GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front mount intercooler versus upgraded stock location intercooler questions

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I was just curious as to what "real world" advantage would be obtained by going with a front mount intercooler over an upgraded stock location replacement intercooler?

It looks like custom brackets are needed to delete the stock intercooler when going with a straight up front mount. I also have concerns that a front mount will be more apt to get damaged. But other than those concerns, what real world advantage, as in % of cooling factor will a front mount net over an upgraded stock replacement?

I'm considering going Unitronic stage 2+ soon, and since I live in an area where heat and humidity is a problem, I'm just trying to cover all my bases before I decide on an upgraded intercooler. I also have memories of my 2012 WRX (a bone stock car) heatsoaking like a mofo during the months of July and August. That car ran like a total pig after it heatsoaked.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
Ive currently got the Forge twintercooler front mount waiting to be installed as I too am going K04 next month.

Benefits over stock spot? Hard to say, it gets direct outside air because it sits right at the front unobstructed. It looks cool if you like the look of an intercooler like some people do. But overall I don't think its a huge difference over a well designed stock position replacement like the APR etc..

I chose the twintercooler more because I love the look of an FMIC, think it looks mean, and because it keeps the use of the oem intercooler as well, so its easy to replace/remove if the need arises.

Maybe somebody with a bit of data could chime in?

Chris@DoubleApex

Ready to race!
I was just curious as to what "real world" advantage would be obtained by going with a front mount intercooler over an upgraded stock location replacement intercooler?

You can't fit a front mount core large enough to outperform a quality stock replacement or twin cooler. The stock location can fit a larger core and more importantly one with a lot more frontal area. This advantage outweighs the disadvantage of being behind the AC condenser.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
You can't fit a front mount core large enough to outperform a quality stock replacement or twin cooler. The stock location can fit a larger core and more importantly one with a lot more frontal area. This advantage outweighs the disadvantage of being behind the AC condenser.

How big of a disadvantage is it to having it in the front rather than a stock replacement? I've wanted to get one too, but don't want a stock replacement for the same reason that I believe it looks cooler and more menacing being in the front where it's seen. I also don't want to have it be at such a disadvantage though where it's really not worth it, but if it's negligible between the two spots with just a nod going to the stock replacement, I'm okay with that.

The_Koof1

Ready to race!
I just upgraded to a front mount. I gave plenty of consideration to stock location units but in the end I couldn't get past the fact they sit between the radiator and condenser. That just bugs me. Yes I know that they still perform very well, APR'S unit especially, but I just didn't like it.

I went with the front mount as it doesn't get any better for cooling by having it front and center. The unit I have is rated to 450 hp which is plenty for me as I have no desire for Stage 3. Installation is a breeze, especially compared to stock location, and you do not have to delete the factory unit. Plus it just plain looks cool hiding behind the bumper.

For how much better cooling, I honestly don't know but I'd imagine it's a fair bit better seeing as it's right up front getting all that fresh air and not being warmed up by the radiator and condenser.

Sent from my ENIAC using Tapatalk

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
I just upgraded to a front mount. I gave plenty of consideration to stock location units but in the end I couldn't get past the fact they sit between the radiator and condenser. That just bugs me. Yes I know that they still perform very well, APR'S unit especially, but I just didn't like it.

I went with the front mount as it doesn't get any better for cooling by having it front and center. The unit I have is rated to 450 hp which is plenty for me as I have no desire for Stage 3. Installation is a breeze, especially compared to stock location, and you do not have to delete the factory unit. Plus it just plain looks cool hiding behind the bumper.

For how much better cooling, I honestly don't know but I'd imagine it's a fair bit better seeing as it's right up front getting all that fresh air and not being warmed up by the radiator and condenser.

Sent from my ENIAC using Tapatalk

What I care about is lag. More piping, plus stock inter cooler still there.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion

Lag and reliability are my big concerns. From the looks of the install instructions, it seems as though a front mount is easier to DIY than the triple stack.

I tried searching and I saw no temperature numbers that comparing an aftermarket FMIC to an aftermarket stock intercooler, hence the reason I posted the thread.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!

Lag should be negligible, I haven't read anything that indicates it will be much worse if at all with the twin FMIC setups..

U-20T

Go Kart Champion

I disagree, a true FMIC does fit and is more efficient. This is mine PTE 600hp universal (uses their 675hp core). It fits behind the bumper cover without cutting it at all. Support is trimmed but still retains a functional tow hook. Uses 2.5" piping from the turbo to TB.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Precision does make one of the best FMIC around. That looks great on your car, U-20T. I, too, have never been a fan of "stock location" FMIC replacements.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I've had the Twintercooler installed for 2 years, there is no lag and you can notice the difference in terms of heatsoak vs. stock.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand why inter coolers are rated for a certain amount of horsepower. The reason turbo cars need intercoolers is because the turbo pressurizes the air and thus heats it up tremendously. So realistically, turbos should be rated for an amount of boost...

As for the whole FMIC setup, has anyone gotten rid of the stock intercooler?

Edit: NVM, looks like it gets blocked off in the Neuspeed setup. I would not be a fan of the twintercooler, however.