GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
reelknead1
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 CSG GTI
Rough Idle

So the lady just called me up and said her GTI was idling quite rough on the way to work. This is the second time that she has complained about this but unfortunately no check engine light is being thrown. Last time this happened I made sure all of the coilpacks were seated properly. She has a little less then 19k miles on the car. I'm hesitant to bring it into the dealer without a code as I'm sure they'll just send me on may way without a fix. What would you guys do? I'm really not in a position currently to purchase new coilpacks and honestly I don't feel as though I should have to.
reelknead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
speedster
FIA GT Champion

Drives: GTI MKVI
Wait, ignore all that. You're under warranty. Just take it in and show them. Don't do anything yourself.

---

Try regaping your spark plugs. You just need a tool to do it that costs around $2. In my experience it's actually regaping / new plugs (~$30) that have the biggest impact not the coils.

And you do know the coils are only like $80 or so right?
Build Thread CW GTI MKVI - APR K04, Downpipe, CAI, DSG Tune - Wagner Intercooler - Magnaflow Exhaust - H&R Swaybars and Coilovers + Swift Custom Springs - GC Camber Plates - Unibrace UB + XB - Nurburgring Wheels
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Cryptic1911
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2008.5 GTI TSI
what plugs are you buying for $30? you can get ngk's at ecs for $8 a set
2008.5 GTI 2.0 TSI 6MT / APR K04 V3.1, APR IC, CTS 3" turboback, Carbonio full intake, R8 coilpacks, PFR7B plugs @.028, GFB DV+, BSH TB pipe, SB Stg2 Endurance clutch, BSH mounts, DG Shortshifter, FFM bracket bushings, Forge big knob, Koni coils, Coolingmist CMGS Meth injection, USRT spacer (DO3 & Snow 100 nozzles), Centric rotors, Stoptech pads, TyrolSport bushings, 19" Miro stp3's
Cryptic1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
reelknead1
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2010 CSG GTI
Yeah its a 2012 and is fully covered under warranty. I have an appointment at 2:30 to drop it off at South Charlotte VW. I'm not going in there with high expectations, my thought process is that they will send me on my way saying they couldn't diagnose the problem... I guess its worth a try though.
reelknead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
SuPeR GTi
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 12' GTI MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic1911 View Post
what plugs are you buying for $30? you can get ngk's at ecs for $8 a set
ecs blows. 8$ a plug but 10 shipping lol.
[AirLift Bags + V2] [Revo Stage 2] [SouthBend Stg2 Daily+SMFW] [EuroJet Catted DP] [Magnaflow CB] [Neuspeed PFlow] [NewSouth Boost Gauge] [APR Boost Tap] [ECS DogBone Mount] [R Led Tails] [Ed's HeadLights]
SuPeR GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI 6MT Cdn Base Model
reelknead1:

Did you ever find out the cause of the rough idle problem you posted about back in 2013?

I have a similar issue with my 2013 GTI. Mine is 100% stock and only 17k miles (27.5k km). During idle, normally when the engine is warm, sometimes the engine 'stumbles' every few seconds, as if a cylinder didn't fire correctly. However, sometimes the engine runs perfectly smooth as well. The dealer did a 'scan' and reported "no codes stored".
Fyodor Dostoevsky is offline   Reply With Quote