GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

wetMoney's Build

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
So I am a victim. Yes, a victim of the TSI (shity) water pump/thermostat failure. :yikes:
First off,this is not a factor from installing my FMIC this past weekend.

This all began Monday when I noticed a coolant smell but didnt think it was coming from my car. Thought maybe the car infront of me? Oh well, I just kept driving no problems at that point. Just a coolant smell.
Tuesday all is fine, did not notice any coolant smell in the cabin on my commute to work. 5:00 leave work, again no signs of coolant or odor. I stop worrying about it. Just me being crazy, car is fine.....
I leave my g/fs place around 11:00 PM. Start my car and car idles, letting it warm up.. then suddenly coolant light is flashing and beeping. At that moment I IMMEDIATELY turn the car off and pop the hood. Coolant bottle was empty! I check underneath the car and Lo and Behold there 's a nice puddle of coolant. I've seen the TSI failing water pump thread but never really looked into it. This was a great help and very comforting piecing it all together to be the Water pump. Thread located here: Heads Up: Failing TSI Water Pumps.

I was able to get my car to the dealer and have them verify that it was infact the Thermostat/ water pump housing that cracked. The water pump itself was fine. Stupid plastic!!!! But I was happy that hey had the part instock. I was in and out. Car back on the road in less than 10 hours. :w00t:

This again was unfortunate. My car only has 6600 miles! But this design of the Thermostat/ Water pump is a crappy one. A cheap-o way of doing things VW!

Pic of old Therm/WP:

Hard to see in the pic, but his is the hairline crack in the housing.

Part Number. I believe this is the "new version"

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Yikes. New car and this happens... crazy. VW needs to do something. They're selling a lot of cars these days and issues like this will kill their reputation...

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
Happy this happened the way it did and I wasnt stranded on the Hwy.
Everything was handled really smooth. Just hope this doesnt happen again!

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
Front end cleaned up:
Black Vinyl wrapped grille. (Red Stripe Delete) -thanks Sean aka "Tourenwagen" for supplying the vinyl. :thumbup:

Front plate removed for better flow and cleaner look.

Muellebs

Ready to race!
Hmmm...makes me a little concerned about my '13 as yours is the first '13 I've heard of this happening to.

Mine failed and was replaced under warranty three weeks ago.

clownish

just clowning around
Bought the car this past April.

But what was the build date? For example, I bought mine in May, 2013, but the vehicle was built in May, 2012. You can find the date built on the panel that lists OEM tire pressure on the driver's side sill. The reason I was wondering is because perhaps the pump wasn't the updated revision? Kinda selfishly wondering what the part # was so i can check mine.

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
But what was the build date? For example, I bought mine in May, 2013, but the vehicle was built in May, 2012. You can find the date built on the panel that lists OEM tire pressure on the driver's side sill. The reason I was wondering is because perhaps the pump wasn't the updated revision? Kinda selfishly wondering what the part # was so i can check mine.

Just checked.. 1/2013. I don't think it matters tho. Motor was possibly built separate from actual body. So when installed on the assembly line it was just mated to my shell. :iono:

Jeff43

Ready to race!
Cars coming along great buddy!:thumbsup: