GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Bcon
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI 4dr CW DSG CBFA
APR Intercooler installed -but what is this?

I installed a APR intercooler today, and came across the item circled in the attached image. This thing was clipped into the radiator fins and had a small probe sticking out from the bottom that stuck into the fins.

As interesting as it was, the problem was that with it in place it wouldn't allow the APR intercooler to seat back against the radiator properly. So, it got pulled out of the radiator and it's now zip tied to the horn bracket for safe keeping.

Ideas? My VW tech friend has an opinion, but he wasn't sure. The way it was latched on there it looked like some type of electronic leach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiator.JPG (126.5 KB, 20637 views)

Last edited by Bcon; 04-20-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: image
Bcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
mdhollis
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: S3
Thermostat for coolant, no?
mdhollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Bcon
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhollis View Post
Thermostat for coolant, no?
It could be some type of temperature probe, but it's an odd shape for that. It's not the coolant temp sensor.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #4
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI APR K04 V.3.1
Direct Ozone Reduction Catalyst Temperature Sensor///// Radiator Identification Sensor.
THE #1 BBK KIT WITH A GREAT PRICE AND THE ANSWER IS V-MAX V-MAXX V-MAXX..............GET IT TO YOUR THICK HEAD OR SHOW ME PROOF THEY ARE CRAP
Gti For Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
Bcon
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti For Me View Post
Direct Ozone Reduction Catalyst Temperature Sensor///// Radiator Identification Sensor.
That's what my friend thought. Something that was required to get the overall vehicle emissions certified.

I wonder if not having this attached to the radiator is going to throw a code. I guess I'll find out.

Like I said, it had to be removed from the radiator for the APR intercooler to fit, there wasn't enough clearance between the radiator and the intercooler for it to stay there.

Last edited by Bcon; 04-21-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Bcon
Oval Newbie

Update - CEL triggered after about 100 miles - code P2568.

My understanding is now that the radiator has an ozone reducing catalyst coating that converts ozone back to oxygen when air passess over it. Manufacturers get an emissions credit for this, but as part of that the system has to be tamper evident. So, the sensor I removed from the fins and relocated is there to indicate if the system has been tampered with, and it triggers a CEL.

What I don't know yet is if it works by only checking operating temperature of the radiator, or if it actually senses it's been removed by breaking some type of contact.

My first step will be to space the radiator back from the intercooler a bit and put the sensor back in place. I'll then clear the code and see if it comes back.

If that doesn't work, and if this sensor is meant to trigger a CEL if it's been pulled out of the radiator at any point, I think the only fix for the CEL/code is to replace the radiator with a new one that has the sensor installed. VW lists two radiators for my car, a SULEV version and a non-SULEV version. I assume the SULEV version is the one with the sensor.

Last edited by Bcon; 04-24-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTX2867 GTi Autobahn 6mt
Do all CBF motors have that sensor? Has anyone else had this problem with any IC?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Gti For Me
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI APR K04 V.3.1
2012 and up vehical's CBFA and CCTA
THE #1 BBK KIT WITH A GREAT PRICE AND THE ANSWER IS V-MAX V-MAXX V-MAXX..............GET IT TO YOUR THICK HEAD OR SHOW ME PROOF THEY ARE CRAP
Gti For Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Speeddemon69
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI
Any update? Can u just put it on the other side of the radiator?
Speeddemon69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
Bcon
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon69 View Post
Any update? Can u just put it on the other side of the radiator?
You'd have to remove some radiator fins to put it somewhere else.

I'll post after I try to put it back. It might be a week or two before I get time to to take things apart again.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTX2867 GTi Autobahn 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti For Me View Post
2012 and up vehical's CBFA and CCTA
Good to know... I won't have to deal with that bullshit
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
mdhollis
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: S3
That's crazy. There are soooo many pain in the ass stupid emissions sensors it's ridiculous.

Can you put it on the other side of the radiator? Will it reach?
mdhollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
Bcon
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhollis View Post
That's crazy. There are soooo many pain in the ass stupid emissions sensors it's ridiculous.

Can you put it on the other side of the radiator? Will it reach?
I agree. This one's really pushing the nanny state stuff. I mean c'mon beaurocrats.

It will reach the other side, but like I said there's a section of cooling fins removed from where it goes. To move it somewhere else, I'd have to remove more cooling fins somewhere, then find a way to secure it.

My first try will be to put it back where it came from, then space the radiator back from the inter cooler a bit with some spacers and longer bolts to provide enough clearance.

I'm not optimistic that putting it back in place will prevent the CEL. From what I've been able to find, it might be made so that just removing it from the radiator destroys it (tamper evident system). I'm keeping my fingers crossed that works only by monitoring temperature though.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
Noize
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 Evo X
Could you install a Golf R IC and have plenty of clearance to not have this issue?
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote