GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk6 TDI or MK7 TDI?

adlf88

Hey guys,
New member here with a quest to find some good advice. Hope you guys can help me...
I recently got a new job where I'm going to be commuting about 45miles(90miles round trip). I was planing to wait for the golf mk7 tdi but with this new job and my current crappy car, I'm in need of a new car.
Because of the cost of gas here in California I'm not considering the GTI just yet but instead I'm considering a golf mk6 TDI for my commute purposes. I love the current look of the golf and also the mk7. I never had a TDI before so I don't know how to compare it with other cars or their reliability.
In terms of the TDI lineup, is there going to be a huge improvement from the mk6 tdi to the mk7 tdi?
Here in the US we are expected to get the mk7 until approx April 2014. I'm thinking the new mk7 here in the US will come with electrical bugs and other errors since is not going to be entirely the same production as in Europe.
What you guys think is a good approach to this situation?
I'm considering the 2013 golf mk6 tdi with DSG auto
Is the reliability for the golf with the DSG auto a good choice for commute?

Thanks all for your opinions/advice.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
If you want a mk7 wait until 2015 because usually early gens have bugs in them. With that being said Europe already has the mk7, so by the time it comes to the US in 2014 I would imagine most kinks should be fixed.

hilld

Ready to race!
If you want a mk7 wait until 2015 because usually early gens have bugs in them. With that being said Europe already has the mk7, so by the time it comes to the US in 2014 I would imagine most kinks should be fixed.

The US cars will be built in Mexico at a new factory, expect "kinks" for a while.

Get the German built MK6.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Expect to pay a big premium for the mk7. You can get great deals on the current car. If you're looking to "save money" get a golf with the 2.5 it will be cheaper to run than a tdi and faster

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Expect to pay a big premium for the mk7. You can get great deals on the current car. If you're looking to "save money" get a golf with the 2.5 it will be cheaper to run than a tdi and faster

And if he's keeping it for a long time.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
And if he's keeping it for a long time.

2.5 Has no timing belt that costs $1200 to change every 120k miles. It also doesn't have a grenading fuel pump... it also doesn't have a DPF that needs changing above 100k.

2.5 will be cheaper hands down.

TDI is also 5K more than a comparable 2.5. That's 5+ years to even break even on the fuel savings the TDI may deliver on.

That said the TDI does have a lot more standard equipment, better wheels/suspension.

Last edited:

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
2.5 Has no timing belt that costs $1200 to change every 120k miles. It also doesn't have a grenading fuel pump... it also doesn't have a DPF that needs changing above 100k.

timing belt cost that much? thats fucking insane.
fuel pump is a scary thing...
can just get a DPF delete though...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
timing belt cost that much? thats fucking insane.
fuel pump is a scary thing...
can just get a DPF delete though...

You can't pass smog with that. 2008+ diesels require smog inspections after the first 4 years of ownership

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
You can't pass smog with that. 2008+ diesels require smog inspections after the first 4 years of ownership

i know. thats why my smog will cost more :D

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
2.5 Has no timing belt that costs $1200 to change every 120k miles.
Dunno about you, but a timing belt kit costs ~$400...
It also doesn't have a grenading fuel pump...
>3%... I wouldn't exactly call less than 3% of CR TDIs a guaranteed issue...
it also doesn't have a DPF that needs changing above 100k.
No guarantee on this either. DPF is checked at 120K; you do not know how long it will last, nor does anyone else... Some have clogged early, usually due to poor driving dynamics or faults; and some are already at 150K+ without issues...
Again, not a "guaranteed" replacement cost in any way.

[
Yes. In every way... 2.5 does not have any option at all for 17s, DSG, Nav, Xenons, KESSY, etc etc etc.

TDI is also 5K more than a comparable 2.5. That's 5+ years to even break even on the fuel savings the TDI may deliver on.
If you get the loaded 2.5L with Conv/Sun you are only 2 grand less than a base level TDI with DSG; and the TDI already has more equipment on it other than the sunroof. 2 Grand difference is made up in less than 3 years.

;)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Dunno about you, but a timing belt kit costs ~$400...

>3%... I wouldn't exactly call less than 3% of CR TDIs a guaranteed issue...

No guarantee on this either. DPF is checked at 120K; you do not know how long it will last, nor does anyone else... Some have clogged early, usually due to poor driving dynamics or faults; and some are already at 150K+ without issues...
Again, not a "guaranteed" replacement cost in any way.

[
Yes. In every way... 2.5 does not have any option at all for 17s, DSG, Nav, Xenons, KESSY, etc etc etc.

If you get the loaded 2.5L with Conv/Sun you are only 2 grand less than a base level TDI with DSG; and the TDI already has more equipment on it other than the sunroof. 2 Grand difference is made up in less than 3 years.
You and I will always disagree on this... and I'd love to see anyone with a CR TDI that pays $400 to change the timing belt. That is NOT an easy job esp one that you'd do at home.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/TDI_Common_Rail_Diesel_Timing_Set_p/tbk-cr.htm This is $335+ shipping in parts alone labor is the killer here.

While the HPFP is not a guaranteed issue it is def an issue and one that costs 8-10k in "dealer retail" costs to fix. Sure if I was to keep the car I'd get that retrofit kit for $200 and prevent it from ruining the rest of my fuel system and only spend 1k on fixing the HPFP itself but its a big issue.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
http://www.vw.com/portal/en/configurator#10203/20301/94

2 door golf with convenience starts at 19,235
2 door golf TDI base starts at 24,495

That's actually over 5k.

But like I mentioned earlier the TDI will have
6 speed manual vs 5
lower and stiffer suspension
touch screen radio
MF Steering wheel
fog lights

That's it as far as the changes go. All of those (minus suspension) can be fairly easily fitted into a Golf for less than 1k

Saabstory

You and I will always disagree on this... and I'd love to see anyone with a CR TDI that pays $400 to change the timing belt. That is NOT an easy job esp one that you'd do at home.
Yes, we will. And every time you post in a thread like this about how the sky is falling; I will respond with the factual information showing it isn't... :thumbsup:

FYI there's a guy on TDIClub about to do his own timing belt at home. It is an involved job, yes; but it really isn't all that difficult for even mildly mechanical people.

Are TDIs for everyone? Obviously not. But they also aren't the devil.
While the HPFP is not a guaranteed issue it is def an issue and one that costs 8-10k in "dealer retail" costs to fix. Sure if I was to keep the car I'd get that retrofit kit for $200 and prevent it from ruining the rest of my fuel system and only spend 1k on fixing the HPFP itself but its a big issue.

No it's not. It is just as "big" an issue as the batteries in a Hybrid... you know; the 10K battery replacement jobs that everyone quotes, and have been done in like 2 cars so far? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
No it's not. It is just as "big" an issue as the batteries in a Hybrid... you know; the 10K battery replacement jobs that everyone quotes, and have been done in like 2 cars so far? :rolleyes:

Time will tell I suppose these cars are still really really new and the vast majority failed within warranty with 0 issues from the dealers. Even when they were dumb enough to fill the car up with gas.

I do wish this CR motor was available without all that emissions equipment :( 3 cats and DPF and fancy EGR just add so much weight and complexity. :(

I love my TDI for the commuter factor, its always in peak power never needs to shift out of 6th, 450+ mile fuel ups. But its a fairly hefty price to pay. :)

Saabstory

http://www.vw.com/portal/en/configurator#10203/20301/94

2 door golf with convenience starts at 19,235
2 door golf TDI base starts at 24,495

That's actually over 5k.

But like I mentioned earlier the TDI will have
6 speed manual vs 5
lower and stiffer suspension
touch screen radio
MF Steering wheel
fog lights

That's it as far as the changes go. All of those (minus suspension) can be fairly easily fitted into a Golf for less than 1k
you forgot several others:

15 inch wheels vs 17 inch wheels. HUGE difference there.
Ipod/MDI adapter (Convenience does not have it)
Satellite Radio
HD Radio
Highline MFD

However, He specifically wanted a DSG; so I went with Auto/DSG numbers.

4 Door Conv/Sun: $22,995
4 Door TDI Base: $26,300 (with DSG)

That's even giving the 2.5L a sunroof that the base TDI does not have; but the TDI is still better equipped, and only $3k more.