GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 11-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #43
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Thats pretty normal. There is still a record of the code inside the computer. I find that if its not a recurring issue it will turn off the light after a couple days.
It actually turned back on today. I'm willing to bet that it will turn off in the next couple of days. I should probably just clear the code all together. Car hasn't been struggling or chuggling from what I can tell.
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

LightningRhod's quest to 200k and beyond
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #44
TWM Performance
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Mk5 R32
Great thread! Seems to be really reliable so far. Keep on troopin'

Renato
Team TWM Performance
TWM Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #45
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWM Performance View Post
Great thread! Seems to be really reliable so far. Keep on troopin'

Renato
Team TWM Performance
Thanks! I'm really hoping this thing will last beyond 200k
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

Old 11-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #46
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

CEL turned back on several days ago and is still on. This morning when I turned the car on, the CEL was blinking then turned solid and stayed on. Will need to scan and troubleshoot (change out all coils and plugs possibly).

Old 01-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #47
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

UPDATE on my CEL....

Changed out my coils and plugs, cleaned the MAF, and cleared the codes. It would be ok for a day, then turn back on the next day. NOW if I clear it, the CEL will turn on during the second start up (after driving several miles on the first startup).

The codes that are being thrown are always the following:

P301 - Cylinder 1 misfire
P302 - Cylinder 2 misfire

A random misfire code will also pop up with it.

At cold start, it is very apparent that there the cylinders are misfiring as I can hear "stutters" in the exhaust rumble. I've essentially already ruled out electrical issues (coils, plugs, MAF), so I'm willing to be that its air/fuel related.

Made an appointment at 034 Motorsports to do a carbon cleaning on Jan 29th. Before then, I'm going to take it to Winn VW to check out the fuel injectors to see if those are faulty. I believe VW extended the warranty on this part to 120k miles, to which I'm currently at 116k miles.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #48
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

I should also add that once the car is warmed up, the audible misfires go away. I have full power with no hesitations when on the gas.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #49
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Looks like I finally solved my misfire problem. Got a carbon cleaning last week and the rough idle at cold start is gone. It's been a few days and no check engine light has come back on yet. Here are some pics.

Valves before:

IMG_5878 by ichibankakkoii, on Flickr

Valves after:

IMG_5880 by ichibankakkoii, on Flickr

More carbon build up shots on the port dividers:

IMG_5876 by ichibankakkoii, on Flickr

IMG_5877 by ichibankakkoii, on Flickr

Last edited by LightningRhod; 02-02-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #50
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
do you plan on replacing your shocks? or are they still holding up with DG springs?
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | TT-RS Brakes | Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero Parts | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club Feel free to join!
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #51
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi View Post
do you plan on replacing your shocks? or are they still holding up with DG springs?
I actually have my Bilsteins on hand, just haven't had the time to install them.

But yeah, my stock shocks are freakin' BLOWN lol.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #52
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Good opportunity to update since I'm here....

Car is sitting at 122k miles and nothing new to report. It's kind of boring when I have nothing to fix on the car.............lol.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #53
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningRhod View Post
Good opportunity to update since I'm here....

Car is sitting at 122k miles and nothing new to report. It's kind of boring when I have nothing to fix on the car.............lol.
thats a good thing!
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | TT-RS Brakes | Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero Parts | P3 |
Old 04-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #54
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 130k+
Seriously, don't jinx yourself. I'm at 108k and my commute is about to get longer. Hoping to make 300k eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #55
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Seriously, don't jinx yourself. I'm at 108k and my commute is about to get longer. Hoping to make 300k eventually.
gotta love seeing other GTIs reaching these high mileage without too much problems..ive only owned Japanese cars in the past and GTI was the only car that gave me problems(water pump, radiator) but thankfully warranty covered them all.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #56
timneedscoffee10
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 VW GTI w Sunroof
Awesome build thread -- glad to see someone else in this for the long haul! I'm just creeping up on 100k myself, and plan to keep her until it's just not feasible to keep her running anymore.

To celebrate an aggressive first 100,000 miles, I'm starting to mod back towards daily driving comfort - trying to strike a balance between aggressive performance and 25,000 miles a year.

sub'd