GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > In Car Entertainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics / Etc..)

Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Intenz888
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 MK6 CSG 2 Dr
Best aftermarket head unit??

I replaced my rcd 510 w an aftermarket alpine ics-x7hd. Unfortunately the radio is slow, functionality is weird and its disappointing for 599.00.

What's unit are you running? Any suggestions.

Looking for something responsive, quick, that plays pandora clear, and has iphone 4 or 5 accessibility, Bluetooth, and hd radio. I don't care for DVD or video playback. My deck is a already a distraction without the video piece. It also doesn't have to be double din. Oh yes and really good radio tuner.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
chinolatte
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2010 GTI
I have a JVC KW-NT510HDT and I'm more than happy with it. Fast, responsive, has all the options I want and then some.
chinolatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Halvie
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Mr. Negativity
This would fit a golf too, right?

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/vi...olkswagenjetta
Halvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
warchieft2k
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI DSG
Send a message via AIM to warchieft2k
thats a big questions... i would like to know one that allow the use of all streering controls...

2010 MKVI GTI
Click here for my mods
warchieft2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
engineered2win
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MkVI TDI, S4 RX-7
I would highly suggest playing around with one in the real world if that's possible. You can only learn so much with it by playing with it on the display at Best Buy. Stuff like piss poor bluetooth call quality and horribly awful GPS routing won't be noticed until you plunked down your cash and have it installed. I had a Pioneer Z130bt for about a year before I ripped it out and put in a RNS510, which I should have done in the first place.

Unless you have a Pandora subscription, you will be limited to the same low bitrate audio regardless of your device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie View Post
$250 for a dash kit to fit a non standard radio is an awful lot of money. You can get a double din kit from Scosche for <$20.

Last edited by engineered2win; 08-07-2013 at 12:20 PM.
engineered2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
edub
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 MKVI Wolfsburg Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchieft2k View Post
thats a big questions... i would like to know one that allow the use of all streering controls...
same here..I don't want to lose steering wheel controls. Especially for phone.
edub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
edub
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineered2win View Post
I would highly suggest playing around with one in the real world if that's possible. You can only learn so much with it by playing with it on the display at Best Buy. Stuff like piss poor bluetooth call quality and horribly awful GPS routing won't be noticed until you plunked down your cash and have it installed. I had a Pioneer Z130bt for about a year before I ripped it out and put in a RNS510, which I should have done in the first place.

Unless you have a Pandora subscription, you will be limited to the same low bitrate audio regardless of your device.

$250 for a dash kit to fit a non standard radio is an awful lot of money. You can get a double din kit from Scosche for <$20.
RNS510 would be fully compatible with a MK6 GTI, correct?
Old 08-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
squall
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2015 DGM STi
i have the pioneer avh 5500bhs and i love it. pandora works great on it, the iphone connectivity is excellent and you can run your apps on it as well. not to mention great sound quality, i get compliments on my setup all the time.
squall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
edub
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall View Post
i have the pioneer avh 5500bhs and i love it. pandora works great on it, the iphone connectivity is excellent and you can run your apps on it as well. not to mention great sound quality, i get compliments on my setup all the time.
Did it affect the stock hands free setup?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
pmturner1
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 Golf TDI
I just got the Pioneer AVH-8400 set up with App Radio and the VGA adapter. I put in the head unit last year and just got the app radio done. App radio is cool. A little bit complicated but in general I like it because I am a techie. I think in a couple generations it will be seamless.

The connectivity for app radio is a hassle since you have to use an awkward series of cables and adapters. The car media player is sluggish. The Motion X app is awesome, really nice navigator. Bluetooth audio finally works properly with the song information. Only issue is that you cannot use Sirius and the Motion X - since the app radio apps all require Bluetooth audio be active.

One note - watch out how much time you spend configuring the system. I have a JL Audio HD900 with a JL Audio stealthbox sub and after four hours of wiring and testing I drained the batter and had to call for a jump start. Pretty embarrassing. The AAA guy thought I was a dope as did my wife. I guess the next step is a separate battery for the sound system.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Johnny Two Tone
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 2.5L Sportline
Just to be clear ALL aftermarket decks eliminate the car's OEM bluetooth. You can get adapter modules that allow you to keep everything else - steering wheel controls, change the voice button into a mute button (with some coding), etc - but there isn't a single deck that keeps the bluetooth. You'll still have bluetooth through the aftermarket deck itself, but it won't be linked through the car's original bluetooth module (basically, it means that the bluetooth quality is entirely dependent on the new deck's quality, and you are forced to place the deck's bluetooth mic somewhere).
Johnny Two Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
Ackerman
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: GOLF5
I am using the one . ithink it is great. and it satisfy what you want . maybe you will be interested in it : car head unit
Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
quality_sound

Drives: '13 4-door Golf TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvie View Post
Technically, no. You have to modify the dash to make it fit the Golf and that mod will keep you from putting the OEM HU back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchieft2k View Post
Every aftermarket HU I can think of allows HU controls. You just need the control module.
quality_sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
quality_sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Two Tone View Post
Just to be clear ALL aftermarket decks eliminate the car's OEM bluetooth. You can get adapter modules that allow you to keep everything else - steering wheel controls, change the voice button into a mute button (with some coding), etc - but there isn't a single deck that keeps the bluetooth. You'll still have bluetooth through the aftermarket deck itself, but it won't be linked through the car's original bluetooth module (basically, it means that the bluetooth quality is entirely dependent on the new deck's quality, and you are forced to place the deck's bluetooth mic somewhere).
Just disconnecting the OEM BT module does it automatically for every Alpine and Pioneer unit I've tried in my car. No coding or anything.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
Johnny Two Tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Just disconnecting the OEM BT module does it automatically for every Alpine and Pioneer unit I've tried in my car. No coding or anything.
I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that if you install, say, a Pioneer deck (that has built in blue-tooth) that if you disconnect the OEM blue-tooth module that the new deck will become linked to car's original mic/button hardware? Or are you speaking strictly of the MFD pages?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
quality_sound

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you saying that if you install, say, a Pioneer deck (that has built in blue-tooth) that if you disconnect the OEM blue-tooth module that the new deck will become linked to car's original mic/button hardware? Or are you speaking strictly of the MFD pages?
No, I'm saying that if you connect the steering wheel controls the voice command button on the steering wheel will become a pause/mute button. I WISH it would use the OEM BT. It's FAR better than any aftermarket BT I've used.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
Johnny Two Tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
No, I'm saying that if you connect the steering wheel controls the voice command button on the steering wheel will become a pause/mute button. I WISH it would use the OEM BT. It's FAR better than any aftermarket BT I've used.
Oh, I see what you're saying. It would be a lot more convenient for that button to change function on its own but I remember that until I changed the button to a mute button every time I accidentally hit the button it would just stop the audio and make that "speak now" voice, at which time I needed to press the button again to make the audio come back on. But, with that said, I didn't remove the blue-tooth module before changing the function of the button, so what you're saying no doubt works.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
quality_sound

Quote:
Oh, I see what you're saying. It would be a lot more convenient for that button to change function on its own but I remember that until I changed the button to a mute button every time I accidentally hit the button it would just stop the audio and make that "speak now" voice, at which time I needed to press the button again to make the audio come back on. But, with that said, I didn't remove the blue-tooth module before changing the function of the button, so what you're saying no doubt works.
Exactly. It ONLY makes the change if you disconnect the OEM BT module under the seat. You don't even have to remove it. Just pull it out (it's only held in place with velcro) and disconnect it. Then you can put it back in or pull it. The whole process takes about 30 seconds from start to finish.