GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 11:35 PM   #15
Frank@KMD
GolfMK6 Official Vendor
 
Frank@KMD's Avatar
 
Drives: Anything with 4 wheels
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,440
Send a message via AIM to Frank@KMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Dead battery.
^^^^^ Dis
Frank@KMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #16
jerome99
Formula 5000 Driver
 
jerome99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,997
Man some of these help my car ____________ threads scare me. Is the golf platform the starter car for kids or something? I thought everyone on the planet has had a piece of shit car that didn't start from time to time. The world has gotten way to soft.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
__________________
2011 GTI Build Thread

K04, Godspeed DP, Godspeed IC, CM FX-350 w/DMFW, H&R Coilovers, Boxter-S BBK,
jerome99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #17
Repooc
Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: '10 GTI CW
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 389
+1 on dead battery.

Happened to me after Christmas after a deep cold spell... got boosted and it lasted another 3 weeks until it died again after another cold spell.

Finally said Eff it, and went and bought a new battery. Now it starts EVERY TIME without hesitation.
Repooc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #18
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion
 
FocalPoint's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 4,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAW96 View Post
But all of the interior lights and headlights are working
Keep in mind, the battery needs to a high enough amperage to turn the car over. More important than voltage, is amperage. As the battery discharges, available amperage drops dramatically. If the battery has a dead cell(s) it will be below the required amperage. Suffice to say, other electronics that don't require that much voltage will function ok, but the car will not start. Average battery supplies 12.5 volts and 9.4amps are required to turn the car over. Battery is comprised of 6 2-volt cells. If one fails, the output will take a severe hit.
__________________
FocalPoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #19
Zillon
Banned
 
Drives: Dat R53, doe.
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dat forum, doe.
Posts: 19,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome99 View Post
Man some of these help my car ____________ threads scare me. Is the golf platform the starter car for kids or something? I thought everyone on the planet has had a piece of shit car that didn't start from time to time. The world has gotten way to soft.


Can't say I disagree. It's not just the Golf platform, though, or even teenagers; it's all drivers in general.
Zillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:55 AM   #20
KAW96
Autocross Newbie
 
KAW96's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Golf R
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome99 View Post
Man some of these help my car ____________ threads scare me. Is the golf platform the starter car for kids or something? I thought everyone on the planet has had a piece of shit car that didn't start from time to time. The world has gotten way to soft.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
you mad bro
__________________
"A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson
KAW96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #21
jerome99
Formula 5000 Driver
 
jerome99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAW96 View Post
you mad bro
From time to time yep

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
__________________
2011 GTI Build Thread

K04, Godspeed DP, Godspeed IC, CM FX-350 w/DMFW, H&R Coilovers, Boxter-S BBK,
jerome99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #22
McSwine
Rally Car Newbie
 
McSwine's Avatar
 
Drives: 1967 VW Beetle/2012 CW GTI
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Levy, Arkansas
Posts: 272
What brand of replacement battery are y'all buying?
McSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #23
jerome99
Formula 5000 Driver
 
jerome99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,997
Honestly I would get the one with the best warrantee to price ratio. Walmart usually dose a good job on that front. Most batteries minus the gel cell or race batteries are recycled anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
__________________
2011 GTI Build Thread

K04, Godspeed DP, Godspeed IC, CM FX-350 w/DMFW, H&R Coilovers, Boxter-S BBK,
jerome99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #24
speedster
FIA GT Champion
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI MKVI
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: .
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome99 View Post
Man some of these help my car ____________ threads scare me. Is the golf platform the starter car for kids or something? I thought everyone on the planet has had a piece of shit car that didn't start from time to time. The world has gotten way to soft.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The GTI was my first car at 33. I always lived in major cities and rode a bike / used public transport.

I bought the car cash. Instead of wasting money maintaining pieces of shit for the past 15 years I saved up down payments for 4 investment properties.

