GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Bender
Banned
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 20,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by svickstc View Post
Bender did Ken shoot the pics of the new FSI motor done (one of the tech's cars) way worse than yours....eeek
He told me it was barely running but I didn't see it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
adolan21
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
adolan21's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CSG GTI DSG
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 538
Maybe this will stop all the "I use top tier gas doe!" comments people are always saying. Just maybe...
adolan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
corydd
Formula 5000 Driver
 
corydd's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CW GTI DSG Autobahn
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,812
Spoke to my VW specialist about this last week. Basically he said that cars (with these engines) that do mainly city driving have carbon build-up issues as soon as 40-50k miles, but cars that do a lot of highway driving can go as far as 100-120k miles before the carbon cleaning service is necessary. Like Bender said above, it's all about getting the engine hot enough to burn the carbon off.

It'll cost me a bit more in gas, but hey, any excuse to beat the piss out of my car.
__________________
'10 CW DSG GTI Build Thread & Flickr * APR Stg 1 * Depo Tails * Magnaflow CBE * OEM Lip * VW Motorsports Wheels * VWR Springs * Stoptech Pads * DeAutokey LED's * 24mm H&R RSB
corydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
corydd
Formula 5000 Driver
 
corydd's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CW GTI DSG Autobahn
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolan21 View Post
Maybe this will stop all the "I use top tier gas doe!" comments people are always saying. Just maybe...
Top tier/higher octane gas is still a good idea, especially if you're tuned; it just won't do much for this particular issue.
__________________
'10 CW DSG GTI Build Thread & Flickr * APR Stg 1 * Depo Tails * Magnaflow CBE * OEM Lip * VW Motorsports Wheels * VWR Springs * Stoptech Pads * DeAutokey LED's * 24mm H&R RSB
corydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
adolan21
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
adolan21's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CSG GTI DSG
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydd View Post
Spoke to my VW specialist about this last week. Basically he said that cars (with these engines) that do mainly city driving have carbon build-up issues as soon as 40-50k miles, but cars that do a lot of highway driving can go as far as 100-120k miles before the carbon cleaning service is necessary. Like Bender said above, it's all about getting the engine hot enough to burn the carbon off.

It'll cost me a bit more in gas, but hey, any excuse to beat the piss out of my car.
Which makes sense in these cars since they turn 3K rpms at 70 MPH
adolan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
Bender
Banned
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 20,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolan21 View Post
Maybe this will stop all the "I use top tier gas doe!" comments people are always saying. Just maybe...
Probably not. Remember that blow-by DOES contain SOME fuel. The bulk of it is most likely oil, but short of testing crankcase gases, we can't tell how much.

It is likely that fuels with higher detergent content will result in less build-up, but I suspect the effect is insignificant to the overall issue.

That said, "top-tier" is a marketing term and nothing more.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
Bender
Banned
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 20,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydd View Post
Top tier/higher octane gas is still a good idea, especially if you're tuned; it just won't do much for this particular issue.
Top tier /= high octane. Top Tier is a marketing group.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #22
adolan21
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
adolan21's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CSG GTI DSG
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Probably not. Remember that blow-by DOES contain SOME fuel. The bulk of it is most likely oil, but short of testing crankcase gases, we can't tell how much.

It is likely that fuels with higher detergent content will result in less build-up, but I suspect the effect is insignificant to the overall issue.

That said, "top-tier" is a marketing term and nothing more.
Oh I know it's total BS. I use whatever station near me: Mobil, Irving, Valero, doesn't matter.
adolan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
STING
Rally Car Champion
 
STING's Avatar
 
Drives: MK7 Golf GTD & MK6 TDI
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ulster.
Posts: 346
Terraclean. http://acemm.co.uk/terraclean.htm
STING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
adolan21
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
adolan21's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CSG GTI DSG
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 538
Here's a picture of a regular engine vs direct injection from How Stuff Works:

adolan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
smrtypants44
Formula 5000 Driver
 
smrtypants44's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This is not really a whole section. You will get a cold start misfire when bad enough. You MAY sense a performance loss prior to that. I don't emphasize this as I don't want people pulling off manifolds just because they think they are down on power or MPG.
My point is that without some physical effects to carbon buildup there really isn't a point to this thread. Reading through the OP you have the following things laid out:
what causes carbon buildup (why our engines could be potentially susceptible to carbon buildup)
how to prevent carbon buildup

IMHO in order to be a comprehensive post you need to add:
why carbon buildup is bad
how you can suspect you have carbon buildup problems

As it is now it sounds like you are talking academically on how carbon buildup happens but nowhere in your post do you make it very clear why I should be concerned about it (for a thread with the name ...101)
__________________
smrtypants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #26
Bender
Banned
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 20,440
Quote:
IMHO in order to be a comprehensive post you need to add:
why carbon buildup is bad
how you can suspect you have carbon buildup problems

As it is now it sounds like you are talking academically on how carbon buildup happens but nowhere in your post do you make it very clear why I should be concerned about it
Though I understand your point, that is not the intent of this post as both of those factors are purely subjective.

Edit - to be clear, this is intentionally academic as the rest of the subjective factors have been well covered on the board.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #27
project92raddoslc
Formula 3000 Driver
 
project92raddoslc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 GOLF R
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: doylestown, pa
Posts: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by svickstc View Post
Bender did Ken shoot the pics of the new FSI motor done (one of the tech's cars) way worse than yours....eeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
He told me it was barely running but I didn't see it.
What's funny is I started reading this thread and thought hmm maybe i'll send Paul those pics. The car belongs to one of my techs and has 93k miles, synthetic every 5k and premium quality fuel only:

__________________
I am a trader and ditched my MK6 for a MK7 R.

Service Writer--North Penn VW Colmar, PA
project92raddoslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
svickstc
Formula 5000 Champion
 
svickstc's Avatar
 
Drives: Nike 6.0
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 2,012
now after please, show em the after

*insert picture of super clean valves*

when you sent that to me this morning i cringed so hard
__________________
Why V-tec When there is VVTL-i?
|Nikon|
svickstc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.