GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'10 GTI vs '09 Camry

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Camry:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q1/the_quickest_cars_of_2009_20_000_to_25_000-feature

0-to-60-mph time: 5.8 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.3 sec @ 99 mph

GTI:

0-60 mph time: 6.3 seconds
Quarter mile time: 14.9 seconds @ 96 MPH

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezf...lication/5ec1d939a27e6826f87e45f75557abdc.pdf

Last edited:

msm00b

Ready to race!
Final verdicts:

Camry:

CarAndDriver said:
The Verdict: Fast but not exactly fun.

GTI:

CarAndDriver said:
The Verdict: The sensible choice, but sensible rarely wins.

Little comparison imo. The V6 camry will undoubtedly get worse gas mileage too ... heavier and with a 6 cylinder.

You gotta remember, though, that a simple (and relatively cheap) ECU flash will make the GTI much faster than the Camry V6 ... and the camry doesn't have the ability to be so inexpensively improved.

Last edited:

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Little comparison imo. The V6 camry will undoubtedly get worse gas mileage too ... heavier and with a 6 cylinder.

You gotta remember, though, that a simply (and relatively cheap) ECU flash will make the GTI much faster than the Camry V6 ... and the camry doesn't have the ability to be so inexpensively improved.

The Camry can be modded too, though.

And this forum seems to be all about actual straight line encounters.

In that regard, the V6 Camry is a faster car than the GTI - whether it's "fun" or not.

The V6 Camry is EPA rated @ 20 city/29 Highway - BUT it doesn't require premium fuel.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.html

So the fuel cost per mile is nearly identical to the GTI's.

msm00b

Ready to race!
The Camry can be modded too, though.

Any car "can be modded".

The question is can any car be modded as cheaply/easily ... and the answer in this case is no. 500 bucks buys you 50hp and 100lbs torque, which in a car as light as a GTI makes a big difference (compared to the heavier camry). If you really go hog wild you can take ~4k and make the GTI a veritable monster (stage 3 > 350hp). Doubtful you could do that with a camry.

Last edited:

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
2010 GTI:

0-60 mph time: 6.3 seconds
Quarter mile time: 14.9 seconds @ 96 MPH

2010 GT-R:

0-60 mph time: 3.3 seconds
Quarter mile time: 11.6 at 120.9 mph

Discuss

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
lulz

I think maybe I can beat him. You see its only a matter of a 3 second difference. Sitting here at my desk takes longer than 3 seconds, so technically I take off roughly 3 seconds on my 0-60 time.

Plus I have 3 extra doors

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
maybe somebody following my other posts have noticed this...if not I'll type it in big bold letters.

IF YOU BOUGHT A GTI FOR 0-60 TIMES, YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG CAR.

Man, who thinks this car is just an engine with wheels that can get from 0-60 in 6.8secs? There are other aspects to this car you know?

If people are scared of "other drivers" on the freaking interstate passing them then buy a stage 3 kit.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Anybody can go fast in a straight line.

That statement has no foundation in fact, though.

The Camry runs 0-60 MPH in 5.8 seconds (on narrow, non-performance rubber) and does the quarter mile in 14.3 @ 99 MPH. It's just a plain vanilla family sedan that also happens to be EPA rated @ 20 city/29 highway on 87 octane fuel.

I really like my GTI because of the total package and the price.

But it's not truly a "fast car" by 2010 standards. By today's standards it's merely comparable to many V6 powered Asian family sedans.

The GTI is a fast car by 1985 standards, but that was 25 years ago.

Last edited:

jokerific

Ready to race!
Yes, the GTI is not for people who live their lives a quarter mile at a time. I don't see how it can be compared to the Camry at all.

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
You mean other cars are faster than the GTI? NO WAI!

But seriously, my Mom has a V6 accord 5 or 6 speed.. i don't remember which. It feels faster than my GTI but it's not even close to enjoyable to drive. 3rd already grinds/pops out of gear if you get to frisky with the clutch, you have to tell your self to push the shifter into the glove compartment when you shift to 5th or you'll miss it, and forget trying to steer under power in 1st-3rd.

And that's not even touching on aesthetics and interior..

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
You mean other cars are faster than the GTI? NO WAI!

But seriously, my Mom has a V6 accord 5 or 6 speed.. i don't remember which. It feels faster than my GTI but it's not even close to enjoyable to drive. 3rd already grinds/pops out of gear if you get to frisky with the clutch, you have to tell your self to push the shifter into the glove compartment when you shift to 5th or you'll miss it, and forget trying to steer under power in 1st-3rd.

And that's not even touching on aesthetics and interior..

You miss the point entirely.

This forum is packed full of people claiming they routinely "beat" G35s, G37s, 2010 Mustang GTs, etc. IN A STRAIGHT LINE.

Go check the posts on your own.

Yet, in truth, a mere Camry would beat their GTIs - ASSUMING the driver was willing to keep his/her foot to the boards and let it shift on its own (their all 6 speed automatics). MOST drivers are either unwilling or unable to do that, which explains how they're often "beat" by slower cars.

I owned a 2004 Accord V6 sedan (EX, 5 speed automatic) and an '06 V6/6 speed/EX Accord coupe. You're grossly exaggerating the torque steer in those cars. Their brakes sucked and their suspensions felt like worn out Buicks, but that has nothing to do with the context of this forum. The '06 coupe in particular has a nice interior.

The automatic '04 felt about as quick as my GTI and the '06 V6/6 speed was definitely faster - as long as one is willing to rev the engine to redline. That car would run mid 14s at 98 MPH - with skinny all weather Michelins and a completely open differential.

The Mazda speed 3 definitely has a LOT of torque steer, but I consider that junk and really don't care how fast it is.

I've owned some TRULY "fast cars" (e.g. 1999 LS1/6 speed/1LE Z28 with headers, a cat back and various other tweaks) and a 2009 Z51 Corvette. I know what a fast car is. While the GTI is a very NICE car and an extremely well integrated car, it is not truly a "fast car."