GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: TSI Valve Cleaning in detail (Get Rid of That Carbon!)

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, it misfires on all cylinders randomly... I think it is normal. I logged my friends stock gti and another stock cc and they all do this misfire thing... Also spoke with a friend who chips cars with revo tunes and he stated that they all misfire a little and that as long as the cel doesn't come on, then I'm fine...

Nice, you are good to go then, great repair work sir!

mfractal

Ready to race!
Via the serpintine belt. Just turn it by hand and wait to see which valves close. You don't need to control which one is open and which is closed, you just need to get them all closed at some point.
thanks man. one more.. is it necessary to remove the injectors? or, in other words, do I need to purchase the injectors service kit?

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
thanks man. one more.. is it necessary to remove the injectors? or, in other words, do I need to purchase the injectors service kit?

The injectors may pop out with the intake manifold when you remove it, so it's a good idea to have new seal kits ready in case they do. But it isn't completely necessary, you could just put them back in and hope the seals hold, seems a lot of guys are doing that.

I'd have the seal kits ready to be safe, you don't want to put it all back together only to have to take it all apart again for a seal..

Hedgehodge

Passed Driver's Ed
Guess I'll be tackling this, someone said to use GM cleaner though, seems it may be more intended than CLR lol. Anyone attach a wire brush to a drill to do this? I'm mainly worried about them being slightly open and it seeping in.

Is it 100% open or 100% closed, no inbetweens? like if i turn it a tad to little can it be open 5-10% ?

73k and been misfiring since 40k and ever since that ECU "upgrade" it started misfiring and shaking like crazy a few thousand after...ironic huh?

:23:

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Guess I'll be tackling this, someone said to use GM cleaner though, seems it may be more intended than CLR lol. Anyone attach a wire brush to a drill to do this? I'm mainly worried about them being slightly open and it seeping in.

Is it 100% open or 100% closed, no inbetweens? like if i turn it a tad to little can it be open 5-10% ?

73k and been misfiring since 40k and ever since that ECU "upgrade" it started misfiring and shaking like crazy a few thousand after...ironic huh?

:23:

You'll know when they're all the way closed, two should be at the same time as mentioned. Don't want them open and having anything seep down to the pistons, I imagine a lot of the chemicals used to do this wouldn't be great for the piston rings, not sure if that's actually true though

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
What is the advantage of using both the carb cleaner and CLR?

I would ASSume that using just the CLR would suffice. Im trying to piece together my shopping list and all of the DIY threads have different items so far as chemicals are concerned.

twovalvekid

Resurrecting. Just did this myself. Car runs so much better. No misses. Now i have the dreaded P2015 code.

Sleeping Forest1

Ready to race!
Resurrecting. Just did this myself. Car runs so much better. No misses. Now i have the dreaded P2015 code.
If I recall from doing mine that was from the actuator on the manifold. I.E. it's broke when you took it off???. I could be wrong. I sure as hell don't remember the codes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

twovalvekid

If I recall from doing mine that was from the actuator on the manifold. I.E. it's broke when you took it off???. I could be wrong. I sure as hell don't remember the codes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Was the runner code. Car is currently at the local dealer getting manifold swapped.

But the carbon cleaning did an amazing number on improving MPGs. Easily a 10% increase and all of the idle issues are basically gone.

Cbell3186

Ready to race!
Partial cross post, I mentioned valve cleaning in another thread, but it was geared more towards DSG service.

Random thought, while I'm in there, what do you guys think on a little sanding the ports to smooth them out a bit? Possibly (slim possibility) to reduce the surface area in the ports to delay further deposits for the future? Huge waste of time, or hit it for an hour or so and see how far I get? Not going for the whole port and polish aspect of things obviously....

lukesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice job and write up! I dont mind working on anything in our cars but the engine just scares me.