GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 07-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
vinyvolingy
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG
Cool 2013 MK6 vs. 2009 Civic Si (FA5)

This happened about a month ago. Since I got my car back in April I wanted to go to Austin and race my friends 2009 Civic Si.

The Mods he has at the time I raced him was
-Vibrant Catback exhaust
-Skunk 2 Cold Air Intake
-ECU base map tune by Vitviper tuning

I have a bone stock 2013 GTI

The race itself was from a roll obviously. We did a role from 40, 45, 50, and 55.
And all of the rolls he got me by about 1/2 car length.

The races were so close he could of sworn before we even raced that I would pull on him I guess he was wrong. That and he never missed a gear. His car has amazing top end and the mods he has on that car right now is night and day difference from stock. The k20 is not a engine platform to mess with lol. Simple bolts on's and a tune for that engine will set it off nicely.

Since the race he has gotten a Buddy Club headers and some motor mounts. I'm not trying to race him again I can already tell what the outcome is going to be.

Once I go Stage 1 with a Air Intake I think it will be an interesting race to say the least. We will see what happens next, until next time :P
vinyvolingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
brinkmen
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '15 Golf R DSG, '16 GTI S 6MT PP LP
Okay first a catback does NOTHING except make noise so that's not making his car faster unless he had a upgraded DP also. Even that won't do much on a NA car. Second, a CAI might give him 6-8 hp if he's lucky. Third, his tune might give him another 10. So at the most he could be pushing in the neighbourhood of 218hp/150tq at the crank. Once you go stage 1 and intake, you should pull on him by AT LEAST a car length. Especially with the DSG. Also try racing him from a standstill and by the time he gets into VTEC, you'll be long gone even if he gets those extra mods you mentioned. Good luck and post vids!

Last edited by brinkmen; 07-02-2013 at 02:28 AM.
brinkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #3
trd420
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2015 S3 Prestige+Performance Pack
Yea go stage 1 and pull.
trd420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
DSGVW
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI DSG
screw it, just go stage 4
DSGVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
D Griff
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: POORVETTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmen View Post
Okay first a catback does NOTHING except make noise so that's not making his car faster unless he had a upgraded DP also. Even that won't do much on a NA car. Second, a CAI might give him 6-8 hp if he's lucky. Third, his tune might give him another 10. So at the most he could be pushing in the neighbourhood of 218hp/150tq at the crank. Once you go stage 1 and intake, you should pull on him by AT LEAST a car length. Especially with the DSG. Also try racing him from a standstill and by the time he gets into VTEC, you'll be long gone even if he gets those extra mods you mentioned. Good luck and post vids!
I agree on most accounts, but from a dig, I dunno. GTIs are pretty bad in those circumstances, Hondas low torue high powah kinda help the FWD launch situation.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
vinyvolingy
Autocross Newbie

Quote:

Exhaust and a Cold air intake do a lot to the k series engine... Those engines are restricted out of factory, once you bolt on anything to unrestrict the airflow it is another machine. He has a 3 inch catback he has more low end torque with that on. But thanks haha
Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
vinyvolingy
Autocross Newbie

Also the skunk 2 cold air intake is pretty good intake for that engine, night and day difference when he first put it on its some impressive stuff
Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
Yeah a CAI, exhaust and tune are a pretty formidable combo on NA. Doesn't matter on turbocharged cars because the turbine is the true flow-limiting feature however that leads to other interactions such as boost. I'd give him a good 20hp with a real conservative tune.

Stage 1 will pull on him, even with headers. Full bolt-on NA k20's can't even keep up with a Stage 2 TSI.
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
ViR
Touring Car Champion

Drives: GTI
And you are probably running stock all season tires? They are horrible..
ViR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
Quote:
there's no dp on an na car. intakes and catbacks do a lot more for them than on turbo cars. maybe you're confusing it with something else.

also civics are light weight for what they are and move out more with less power.
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
excelevant
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '14 5.0 Track Pack
I've raced a few unknown but surely modded 8th gens at Stage 2, it was a laugh

GET TOONED
excelevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #12
Tkulhanc134
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: MK7 GTI DSG
tune, dogbone insert, intake
Old 07-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
corydd
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '10 CW GTI DSG Autobahn
Once you go Stage 1, it won't even be close.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTX2867 GTi Autobahn 6mt
DC Sports race headers

I installed one on my brother RSX Type S and it was like getting stage 1 tune on the gti