Not sure what's soft about that?
__________________
Build Thread CW GTI MKVI - APR K04, Downpipe, CAI, DSG Tune - Wagner Intercooler - Magnaflow Exhaust - H&R Swaybars and Coilovers + Swift Custom Springs - GC Camber Plates - Unibrace UB + XB - Nurburgring Wheels
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #25
bmllr8
FIA World Rally Car Newbie
 
bmllr8's Avatar
 
Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 450
I'll vote for battery as well. My wife's old car (2007 Altima) did the same thing. Instead of slowly trying to turn the motor over as I was used to with other cars it just clicked when the battery had a bad cell that caused it to lose charge over the weekend.
bmllr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 PM   #26
jerome99
Formula 5000 Driver
 
jerome99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
The GTI was my first car at 33. I always lived in major cities and rode a bike / used public transport.

I bought the car cash. Instead of wasting money maintaining pieces of shit for the past 15 years I saved up down payments for 4 investment properties.

Not sure what's soft about that?
I would consider a pos car a rite of passage for the average male American. I would assume most of the American population live outside a population center that has affordable mass transit. Even living in larger cities such as Atlanta I never found that living with in walking or biking distance to my job offset the cost of living in the city. I did grow up in a rural community where driving was mandatory so I do have that experience. But hey not everybody has the same lifestyle or experiences, if you didn't get around to owning your car in till later on then that's just the way the chips fell.

There are however some basic understanding and troubleshooting skills that are needed to efficiently work a motor vehicle. Now I'm not saying that you are this way at all just in general I feel that you should know more than just the basics of any tool that you use. But it looks like most Americans feel that a car is just that a tool to get from A to B. If I'm not mistaken there's even a troubleshooting guide in the back of the manual but I would have to look and verify that the symptoms that were posted in the original post were listed. That doesn't mean you should be able to overhaul your own engine rebuild a transmission. It does mean however that if you're stranded somewhere because of a dead battery you don't have to call a tow truck and take it to the dealer to have the battery charged that's just an example I'm not talking about anybody in this thread.

If you're Canadian then I apologize one because you're Canadian and two because you're not American.



Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
__________________
2011 GTI Build Thread

K04, Godspeed DP, Godspeed IC, CM FX-350 w/DMFW, H&R Coilovers, Boxter-S BBK,
jerome99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #27
jerome99
Formula 5000 Driver
 
jerome99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 1,997
Haha long day at work. I work with people dumber than anyone that is on this forum I get a little better sometimes

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
__________________
2011 GTI Build Thread

K04, Godspeed DP, Godspeed IC, CM FX-350 w/DMFW, H&R Coilovers, Boxter-S BBK,
jerome99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:14 AM   #28
speedster
FIA GT Champion
 
speedster's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI MKVI
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: .
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome99 View Post
I would consider a pos car a rite of passage for the average male American. I would assume most of the American population live outside a population center that has affordable mass transit. Even living in larger cities such as Atlanta I never found that living with in walking or biking distance to my job offset the cost of living in the city. I did grow up in a rural community where driving was mandatory so I do have that experience. But hey not everybody has the same lifestyle or experiences, if you didn't get around to owning your car in till later on then that's just the way the chips fell.

There are however some basic understanding and troubleshooting skills that are needed to efficiently work a motor vehicle. Now I'm not saying that you are this way at all just in general I feel that you should know more than just the basics of any tool that you use. But it looks like most Americans feel that a car is just that a tool to get from A to B. If I'm not mistaken there's even a troubleshooting guide in the back of the manual but I would have to look and verify that the symptoms that were posted in the original post were listed. That doesn't mean you should be able to overhaul your own engine rebuild a transmission. It does mean however that if you're stranded somewhere because of a dead battery you don't have to call a tow truck and take it to the dealer to have the battery charged that's just an example I'm not talking about anybody in this thread.

If you're Canadian then I apologize one because you're Canadian and two because you're not American.



Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Haha. I'm Australian. Glad not to be American. Nothing against America but its really a different culture. For example the arrogance you display and the insecurity that lies beneath it. Anyway, that's a whole different conversation.

When my battery died after the car running hot for a few days (and having gone k04 only a week prior), I freaked out. So I can empathize with the guy who's battery died (again another quality that seems to be missing in the US).
__________________
Build Thread CW GTI MKVI - APR K04, Downpipe, CAI, DSG Tune - Wagner Intercooler - Magnaflow Exhaust - H&R Swaybars and Coilovers + Swift Custom Springs - GC Camber Plates - Unibrace UB + XB - Nurburgring Wheels
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.