustrating that these guys just wanna be dicks whenever they can.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
PRND[S]
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: LSG 2015 Golf R / APR Stage 1
See if you can find someone with VCDS that can get the codes for you. Ideally you want to look for them as soon as the CEL comes on, many codes clear themselves after a specified number of drive cycles where the problem does not occur.
PRND[S] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
gulewamkulu
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND[S] View Post
See if you can find someone with VCDS that can get the codes for you. Ideally you want to look for them as soon as the CEL comes on, many codes clear themselves after a specified number of drive cycles where the problem does not occur.
Sounds like a good way to go, thanks a lot!
Old 11-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI 6MT Cdn Base Model
gulewamkulu:

Did you ever find out the cause of the rough idle problem you posted about back in 2013?

I have a similar issue with my 2013 GTI. Mine is 100% stock and only 17k miles (27.5k km). During idle, normally when the engine is warm, sometimes the engine 'stumbles' every few seconds, as if a cylinder didn't fire correctly. But there are no MILs lighting up on the instrument cluster. However, sometimes the engine runs perfectly smooth as well. The dealer did a 'scan' and reported "no codes stored".
Fyodor Dostoevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
Sauce118
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 VW GTI (6spd White)
Try to get a new PCV... That was my issue when I had a rough idle.
2010 GTi 6 spd:Candy White: CTS K04 W/APR v3.12: AQUAMIST HFS-4 v3.1 W/M Direct Port: PELOQUIN LSD: CTS Downpipe: Beluga CatBack: ARM Motorsports FMIC: CTS CAI: CTS BOV Kit: RSR Clutch: CTS Charge Pipes: Fluidampr Pulley: Koni Coilovers: WALK Kit: SPM Full Mounts: DieselGeek SS w/ bushings: TyrloSport Caliper Stiffener: Eurosport Front & Rear Strut Bar: STERN Brace: SS ECS Brake Lines: StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors x4: HID's: 'R' Grill: Various Cosmetics MY OUT-DATED BUILD
Sauce118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI 6MT Cdn Base Model
Sauce118:

How bad was the rough idle problem on your car?

Were there fault codes indicating a problem?
Fyodor Dostoevsky is offline   Reply With Quote