GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

deAutoKey Orange LED city lights review

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
First off let me thank deAutokey for getting these out to me so quickly to try out.

I've always liked the contrast of orange/amber city lights on CSG but really haven't found lights that are both bright and have a good color tone. So, I was quick to jump on the opportunity to test out the the new amber LED city lights from deAutoKey.

Since I had a few other sets I thought it would be a good idea to compare them so all of you could see the difference.

I had three sets but had forgotten that #3 (SMD 5 LED) didn't fit through the small hole in the housing so it isn't in the comparison. I have also seen some recently that are amber LED and have a projector but have not tried them out yet.

Sylvania - $5
13 SMD LED - $15
deAutoKey - $45

Let's get started!

The list: (forget number 3)

[deAutokey

I set my DSLR on a tripod and took all of the below pictures at the same exposure so that the comparison would be true.

Sylvania

13 LED

deAutoKey

Sylvania

13 LED

deAutoKey

My Impressions:

Photos never tell the whole story, but for sure deAutokey's are about 3 times brighter than the 13 LED and a huge difference over the incandescent Sylvania's. It is slightly hard to discern the brightness difference between the 13 LED and deAutokey in the close up's, but believe me that there is a significant difference in person.

Any disappointments? Maybe a little. I would have liked them to be a little darker or deeper orange, like the el-cheapo Sylvania's, but that's about it. They are a bit pricey too, but I guess you get what you pay for. They are LED's so one won't have to worry about them burning out and as long as the circuit boards hold up they should last the lifetime of the car.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
It's fairly apparent how much brighter the DeAutokeys are than the 13 LEDs if you look at the reflection on the rest of the housing. Unfortunately your DSLR has really great metering..

butchered by autocorrecr

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
These are suppose to be amber which is a mix between yellow and orange, that is a euro spec color and the reason is because it catches the eye better than a deep orange or bright yellow. When looking at the photos, we have to say we like the color of our LEDs vs the other ones.

And yes, these are going to be no doubt brighter than any other LED on the market. These are the highest graded Golden Dragon Chip Set by OSRAM. A bit more, but you can tell a difference as soon as you install these LEDs.

You can purchase them now:
http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-gti-golf-osram-city-lights-error-free-plug-play

finklejag

Ready to race!
Thanks for the great review. Can you take a pic with the headlights on? I want to see the amber against the low beam.

:thanks:

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion

Holy crap I have a lot of stone chips in my headlight cover.

Last edited:

finklejag

Ready to race!
Thanks for the updated shots. I just placed my order.

I really like the contrast look of the amber in the headlights.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Thanks for the updated shots. I just placed my order.

I really like the contrast look of the amber in the headlights.

Order placed!

Thanks for the orders, they have all shipped.

We have a small batch only and they are going quickly. Get them while you can.
-Brightest Amber color on the market
-Euro Look
-Sleek
-error free / Plug & Play

Thank you

finklejag

Ready to race!
First day with the led's and got a bulb out error. I have turned off my DRL's. Would this cause the led error?

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
First day with the led's and got a bulb out error. I have turned off my DRL's. Would this cause the led error?

Sorry to hear that. But, if you mod your car in anyway with VCDs these LEDs will cause an error.
A few things:
1. Your headlights need to be OEM factory installed, if you use aftermarket bi-xenon, these will not work and cause errors
2. You cannot modify your headlights, IE turn off your DRLs, it will trigger an error

Please let us know if you reset back to factory settings if it will work.

Thank you:thumbsup:

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I turned off my DRL 4 1/2 years ago. Your website page doesn't have a disclaimer about the Bi-Xenon having to be factory and have no vagcom changes to them for the LED bulbs to work without an error. Oh well.

http://deautokey.com/product/mk6-gti-golf-osram-city-lights-error-free-plug-play

Sorry, you can return these for a full refund, or we can get you outside resistors to see if that works. We have replied to your email also, so you can let us know what you'd like to do and we can fix this for you today.

We are not 100% sure if the resistors will work as we never tested them on your model, but they work in all other VW models. They are a plug and play resistor and no wire taping is needed.

We will update the website to reflect those two issues, if you do not want to reset your headlights to factory, the options above will be the only solution.

Thank you

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
Just to be clear, I have modified my VCDS. I have a euro switch and since I have used LED's as city lights before I changed a setting in VAG-COM to allow for the lower voltage LED's. I received no errors when I installed the DeAutoKey city lights.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Just to be clear, I have modified my VCDS. I have a euro switch and since I have used LED's as city lights before I changed a setting in VAG-COM to allow for the lower voltage LED's. I received no errors when I installed the DeAutoKey city lights.

:thumbsup: That is great info we did not know!We want our customers to enjoy our LEDs error free so it is good to know this, with the tricky VW electronics, some things we cannot see happening until the item is actually installed.

Thank you

mkegti37

Ready to race!
I got these coming in white color - I notice my stock DRL dims when the Xenons get turned on. Will this have an adverse effect on the LED DRLs? Will the LED also dim?