GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #57
silvermouse5150
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
I love the MKVII!
But I agree w/ previous posts - the 1st year version has all the bugs and glitches, the 2nd year version has the leftover bugs and glitches, then the 3rd year, etc, etc, etc.

Also, whichever model you purchase, the next version, 99% of the time will be better.
So, if you get the MKVII, you'll regret not waiting for the MKVIII.

I love my car! I couldnt wait for the MKVII, since my son will be driving next month, and thats that.
Just get the one you like, and as long as nobody gets hurt or killed, live with no regrets, go get laid or smoke up, its just a car after all.
silvermouse5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #58
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
I just got my 2014 Mk6 a week ago and am totally happy that it's not the MK7. I for one, in my own opinion, do not dig the new look one bit. Maybe over time it will grow on me, but for now, again... just MHO, the MK6 is the best looking GTI of them all.
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #59
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: '14 GTI Driver's Edition DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailPower View Post
I just got my 2014 Mk6 a week ago and am totally happy that it's not the MK7. I for one, in my own opinion, do not dig the new look one bit. Maybe over time it will grow on me, but for now, again... just MHO, the MK6 is the best looking GTI of them all.
Same, I'm not exactly sold on the design. I've been in an Mk7 GTI, it just doesn't feel like an Mk6. Feels much lighter, more like a Japanese car of this class in some ways. The Mk6 feels so much more solid and well built, not like a tin box.
DeAuto Full LED Kit w. Red Footwells - Aluminum Glove Box Handle - OEM Auto Euro Light Switch - VAG-COM - Clear Side Markers - Amber LED Side Marker Bulbs - APR Carbonio Intake - APR Stage 1 Tuned - OEM R8 Coil Packs - OEM Porsche Coolant/Oil Caps - Black Wiper Fluid Cap - ECS Carbon Fiber Engine Cover - Bright Halogen Fog Light Bulbs - OEM Golf R Euro LED Tails (R20) - DeAuto Amber Front/Rear LED Turn Signals - DeAuto LED Reverse Lights
trev1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #60
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
^^ if i have similar impressions when i check out the new one, it will immediately be struck from the list. maybe it felt this way because mexico? who knows. in any event, thats weak if its the case.
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #61
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermouse5150 View Post
I love the MKVII!
But I agree w/ previous posts - the 1st year version has all the bugs and glitches, the 2nd year version has the leftover bugs and glitches, then the 3rd year, etc, etc, etc.

Also, whichever model you purchase, the next version, 99% of the time will be better.
So, if you get the MKVII, you'll regret not waiting for the MKVIII.

I love my car! I couldnt wait for the MKVII, since my son will be driving next month, and thats that.
Just get the one you like, and as long as nobody gets hurt or killed, live with no regrets, go get laid or smoke up, its just a car after all.
You realize the Mk7 will be in it's 3rd model year when we get it right?
2013/14/15.... we'll get the 15! Europe had the 13 already.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #62
newcarsmell
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 CW GTI DSG
but we get the first year run out if the puebla plant. all the euro mk7's have been in production at their factory for 3 years. for U.S. market the mexican gti's will be in their first year of production.

My mexican made jetta was great mechanially but the interior was put together pretty poorly :/

and smelled of crayons.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #63
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
You realize the Mk7 will be in it's 3rd model year when we get it right?
2013/14/15.... we'll get the 15! Europe had the 13 already.
We as Americans don't appreciate European cars. VW knows this too. We don't get half the good models that Europe gets.
DeAuto Full LED Kit w. Red Footwells - Aluminum Glove Box Handle - OEM Auto Euro Light Switch - VAG-COM - Clear Side Markers - Amber LED Side Marker Bulbs - APR Carbonio Intake - APR Stage 1 Tuned - OEM R8 Coil Packs - OEM Porsche Coolant/Oil Caps - Black Wiper Fluid Cap - ECS Carbon Fiber Engine Cover - Bright Halogen Fog Light Bulbs - OEM Golf R Euro LED Tails (R20) - DeAuto Amber Front/Rear LED Turn Signals - DeAuto LED Reverse Lights
Old 11-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #64
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcarsmell View Post
but we get the first year run out if the puebla plant. all the euro mk7's have been in production at their factory for 3 years. for U.S. market the mexican gti's will be in their first year of production.

My mexican made jetta was great mechanially but the interior was put together pretty poorly :/

and smelled of crayons.
Haha! I would like to park 2 GTI's next to each other, both the exact same color and model, but one from the German plant, the other from the Mexican plant. I Just would like to compare them and carefully look at them. Panel gaps, how tight the panels are, etc...
Old 11-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #65
ElectricEye
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: '15 MK7 GTI Reflex Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev1342 View Post
Same, I'm not exactly sold on the design. I've been in an Mk7 GTI, it just doesn't feel like an Mk6. Feels much lighter, more like a Japanese car of this class in some ways. The Mk6 feels so much more solid and well built, not like a tin box.
That's the opposite impression of every review that I have read on the MK7.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #66
ElectricEye
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: '15 MK7 GTI Reflex Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by trev1342 View Post
Haha! I would like to park 2 GTI's next to each other, both the exact same color and model, but one from the German plant, the other from the Mexican plant. I Just would like to compare them and carefully look at them. Panel gaps, how tight the panels are, etc...
Me too.
I'd love to see if any differences can actually be seen and felt.

Saying ones Jetta, which came from Mexico exclusively and was designed and built for the specifically for the US market - feels and smells lower quality than a GTI is not a fair or logical comparison.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #67
DaveSTR
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2015 STi / 2014 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
When I drove it a couple months ago for over 2 hours that was the last thing I was thinking - its Japanese LOL! Sorry but what I drove was very much a GTi. It was newer yet familiar as an evolutionary design it is vs a revolutionary design.

The Golf is the staple of VW and its design appeals to many people at all levels. Revolutionary would potentially scare off many current owners. Its heritage is visible not invisible.

Certainly not all will like it vs the Mk6 etc. Mark my words after a good test you will be tempted more than turned off by the Mk7 GTi. I hope to drive the R in the spring.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #68
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
yeah cuz youre reading the euro model reviews. car and driver didnt drive the mex GTI
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #69
jsh1120
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI; 2012 KIA Sorento; 04 RX8
Sorry, but trying to take lessons from the Jetta and apply them to the GTI is a faulty comparison. VW decided to deliberately "de-content" the Jetta for the American market to bring it in at a significantly lower price point than was previously the case. And from VW's point of view it was a major success in that regard. Highest sales in history for the Jetta.

There is no evidence that VW plans the same strategy with the GTI. But if they do, the reduced quality of the car will have nothing to do with it being manufactured in Mexico. It will be the result of a decision to reduce the price of the car.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #70
nouse4aname
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2007 Legacy GT Spec B
That's the thing, decision to produce in Mexico is a cost cutting move itself and it surely will be decontented vs the euro version.
nouse4aname is offline   Reply With Quote