GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Side Front Strut

RATFINK

Passed Driver's Ed
In the middle of installing my stock suspension and have read it's possible to install the struts without removing the axle. After several hours I don't see that being possible. Am I missing a trick for the drivers side?

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
leave the top of the strut bolted in and push or kick down on the brake assembly to pop the bottom loose. use a spring compressor if need be.

peterbg16

Ready to race!
What is your issue? if it is separating the last 1/4 inch of the strut body from the strut housing then try this install guide:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20986

It works like a charm and you don't have to touch the axles at all. It also drops out very easily. One nice thump on the brake disk with your foot and it's done.

I've done quite a few installs on Mk5 and more on Mk6s. Make sure the bottom of the strut carrier is open as much as it can be by your tool. What I use but don't recommend (but works every time) is a 2x4 w/ the floor jack under it, pushing up on the bottom of the lower spring mount and a light amount of weight on the hub (a person). If it still needs a little more, still using the spring + 2x4 idea but also have a piece of wood sitting on top of the outer wheel and a light duty sledge hammer, slowly tapping down wards on the piece of wood. A small amount of penetrating oil has also helped me on the point where the strut goes into the carrier.

Made this picture to illustrate it: http://imgur.com/6ggTABu

Just be careful since the shock/spring is under tension and load, move the brake line and sensor out of the way as best you can, and light tapping on the red shaded part w/ a decent heft hammer.

Done about 6 Mk6s like this and never has failed.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I've done quite a few installs on Mk5 and more on Mk6s. Make sure the bottom of the strut carrier is open as much as it can be by your tool. What I use but don't recommend (but works every time) is a 2x4 w/ the floor jack under it, pushing up on the bottom of the lower spring mount

I've done the install 50+ times and this has become my new method since it was the only way to do it on my old B7 Passat.

My quick DIY:

Front end on jackstands
Wheels off
Remove sway bar endlinks from both sides
Remove strut pinch bolt
Lube up base of strut with oil/WD40/etc
Insert strut spreader
Swift kick to the hub to break the strut free from the spindle
Remove lines/wires from their harnesses (for extra slack)
Use a 2x4' to jack the strut up & out of the spindle
Rotate hub forward slightly
Lower jack & 2x4' so it clears the spindle
Remove the 3x 13mm bolts that hold the strut to the tower
It's out of the car

Install is the reverse order except you need to jack the strut up & sort of "walk"/wiggle the base of the strut close to the spindle to get it back in. It's not hard, but it may or may not be a cake walk either.

Repeat for other side

PICS:

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Oh dang that looks scary... I do many diy but springs/struts I leave alone.:yikes:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Oh dang that looks scary... I do many diy but springs/struts I leave alone.:yikes:

It's not.

1. The strut can't go anywhere

2. There isn't that much tension/weight on the 2x4' either. I've done it 20 times like this no problem/issues

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
That makes sense now that I re-read everything because its still bolted on top... hmmm now I am digging the courage

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
another angle of thought

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Wow that 2x4 method does look scary.. but it's really just conquering that last couple millimeters to get it to pop out. And if you leave the top bolted in, it's not like it's flying anywhere anyways.

I've found taking off the 3 bolts of the lower control arm gives just a tad more room and it drops right out (because now it can rotate too). I've changed my suspension 4 times now and helped a few others and never pulled an axle bolt.

The 2x4 technique is dangerous. I have lost the strut trying to clear it free of the strut spindle. Remeber the 2x4 is pushing up on the spring on the strut assembly so the whole thing is now under a load and tension. The amount of compression your doing to get the strut high enough to clear out of the spindle is crazy.

Yes it does work but please be careful doing it this way. You could potentially knock the 2x4 lose and have the strut coming down onto your fingers at full force.

When i play w/ the spindle to get the bottom of the strut free, I use a plumbers pipe that I got at home depot that works great. It also doubles as a cheater bar/torque bar/breaker bar.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I've found taking off the 3 bolts of the lower control arm gives just a tad more room and it drops right out (because now it can rotate too).

That's how I used to do it, but a couple downsides/problems can occur:

1. With nothing holding the axle/hub in place anymore, it can fall out of transmission & then you can have some SERIOUS problems...read here:
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78515
2. You can stress/tear the outer CV joint (seen that happen a couple times)
3. You can snap the bolt/stud on the ball joint when tightening the LCA nut down (seen it happen)

IMO, leaving the ball joint in place leaves everything where it should be and keeps everything lined up (though an alignment is still needed)

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
^^ wow.. guess I lucked out!! Now i remember why I was scared to do my suspension the first time. So many horror stories!