GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 05-02-2014, 01:09 AM   #29
Blaznjoe
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI 2-D CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by steemax View Post
maybe it wouldn't hurt to drop by the dealership on a hot day and test out the AC in a new one.
Careful......on my 90 day dealer check up after buying my GTI they asked if I wanted a software update that had to do something with climate control system. I gave them the okay. I have no idea if it improved anything but my factory gauge sweep was gone afterwards. I wasn't "tuned" so I didn't care and just VAG'd the gauge sweep a few months later. Make sure they get your permission to F with your ECU.

BTW....drove to lunch at noon today and my A/C worked fine.
GIAC Stage 2e40|SPM Street DP|SACHS Performance Coilovers|VOLK ZE40's|Neuspeed BBK,Pulley,P-Flo,TOP,FMIC,CBE,SS brakelines,& ShortShifter|Whiteline ALK|Hotchkis F & R Swaybars|Autotech Rotors|Hawk Pads|EuroSport X-Brace|TyrolSport DS SF C Kits|GFB DV+|SB.S2.SMFW|Wavetrac|Michelin PSS|Podi|ECS CatchCan www.kopropo.com/america/
Blaznjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:28 AM   #30
eight_heads
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 MKVI GTI
I'm in southern Louisiana and I haven't had any problems so far. Mine cools very quickly and I usually keep the fan on either 1 or 2...
Old 05-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #31
afctom
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: MK6 1.4 TSI
Just got a golf but my AC is amazing
afctom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #32
jbetts1790
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
It's been a rough winter, so I haven't used A/C since I bought the car in Sept, but it worked great then
jbetts1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #33
svickstc
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Nike 6.0
mine has been ice cold, however, havent used it after this harsh winter we had here in NEPA

might be in for a suprise in the coming weeks/months :/
Old 05-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #34
pngorba
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 BMW 335is
I had a 2009 Jetta TDI that wouldn't start cooling for several minutes just like yours. The dealer replaced the compressor & all was well again.
pngorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #35
emk6
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Beetle
AC blows in this car. I have a habit of having the windows rolled down using my key fob before I get in the car.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #36
JT64
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Everything
Like has been said already put window up a windshield screen especially if your car will be parked any where near direct sun light when outside & crack open a window or 2 or the sunroof as heat rises upwards. That being said mine won't start blowing cold for about 5 minutes But what makes it get cold faster is driving at freeway speeds (But it never blows hot air). But it's overall performance isn't as good as any of my previous cars & trucks (last 2 2008 Pontiac G6 GT V6 & 1997 GMC Sonoma V6 Truck) But it will still get cold enough to keep me comfortable. You also need to remember to change your cabin filters on a regular basis as this will affect the Air Quality & Efficiency of your HVAC system (your intervals for this will vary depending on the climate in which you live). Also make sure it is set on recirculate So it's not pulling hot air from the outside.

Last edited by JT64; 05-02-2014 at 01:44 PM.
JT64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #37
Dave1078
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '16 GTI MT
Are you using recirculate immediately? If so, that's partly why it takes so long to cool down.
Dave1078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #38
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
You might be low on refrigerant. One of the lines had a small pin-hole leak and eventually was useless. I had this issue last year around this time. Get it checked out at the stealership if you're still under warranty. Better hope they don't blame it on the F23T setup. LOL
Old 05-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #39
JerrBear
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 Black VW GTI 6 spd MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
This, for me at least. Chicago gets hot and muggy in the summer and I've taken my car down to the South (KY, TN, GA, the Carolina's VA and West VA) and the Southwest (UT, AZ, NM, TX, OK). Temps sometimes above 100* and my AC handled it like a champ. Rarely have to turn it above 2 and or set temp lower than 72 (I have Climactic). If you park outside during the day, it helps if you crack the windows a bit or tilt your sunroof up (if you have one). It's the best car AC I've ever had.

Disclaimer - first time I went to use it this spring and - nothing. 4 months out of warranty. Took it in and dealer refilled the R134 and didn't charge me. They injected die but couldn't find any leak. Told me to monitor it and bring it back in a few weeks and they'll check it again.

But other than that, it's been a tremendous AC for me in some of the hottest, muggiest parts of the country.

This^2
It's getting pretty hot in SoCal (I have a black GTI sitting in the sun) and what I do is roll down all 4 windows all the way, drive pretty damn fast for a few minutes and let the hot air cycle out before I turn the a/c on and then after it gets cool I close the windows. Has been working pretty well. If it's a short drive it's more effective to just roll down all the windows rather than wait for the the a/c to kick in
JerrBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #40
McSwine
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 1967 VW Beetle/2012 CW GTI
It can get to be a hot and humid MF here in Little Rock and I would describe my A/C as "adequate". The air gets plenty cold but it just doesn't have good airflow. The wife's 2006 RAV4's air is exponentially better.
McSwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #41
trev1342
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: '14 GTI Driver's Edition DSG
My AC gets ice cold and cools the cabin quickly.
DeAuto Full LED Kit w. Red Footwells - Aluminum Glove Box Handle - OEM Auto Euro Light Switch - VAG-COM - Clear Side Markers - Amber LED Side Marker Bulbs - APR Carbonio Intake - APR Stage 1 Tuned - OEM R8 Coil Packs - OEM Porsche Coolant/Oil Caps - Black Wiper Fluid Cap - ECS Carbon Fiber Engine Cover - Bright Halogen Fog Light Bulbs - OEM Golf R Euro LED Tails (R20) - DeAuto Amber Front/Rear LED Turn Signals - DeAuto LED Reverse Lights
trev1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #42
steemax
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX Stage 2 ProTune
So I see that we're getting a mixed response here. Some say its amazing while some say it's terrible like I have.

I really don't want to have a laundry list of things to check off an do just to get a TAD bit cooler air. Either there is something wrong with my specific car or others haven't tried a GOOD A/C from a different make/model.

I think the best route for me is to go check a brand new 2014 out and see how it cools and then make a decision whether or not I have a faulty part somewhere. (I wouldn't mind, I bought bumper to bumper warranty to 80k miles or 8 years so I mind as well use it)
Instagram: Steamax
steemax is offline   Reply With Quote