GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 10-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #365
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
So I took the car out to Streets of Willow this Sunday and had an absolute blast. Definitely drove the car to it's limits for the first time (I'll explain in a bit). Came out of the session with some big take aways.

First the video of my fastest lap. A respectable 1:38.41

https://youtu.be/5ny_IAteM3s

Now some thoughts:

Car has too much power and is too light to expect the Michelin PSS tires to hold up in turns in low gears. I basically had to stay out of second. In the am it was only about 60F so I thought maybe as the day warmed up. But I was only able to improve a half second later and I attribute that mostly to having alot more of the track to myself. My power to weight is a huge advantage in a straight line but is difficult to lay down on circuit

Now SoW was just recently resurfaced and everyone is talking about how greasy it is. But more than that I think the biggest factor to my lack of grip is a reduced contact patch in the rear due to my weight distribution being probably 70/30 favoring the front. This is evident with how many times I got sideways from my back slipping out... Yes you read that right.

Going forward I'm looking first at rcomp tires. These will go on my team dynamics while the PSS go back on the enkeis.

Secondly I. Looking at going with some Racingline bushings and light weight LCAs.

An LSD needs to happen as well... That's obvious. Because of the cost of the job verses how much I track (3 times a year or so) this is one that may not happen over the winter.

Last thought:

When out with some mk7rs. One stock tune the other stg2. Absolute monsters on the track. They always had grip and we're about 4-5 seconds faster than me. That platform is really amazing
Old 10-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #366
Injen1us
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: MK6 gti
A couple photos from my track session at Streets of Willow.

Again such fun.

Name:  resize track 1.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  125.5 KB
Name:  resize track 2.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  113.3 KB
Old 10-31-2017, 01:11 AM   #367
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
^ Awesome pics!

Yeah, at your power level, LSD definitely makes a lot of sense. Will be a good equalizer against the AWD Rs

My Build Thread
Instagram
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote