GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 11-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #85
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW GTI DSG
So yesterday I got a CEL while I was driving. The car ran normally with normal power delivery. I figured it's probably due for another carbon cleaning, until I did an OBD scan and error code P2187 (System too lean at idle bank 1) popped up.

When starting the car today, the engine sputtered and struggled to start until I gave it a stab of gas. Once started though, the engine idles really rough. Quick google search indicates that the source of the failure is probably the PCV inner gasket. I have the part on order and probably won't arrive until Tuesday, so I'm somewhat stranded at the moment.

Apparently it's pretty common for the PCV to fail and I most likely have the first version of the part since my car is a 2011. Can't wait to put in the latest revision (06H103495AH) .

Current mileage: 176k
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

LightningRhod's quest to 200k and beyond
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #86
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

It's probably also worth changing out my spark plugs. It seems the last time I changed them out was at 83k miles :/
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

Old 11-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #87
tturbocar
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2012 Mk6 4Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningRhod View Post
So yesterday I got a CEL while I was driving. The car ran normally with normal power delivery. I figured it's probably due for another carbon cleaning, until I did an OBD scan and error code P2187 (System too lean at idle bank 1) popped up.

When starting the car today, the engine sputtered and struggled to start until I gave it a stab of gas. Once started though, the engine idles really rough. Quick google search indicates that the source of the failure is probably the PCV inner gasket. I have the part on order and probably won't arrive until Tuesday, so I'm somewhat stranded at the moment.

Apparently it's pretty common for the PCV to fail and I most likely have the first version of the part since my car is a 2011. Can't wait to put in the latest revision (06H103495AH) .

Current mileage: 176k
same thing happened to me. except that mine popped codes for the hpfp. had to restart it at a light and put my foot into it to get her moving. im at 101k
tturbocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #88
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quick update. I don't have time to further debug the issue, so I'm taking it into the shop on Wednesday:

P2187 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle
P2279 - Leak in Air Intake System

In trying to debug the issue, I've performed the following work:

- Replaced the spark plugs (NGK Iridium BKR7EIX)
- Replaced the PCV valve (updated part 06H-103-495-AH)

Unfortunately the new parts did not fix the issue.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #89
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Cleaned the MAF just now and started the car again to test. Didn't fix the issue. However, I am now getting misfires on cylinders 2 and 4.

P300 - Multiple misfires
P302 - Misfire on cylinder 2
P304 - Misfire on cylinder 4

A few years ago, I noticed the car would struggle to start until I stabbed the gas to give it some motivation. Now the car struggles unless keep my foot on the gas. So the trouble with the car probably started a few years, but didn't start throwing codes until now.

Hopefully the car can make the drive to the shop on Wednesday. I miss driving the car .

Old 11-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #90
tturbocar
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Cleaned the MAF just now and started the car again to test. Didn't fix the issue. However, I am now getting misfires on cylinders 2 and 4.

P300 - Multiple misfires

A few years ago, I noticed the car would struggle to start until I stabbed the gas to give it some motivation. Now the car struggles unless keep my foot on the gas. So the trouble with the car probably started a few years, but didn't start throwing codes until now.

Hopefully the car can make the drive to the shop on Wednesday. I miss driving the car .
no codes with the hpfp? i cleared my codes and tried to start it up and keep doing the same issue yours had. but this time all the codes pointed to the hp pump failing and sure enough it was. replaced it and shes back to normal
Old 11-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #91
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbocar View Post
no codes with the hpfp? i cleared my codes and tried to start it up and keep doing the same issue yours had. but this time all the codes pointed to the hp pump failing and sure enough it was. replaced it and shes back to normal
Nah, no codes for the HPFP. I suspect that the root of the error is air related given the codes I'm getting. PCV was updated and I didn't find any leaks in my air intake, so maybe the leak is coming from the turbo side or the intake manifold (which was replaced a several months ago). We'll see what the shop's analysis is on Wed.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #92
tturbocar
Autocross Newbie

Quote:
Nah, no codes for the HPFP. I suspect that the root of the error is air related given the codes I'm getting. PCV was updated and I didn't find any leaks in my air intake, so maybe the leak is coming from the turbo side or the intake manifold (which was replaced a several months ago). We'll see what the shop's analysis is on Wed.
odd. Well i hope the best of luck to this for you!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #93
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:

P300 - Multiple misfires

hopefully nothing major!
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | TT-RS Brakes | Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #94
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbocar View Post
odd. Well i hope the best of luck to this for you!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi View Post
hopefully nothing major!
Hopefully it's something minor. I'm only a year away from hitting 200k! Haha.

I'll give another update on Wednesday after I find out what the diagnosis is.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #95
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

So the shop just contacted me with their analysis.

2 things related to the intake leak:
- Rear main gasket was blown. Needs to be replaced.
- New PCV valve part was faulty. Luckily their warranting the new part and just installing a new one.

And of course the misfires. It's about time for me to have another carbon cleaning, so I'm having them do that too.

They'll need the car until tomorrow to do the work and test drive it, and since they've run out of loaner cars, I'll be stranded again (it's been almost 2 weeks).

It's more than I want to spend on repairing the car right now (especially with the holidays coming up), but I just want the car back healthy again

Old 11-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #96
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
So the shop just contacted me with their analysis.

2 things related to the intake leak:
- Rear main gasket was blown. Needs to be replaced.
- New PCV valve part was faulty. Luckily their warranting the new part and just installing a new one.

And of course the misfires. It's about time for me to have another carbon cleaning, so I'm having them do that too.

They'll need the car until tomorrow to do the work and test drive it, and since they've run out of loaner cars, I'll be stranded again (it's been almost 2 weeks).

It's more than I want to spend on repairing the car right now (especially with the holidays coming up), but I just want the car back healthy again

Yeah just bad timing, but the issues aren't too bad.
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | Fluidampr| OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | TT-RS Brakes | Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club
Old 11-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #97
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi View Post
Yeah just bad timing, but the issues aren't too bad.
Yeah, not catastrophic failures or anything. But all the work together is $$$$$$ unfortunately.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #98
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Quote:
Yeah, not catastrophic failures or anything. But all the work together is $$$$$$ unfortunately.
yeah scary, i think i remember reading that bad PCV will mess up the RMS. my n80 valve took a dump too, but gonan get that replaced with carbon cleaning this weekend
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club