GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #43
Calvinball
Formula 3000 Driver
 
Calvinball's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 TDI
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by project92raddoslc View Post
BOOOOM!
You guys do good work sir. I'll subscribe to your newsletter.
__________________
"Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"
Calvinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #44
GTI2.0
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI 6SM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Coatesville, PA. 19320
Posts: 296
Great thread. My dealership recommended that you do the valve cleaning every 40k miles on the TSI. They quoted my only $124, so well worth the money IMO. My wife has a TDI and they never said anything about valve cleaning. Do you see a lot of the same issues of carbon build up? I would image it would be no different or even worse.
GTI2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #45
Bender
Banned
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 20,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI2.0 View Post
Great thread. My dealership recommended that you do the valve cleaning every 40k miles on the TSI. They quoted my only $124, so well worth the money IMO. My wife has a TDI and they never said anything about valve cleaning. Do you see a lot of the same issues of carbon build up? I would image it would be no different or even worse.
Note that $124 is NOT a true valve cleaning. They will run a solvent through your fuel system and it won't do jack. A true valve cleaning requires removal of the manifold and will run between $400 and $800 depending on local labor rates. Our area is right in the middle of that range.

And yes, TDIs can suffer the same fate.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #46
Zillon
Banned
 
Drives: Dat R53, doe.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dat forum, doe.
Posts: 19,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Fuel economy.
Come again?

The new generation EA888 in the europeak MK7 has port and direct injection.

Also, FWIW, the FR-S/BRZ gets pretty good fuel economy for a sporty vehicle with a short-ratio transmission.
Zillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #47
Bender
Banned
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 20,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Come again?

The new generation EA888 in the europeak MK7 has port and direct injection.

Also, FWIW, the FR-S/BRZ gets pretty good fuel economy for a sporty vehicle with a short-ratio transmission.
You can get great economy with port injection but you will always get better if you don't utilize it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #48
Zillon
Banned
 
Drives: Dat R53, doe.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dat forum, doe.
Posts: 19,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
You can get great economy with port injection but you will always get better if you don't utilize it.
Initially, perhaps.

Over time, no, due to carbon buildup leeching fuel economy.
Zillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #49
Bender
Banned
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Focus ST
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 20,440
Hahah fair enough!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #50
kern417
Formula 2 Driver
 
Drives: '09 Jetta
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,672
yeah my buildup wasn't close to that bad at all. but as a few others said, i didn't see any improvements in mpg or performance after. it just seemed like someone sprayed carbon plastidip in my valves. it wasn't all chunky l ike that other one
__________________
do a burnout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTI13 View Post
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #51
mdhollis
Formula 5000 Champion
 
mdhollis's Avatar
 
Drives: S3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 2,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Incorrect. Detergent packs are detergent packs. Octane is Octane. Two different and very separate things.
That makes sense. It's all 93 Oct but the fuels have different detergents added
mdhollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #52
project92raddoslc
Formula 3000 Driver
 
project92raddoslc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 GOLF R
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: doylestown, pa
Posts: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
You guys do good work sir. I'll subscribe to your newsletter.
May not be the cheapest in the area but were certainly very thorough
Pm me if youre getting closer to mileage that will require a preventative manual cleaning. Ive been in discussion with my service manager for offering a discounted cleaning rate to forum members so im guaging interest ao we can adjust the price accordingly.
__________________
I am a trader and ditched my MK6 for a MK7 R.

Service Writer--North Penn VW Colmar, PA
project92raddoslc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #53
MrMke
Formula 5000 Champion
 
MrMke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CW MK6 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by project92raddoslc View Post
May not be the cheapest in the area but were certainly very thorough
Pm me if youre getting closer to mileage that will require a preventative manual cleaning. Ive been in discussion with my service manager for offering a discounted cleaning rate to forum members so im guaging interest ao we can adjust the price accordingly.
Interesting.....

So what is the recommended mileage target for getting this done?
__________________
GIAC Stage 2 / AWE TBE / AWE Boost Gauge / APR Carbonio Stage 1&2 / Sigma Six SS / DG Springs / H&R Sways / UNIbrace UB & RB / Golf R LED Tails
MrMke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #54
svickstc
Formula 5000 Champion
 
svickstc's Avatar
 
Drives: Nike 6.0
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Keystone State
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMke View Post
Interesting.....

So what is the recommended mileage target for getting this done?
just texted ken and told him im coming in at 60K, so about 10k from now....NP is very fair for our area and when dealing with ken shits a breeze
__________________
Why V-tec When there is VVTL-i?
|Nikon|
svickstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #55
MrMke
Formula 5000 Champion
 
MrMke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CW MK6 GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boyertown, PA
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by svickstc View Post
just texted ken and told him im coming in at 60K, so about 10k from now....NP is very fair for our area and when dealing with ken shits a breeze
So is 60K the recommended milestone or just your preference? I'm at 42K now.
__________________
GIAC Stage 2 / AWE TBE / AWE Boost Gauge / APR Carbonio Stage 1&2 / Sigma Six SS / DG Springs / H&R Sways / UNIbrace UB & RB / Golf R LED Tails
MrMke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #56
barnes93cb
Formula 5000 Champion
 
barnes93cb's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 BMP 2Dr DSG GTI
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMke View Post
So is 60K the recommended milestone or just your preference? I'm at 42K now.
Its going to vary from car to car. Some cars have needed it at 30k. And others at 90k.
__________________
APR Stage 2 / CTS Intake / Twintercooler / Godspeed Downpipe / MagnaFlow Catback / H&R Springs
APR Stage 2/ Lowered Build Thread
Instagram: barnes93_vw
barnes93cb is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.