GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

lilfleck - The Rebuild - Focus: Function

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
What should I have color matched on my car? Thinking about doing the front valance, corners, grill slats and rear emblem. Basically the same thing as last time... It's so Clea

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
What should I have color matched on my car? Thinking about doing the front valance, corners, grill slats and rear emblem. Basically the same thing as last time... It's so Clea

i think lower front valence color match is overdone. definitely do side markers if you aren't planning to shave the bumper.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
the painted lower front valance is so played out that even 2015 GTI's now come with it in MK7. This one guy VW-TX or something was the pioneer.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I just miss my old MK6:

HOW DO YOU NOT LOVE THIS?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
the painted lower front valance is so played out that even 2015 GTI's now come with it in MK7. This one guy VW-TX or something was the pioneer.

BTW - I like what you did with the paint on your side skirts and rear valance. I plan on doing the same thing. I'm just not sure I want to go that glossy. I want low gloss, but I want it to be dark/bold.

What are your thoughts on the high/low gloss?

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
BTW - I like what you did with the paint on your side skirts and rear valance. I plan on doing the same thing. I'm just not sure I want to go that glossy. I want low gloss, but I want it to be dark/bold.

What are your thoughts on the high/low gloss?

ya... i'd do all my painting projects differently after everything i learned.

first, i'd do plasti-dip instead of spray paint. i had to re-do my badges/stripes a bunch of times, and ended up having to buy brand new front and rear emblems ($85 shipped) when i decided to go back to chrome. (P.S. I have a black front emblem for sale. I also have my parts4euro clear markers for sale btw.)

Next tip, let your stripes dry a long time if you paint them. i scraped off my paint 2 separate times now during reinstall and had to completely sand and repaint. Mostly impatience, it was only 4-5 hours since the last coat of paint. Let them harden and dry 24-36 hours before reinstallation if you don't want any accidents. I should have used pin stripe black tape now that I look back on it. Would have been 10X easier than painting them.

The glossy rear valance doesnt look perfect on textured surface. It could look perfect if it was perfectly smooth like the Golf R rear valance. I will either sand it smooth which is a huge project, or just paint it matte black instead.

The glossy side skirts don't look right in the Sun. They are too shiney and reflective, making it hard to see the color. That might have been because I used way too many coats of everything... 4-5 gloss blacks, then 3-4 clears over it.. In hindsight I realize you are only supposed to use 1 coat of clear on top.. I would re-do my sides in matte black instead. In fact, I still might re-do them.

My final front setup. Normal badges, just blacked out stripes. The rear is bone stock, except for the painted lower valance. I realized that the red stripes look the worst on CSG paint, they don't go with anything. But they look best on white paint.

Last edited:

chip1

Ready to race!
I did my csg valances with black plasti dip and glossifier on top. They are not as glossy as how 2013R did his.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion

Don't paint the "VW" paint the background.

I just miss my old MK6:

HOW DO YOU NOT LOVE THIS?

YOU CANT NOT LOVE THAT. VW LOVED IT SO MUCH THEY PUT IT ON ALL MK7'S!!

butchered by autocorrecr