GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

high pitch noise

hoepucher

Ready to race!
Hey Everyone...this high pitched noise is getting me concerned:

Is this normal? The oil level is fine, no CEL, and no noticeable loss in power. I do notice that I cannot rev past 4k when in P though.

Help? Thanks.

generic83

lol wheel spin
Does it get higher in pitch with the revs? does it stay on after the car is shut off? Does it go away after the car warms up?

izz0GTi

Had the same noise with no obvious problems to it,
noticed the noise even before my break-in period...
went to service my car at 1000miles and asked the dealer abt the noise..
they didnt have a clue but i did some research beforehand on VWvortex etc, ppl were saying it was the water pump, so i told them it might be the water pump...
even after inspection they werent sure what it was, but was coming from the right side of the engine bay...
they agreed to replace it, but it had to be ordered from germany...
since performance-wise it was ok and it was going to take em 1 weeks to get the parts in.. i drove home with my car...
funny thing is.......... after a few days, the noise was gone... everything was and is still fine.... some say it might of been an air pocket or watver...
hope all goes well....

hoepucher

Ready to race!
Does it get higher in pitch with the revs? does it stay on after the car is shut off? Does it go away after the car warms up?

The sound does not get higher in pitch with revs, turns off when car is off and the noise actually comes on when the car warms up..no sound when its still cold.

Its at the dealer right now and they believe its a valve. I'm waiting for a call back later today. Will update soon. Thanks everyone.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
That's weird and doesn't seem normal

The injectors make a lot of noise, but that high pitched squeal is something else

generic83

lol wheel spin
Thats a strange one. I believe our water pumps stay on for a shortwhile after the car is turned off. Maybe its something with the flapper motor.

jayczer0one

Ready to race!
update for the OP

Yep, its the water pump alright. He's waiting for the part and then install, by the dealer. OP currently is driving a jetta as loaner compliments of the dealer! Nice!

hoepucher

Ready to race!

Got an update today finally and they said it is in fact the water pump. Took them 2 days to figure that one out even though I told them it may be the water pump.

I wasn't so sure because mines didn't sound like an 'animal' as stated in the thread Arin started. (But thank you Arin for starting that thread, if I had not known about the water pump issue, I would have just left it alone :eek:)

My build date is 11/09 in case anyone is wondering and there is 950 miles on the odo.

Thanks again everyone! Will update again as soon as its fixed...:thumbsup: