GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY DSG Fluid change tips and tricks

zsm722

Ready to race!
I'm about to do this next weekend so thanks for the tips. Instead of monitoring in VAGCOM you can also use an IR thermometer and point it at the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0-60Motorsports

Since 1998
Excellent DIY and info here. Just a question, So after the DSG oil change if the temp is 45c or above in VAGCOM does that mean i have overfilled the DSG box? And have to drain it a bit as shown in the video? Thanks.

0-60Motorsports

Since 1998
Also, Is there a way to be sure about the amount of fluid actually needed even after we measure how much came out? I mean is there a way to tell the Box has the right amount of fluid required after filling up with new fluid. Thanks.

zrickety

The Fixer
I would say it's more important to drain and fill normally than to try a flush and measure temps, or even measure what comes out. What if the level was low or too high and you replicate it?? The fluid can be done at room temperature. Once the special piece is back in the drain, it won't come out until the level is full.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Guys this whole temperature issue is completely overblown...
Open up a factory filled room temp DSG and it will piss fluid, mine sure as hell did.

Once you refill it at room temperature, and you drain everything past the snorkle you will be LESS full than the factory fill.

If you get it up to 45C and drain then, you will be LESS full than even prior.

Frankly it doesn't fking matter. I have yet to hear of a factory car that wasn't "overfilled" and guess what nothing fking happened... these things have an emergency drain built into them anyways.

0-60Motorsports

Since 1998
I would say it's more important to drain and fill normally than to try a flush and measure temps, or even measure what comes out. What if the level was low or too high and you replicate it?? The fluid can be done at room temperature. Once the special piece is back in the drain, it won't come out until the level is full.

Guys this whole temperature issue is completely overblown...
Open up a factory filled room temp DSG and it will piss fluid, mine sure as hell did.

Once you refill it at room temperature, and you drain everything past the snorkle you will be LESS full than the factory fill.

If you get it up to 45C and drain then, you will be LESS full than even prior.

Frankly it doesn't fking matter. I have yet to hear of a factory car that wasn't "overfilled" and guess what nothing fking happened... these things have an emergency drain built into them anyways.

Thanks for your inputs gents. Was just trying to understand the process before I ask my tech to assist me to do this (So i can take pics). With the heat getting up to 122f yesterday I need to do this.......yesterday lol.

I'll update the thread once the parts and ol arrives.....Thank you again.

bigkielbasa

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got a long way to go to 40k (around 4200 now), but have been looking into how I'll handle the 40k DSG service. Just wanted to say how much I appreciate threads like this.

Sorry if this is off topic, but do you guys do your own work on the other required stuff at the 30k and 40k?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I've got a long way to go to 40k (around 4200 now), but have been looking into how I'll handle the 40k DSG service. Just wanted to say how much I appreciate threads like this.

Sorry if this is off topic, but do you guys do your own work on the other required stuff at the 30k and 40k?

What are you asking?

The DSG service is every 40k.

bigkielbasa

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry I wasn't clear.

I know a lot of guys have done the DSG service(s) themselves at 40 and 80k, mainly because of the high cost of having it done at the dealer. I guess my question was pertaining to all of the other maintenance intervals - do most of you guys do your own oil changes, plugs, filter changes, et cetera? Or do you pay the dealer/local trusted guy to do the less-expensive stuff?

zrickety

The Fixer
I do everything.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Sorry I wasn't clear.

I know a lot of guys have done the DSG service(s) themselves at 40 and 80k, mainly because of the high cost of having it done at the dealer. I guess my question was pertaining to all of the other maintenance intervals - do most of you guys do your own oil changes, plugs, filter changes, et cetera? Or do you pay the dealer/local trusted guy to do the less-expensive stuff?
All depends on dealer etc. I let the dealer do the oil changes because they are cheaper than the parts for my TDI.

zrickety

The Fixer
The manual cars are easier, with a dedicated fill plug at the max level.

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
HELP...i just changed the DSG fluid, and upon turning on the car, the check engine light is on. What happened? How can I fix this?

Last edited:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Do you have a way to see what the CEL is for? Are there any other lights on, such as a steering wheel symbol? It is common to have a steering wheel fault when disconnecting the battery -- that problem will go away after driving at a slow speed and turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock a few times to allow the car to relearn the steering wheel stops.