GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

deAutokey License Plate LED Fell Out

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
44$ for hit and miss lights?

gtfo.

It is not a hit or miss light, it is the way you install them, if they do not click, it will not work. Once they click, there is no issues, if it is not clicking in the first try, you can turn them 180 degrees to see if the clip better catches on the other side of the bumper.

Easy install found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VY9HXHQmsGo#t=807

So once I originally installed it, it didn't give the click that the oem housing did. After the housing fell out, I pushed it into the housing and pounded it with my hand. I heard a click and that seems to have done it

Thanks again for clearing that up, we appreciate it.

---
We are not here to lie to our customers, if these do not stay in your bumper then we would not sell them.

We have had a lot of experience installing these, and once they clicked they never moved. We understand that it might not be as easy to install as we would like, but they do work and fit fine.

We like these housings vs RDASH because of the crisp white light they produce with NO blue lines and we have no intentions of changing them.

If a small percentage of people are having this issue, we can only assume that they are not installing these correctly, and that is why we are hear to try to help get these installed correctly in your car.

Thank you

Last edited:
Why would I be not installing it correctly? Am I retarded?

pretty sure this does not have direct fit and needs to be played around to fit. I got it to fit, after many pm's with people making sure I don't break anything. I was told to jam a flat head and it didn't work. They almost snapped in half trying to go in. My oem didn't do this. My Rdash didn't do this. It's your product. Now stop trying to blame me for something that isn't 100%. Faulty product. hit and miss. /thread.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Why would I be not installing it correctly? Am I retarded?

pretty sure this does not have direct fit and needs to be played around to fit. I got it to fit, after many pm's with people making sure I don't break anything. I was told to jam a flat head and it didn't work. They almost snapped in half trying to go in. My oem didn't do this. My Rdash didn't do this. It's your product. Now stop trying to blame me for something that isn't 100%. Faulty product. hit and miss. /thread.

"pretty sure this does not have direct fit and needs to be played around to fit."

Direct fit to us is that they stay in your bumper and will not move once installed correctly.

We are saying they are not being installed correctly because people within this thread admitted they NEVER heard any type of click when they first installed, which lead them to fall out later, once hearing the click on the second install, they DID NOT fall out.

Please do not misunderstand what we are trying to say.

So you still think there is nothing wrong with this product?

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
used OEM LED housings = $30
OEM fitment, OEM warranty, OEM quality

one downside.. or at least to most people it's a downside - it doesnt make it seem as if it is daytime when they are on.

my buddy has the deautokey ones. he hasnt said anything about them falling out yet, but they are bright as shit. it's sort of annoying at night.

used OEM LED housings = $30
OEM fitment, OEM warranty, OEM quality

one downside.. or at least to most people it's a downside - it doesnt make it seem as if it is daytime when they are on.

my buddy has the deautokey ones. he hasnt said anything about them falling out yet, but they are bright as shit. it's sort of annoying at night.

Mine didn't fall out. It didn't want to go on the car :laugh:

I like the brightness. compliments the taillights.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
I have issues with light sensitivity and my eyes, so you can't really blame me.. Rather my parent's genes that gave me sensitive eyes lol.

But not going in is a problem

Sent via my hairs.

I have issues with light sensitivity and my eyes, so you can't really blame me.. Rather my parent's genes that gave me sensitive eyes lol.

But not going in is a problem

Sent via my hairs.

that's what people are having issues with, it doesn't snap in. it sits flush but its actually not click'd in like it's supposed to. This is because the plastic clip is too short, so it doesn't clear the edge.

anyways, whatever, deauto can keep copying and pasting answers, and not accept that this is a bad excuse of a product. Stop making universal products and make ones for the right cars. That's probably why it's not fitting in on some of our cars.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
My take away is the lack of clarity on the install is the major problem. IMO it is not logical to go grab a flat head and jam the clip in further. If I was that concerned with the original fitment my first fix it attempt would be some sort of tape or silicon (as it sounds like some have done). The reason for this is b/c in my mind the fitment was good enough to where it was installed properly, and also who could screw up something so extremely simple.

That being said deautokey keeps referring to their video where he states a flat head might be needed. I think this is the only place I've heard of/seen the issue? I watched that video a handful of times when I first got the kit for reference to the interior LEDs... But who's going to waste the time to watch someone do the license plate ones? They have to be the easiest thing in the world; right?

I'm not saying that others can't get theirs to fit (even w/ a flat head). The margin is so extremely small that any imperfection on the outer lip or the edge of the clip will put you over that 0.5mm threshold (made up number) where you can't get the clip forced into place to snap in correctly. Especially if the "designed fitment" requires some sort of additional force to be added to the clip to begin with. So in that regard they should be warrantied if the legitimately won't fit (granted you meet deauto's warranty terms), but I know I wouldn't go through the hassle b/c I would assume the fitment was as designed... obviously.

Ppl continue to buy deauto's stuff b/c they have a loyal fan base and their shit looks great. I can live with having to actively secure the license plate led's b/c of how they look. If they looked the same as rdash (or others), but the others had better fitment; I would go with them because who wouldn't?

The only thing I can fault deAutokey on here is their lack of documentation. They have that video and if they think that's good enough that's their business. But if others had not found it obvious to put extra force on the clip (even after the video) then it should be understood that future customers will too. If you don't want to create a thread to try to inform ppl then at least toss in a piece of paper with the kits stating "if you do not hear them click into place, a flat head might be required to force the clip into the bumper further. if you do NOT hear the click they are not fully seated and you should contact deautokey@gmail.com".

That being said I'd still recommend deAutokey to anyone; I'll now toss in a word of warning to watch the license plate led fitment, but I'd still recommend them. I've loved all their stuff, and they have been very helpful with everything thus far. I didn't start this thread to bash deauto, but rather find out if this was a common issue. If not to justify to myself that I'm truly not an idiot, then to at least put the words out there for other future buyers or unaware current owners. And I'm glad I did because it's good to know how these are "designed" to fit. Makes me that much more confident for round 2.

I should write a book.

JhnR

Banned
Mine stay in because i have the OEM housings. But even when i had deautokey housing mine still fit fine. Now that i see all these problems coming up, i wonder how i was so lucky :laugh:

I bought mine from Boldsport and fitment was exactly the same as OEM. Never had any problems with "falling out leds..." If you need to use force or screw drivers to install these lights, something is wrong.

spiker369

on air, don't care
I wouldn't say that, but lets see if they came out with a solution out of this.

realistically they should source a new producer for the housings or make a new mold. financially they probably won't since people are still buying them.
I personally believe though they should include a small blurb about the fitment issues on the product page. At least if I was running their site that's what I'd do.