GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

finally went APR 2+... check engine light

ryangolfrpower

Ready to race!
Issue resolved :-D thanks Ian at APR

Hey,

Just had my downpipe installed by APR at waterfest...and flashed to 2+...(everything is going great.)
I pick up the car and start it and notice its super loud... I drive away and I keep thinking that this is way to loud with stock exhaust so I turn around and go back and have them check it... Turns out they left the 02 sensor hanging which left a massive exhaust leak.... So they plugged it... and no more noise...

now...

As Im driving home everything is great... and then it happens... check engine light comes after about 25 minutes of non-aggressive driving.... So Pissed.

*Am I able to clear this on my own using the APR software? I looked through the booklet they gave and thought I could do it... I tried following the directions that say to put the car's ignition off, hold "res" and wait for the check engine light to Blink, pause, blink, pause... Its not doing that... I may just not be doing the process right...
*If I can cancel the light, should I do that without having it checked... I'm concerned that maybe my 02 sensor was dragging along the ground and I damaged it.

Can someone help me with this? I tried calling APR, englishtown raceway park, and waterfest and no one is answering the phone....

Thanks.

Last edited:

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Hey,

Just had my downpipe installed by APR at waterfest...and flashed to 2+...(everything is going great.)
I pick up the car and start it and notice its super loud... I drive away and I keep thinking that this is way to loud with stock exhaust so I turn around and go back and have them check it... Turns out they left the 02 sensor hanging which left a massive exhaust leak.... So they plugged it... and no more noise...

now...

As Im driving home everything is great... and then it happens... check engine light comes after about 25 minutes of non-aggressive driving.... So Pissed.

*Am I able to clear this on my own using the APR software? I looked through the booklet they gave and thought I could do it... I tried following the directions that say to put the car's ignition off, hold "res" and wait for the check engine light to Blink, pause, blink, pause... Its not doing that... I may just not be doing the process right...
*If I can cancel the light, should I do that without having it checked... I'm concerned that maybe my 02 sensor was dragging along the ground and I damaged it.

Can someone help me with this? I tried calling APR, englishtown raceway park, and waterfest and no one is answering the phone....

Thanks.

Code clearing is not enabled in the Golf R tune like it is for other ECUs, either is the Anti-Theft or Trial modes. Here is the APR Golf R page that has the features: http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tfsi_trans_r.html

If you don't have VCDS to get/clear the code you can do a few things:

1. Go back to the shop that did the work and ask them WTF.
2. Go to Kragen/O'Reily's/Autozone and borrow their scanner to get the code.

It could be that your o2 sensor was damaged, if so the shop should replace it.

It could also be that they flashed your car with a "non-testpipe" file. Yes, they exist... even for stage 2.. Those files will expect the catalyst to function and they don't ignore the readings from the rear o2 sensor.

I think it may be the testpipe file because 20-30 miles is usually when the code and CEL will pop up if you remove the cat on a normal tune that expects it to be working. However, only your tuner or APR will be able to tell you that.

Good luck.

ryangolfrpower

Ready to race!
Apr did it at waterfest. I discussed with them about a testpipe file and they recommended that specific file because of emissions testing in NJ. I thought that file was to avoid this issue.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
Apr did it at waterfest. I discussed with them about a testpipe file and they recommended that specific file because of emissions testing in NJ. I thought that file was to avoid this issue.

Usually, from my understanding they apply the non-testpipe file to "stock" mode only and the other tunes are testpipe.

That way you can swap the downpipe back for the OEM and set stock mode to go pass emissions testing w/o needing a reflash.

ryangolfrpower

Ready to race!
UGH, this is annoying. I hope this isnt a big deal. Im hoping this is the reason that your saying. I dont have a vagcom or any tool to check it, and its sunday to everything is like closed... :/

ryangolfrpower

Ready to race!
So brought it to the Vw dealer today and they scanned it... Apparently APR put the wrong map on my car and did not flash it to 93 octane stage 2+.... But rather with stage 1+ .... How do you make this mistake especially if you are the company selling the product? I am extremely disappointed and now my dealer wants to charge me to fix the issue as well. Would having a stage 1+ flash with an apr downpipe throw a cel? The dealer said this is exactly why the cel light is on and after they flashed to 2+, the cell is now gone. I'm going to call APR this morning to see if they will comp that cost. I know there a major company with a good customer service reputation and I'm hoping they'll take care of it

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
So brought it to the Vw dealer today and they scanned it... Apparently APR put the wrong map on my car and did not flash it to 93 octane stage 2+.... But rather with stage 1+ .... How do you make this mistake especially if you are the company selling the product? I am extremely disappointed and now my dealer wants to charge me to fix the issue as well. Would having a stage 1+ flash with an apr downpipe throw a cel? The dealer said this is exactly why the cel light is on and after they flashed to 2+, the cell is now gone. I'm going to call APR this morning to see if they will comp that cost. I know there a major company with a good customer service reputation and I'm hoping they'll take care of it

Yes. Stage 1/1+ expects a stock catalyst system and keeps the rear o2 sensor checking active. Essentially the same as a non-testpipe tune I mentioned in post #2.

Good luck getting APR to cover that, hopefully it works out.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Actually glad I didn't have them touch my car this weekend...

Not the first time I've heard of them throwing the wrong tune on a car at Waterfest.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Actually glad I didn't have them touch my car this weekend...

Not the first time I've heard of them throwing the wrong tune on a car at Waterfest.

Yeah, labor free seems like a good deal and luckily I was too impatient to to wait for WF to get a flash or install.

Think of this way, OP, Redline Speedworx charges $500 for a TBE install. You still come out waaaaaaaay ahead even with the small headache and labor for re-flash.

ryangolfrpower

Ready to race!
Thank you APR for taking care of the payment to the dealer for allowing them to flash the correct software. Shout out to Ian from APR. So far no more CEL... We shall see....