GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #43
m3bs
Autocross Newbie
 
Drives: 2012 GTI, 95 M3 S54
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Augusta, SC
Posts: 85
CMP is killer on brakes. I wouldn't even try it on stock VW pads. Just one of several reasons I quit going to CMP.
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #44
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion
 
ncsugray90's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 919
I guess I'll find out as I won't have time to upgrade my pads before the event. I was told by my friend who is my instructor and drives an mk5, that one session should be fine. Plus I'm HPDE 1, so I'm not going to be pushing my car nearly as hard as people in the upper levels. I will definitely have dedicated track pads before my next event though


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
UNI Stage 1+ | H&R SS Springs | 35% Tint | GFB DV+ | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Plates
ncsugray90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #45
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion
 
ncsugray90's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 919
Finally had my first track day in the GTI, and I must say, I was impressed.

The car handled great, had enough power to get me down the straights, but not so much to make throttle modulation during turns a pain, and was very predictable and easy to recover.

I will say, while the stock brakes did OK, I would absolutely recommend replacing them before doing anything on a track. I had fade at the end of nearly all my sessions, and actually had them on fire when I came in from a session without a cool down lap. So definitely replace those. (m3bs, feel free to say I told you so)

Here is a vid from my 2nd session on day one. I got much faster in the third session and through the next day, as I drove the first few session almost exclusively in fourth, to focus more on my line than on shifting. Enjoy:




I will be posting another video of the weekends highlights, but that will take a bit of time to edit, compile, and upload
__________________
UNI Stage 1+ | H&R SS Springs | 35% Tint | GFB DV+ | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Plates

Last edited by ncsugray90; 06-05-2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: words
ncsugray90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #46
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion
 
deep.mit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsugray90 View Post
Finally had my first track day in the GTI, and I must say, I was impressed.

The car handled great, had enough power to get me down the straights, but not so much to make modulation during turns a pain, and was very predictable ad easy to recover.

I will say, while the stock brakes did OK, I would absolutely recommend replacing them before doing 2b]anything on a track. I had fade at the end of nearly all my sessions, and actually had them on fire when I came in from a session without a cool down lap. So definitely replace those.

Here is a vid from my 3rd session on day one. I got much faster in the third session and through the next day, as I drove the first few session almost exclusively in fourth, to focus more on my line than on shifting. Enjoy:




I will be posting another video of the day s highlights, but that will take a bit of time to edit, compile, and upload
Way to go! Good work with the cam as well You got your own Go-Pro?
__________________


My Build Thread
Instagram
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #47
GoodTimesIndeed
Formula 5000 Champion
 
GoodTimesIndeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 2Dr DSG
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Edgewood, MD
Posts: 2,008
Cool video! Sounded like you were having a blast. Neat that your friend is also your instructor.
__________________
APR K04 / DP w/m injection / Custom Intake / Eurojet turboback / Neuspeed FMIC / IC sprayer / FSB-RSB / Endlinks / 034 Mounts / HPA 75A / AWE TOP / BSH TBP / ECS Catch Can / Solo Werks / Centric rotors / StopTech pads / Tyrolsport / Powerflex Bushings & A.L.K. / Stern Brace / Eurosport Strut Brace & Rear XB / TCR-II System / Misc Interior & Exterior Mods / Build Thread / My flickr
GoodTimesIndeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #48
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion
 
ncsugray90's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep.mit View Post
Way to go! Good work with the cam as well You got your own Go-Pro?
the GoPro filming the track is mine, the one filming us is my roommate's. I actually got the idea for the setup from /Drive videos on youtube. Matt Ferah has been doing one take videos in a similar format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimesIndeed View Post
Cool video! Sounded like you were having a blast. Neat that your friend is also your instructor.
It's pretty handy, he's been doing this since he was 16 from what I can remember, and he drives an MK5, so definitely a good fit.
__________________
UNI Stage 1+ | H&R SS Springs | 35% Tint | GFB DV+ | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Plates
ncsugray90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #49
deep.mit
FIA GT Champion
 
deep.mit's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GTI 6MT 2dr
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsugray90 View Post
the GoPro filming the track is mine, the one filming us is my roommate's. I actually got the idea for the setup from /Drive videos on youtube. Matt Ferah has been doing one take videos in a similar format.
Cool, great job! Looking fwd to more like this
__________________


My Build Thread
Instagram
deep.mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:36 AM   #50
barnes93cb
Formula 5000 Champion
 
barnes93cb's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 BMP 2Dr DSG GTI
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,181
Awesome video. Im am excited to try and get out there one of these days. I still need to upgrade my brakes per your advices. Being stage 2 I doubt my car would like me killing the brakes.

How was running in fourth? Was it that much easier to work on your lines?
__________________
APR Stage 2 / CTS Intake / Twintercooler / Godspeed Downpipe / MagnaFlow Catback / H&R Springs
APR Stage 2/ Lowered Build Thread
Instagram: barnes93_vw
barnes93cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #51
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion
 
ncsugray90's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep.mit View Post
Cool, great job! Looking fwd to more like this
Thanks! I'm working on putting together a highlights vid this afternoon that involves me passing 5.0's and getting it loose a couple of times, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes93cb View Post
Awesome video. Im am excited to try and get out there one of these days. I still need to upgrade my brakes per your advices. Being stage 2 I doubt my car would like me killing the brakes.

How was running in fourth? Was it that much easier to work on your lines?
Absoutely upgrade the brakes. My instructor recommended Hawk HP+ fronts and HPS rears to help keep the rear from getting squirrely on hard braking. The less aggressive compound should effectively give more front brake bias.

Running in fourth helped a good bit, because I hadn't learned to heel toe yet, and screwing up my downshifts had me frustrated and messed my line into the corner up, which ruined the line for the majority of the corner. I ran 4th only for just that session, and was shifting for the rest of them.
__________________
UNI Stage 1+ | H&R SS Springs | 35% Tint | GFB DV+ | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Plates
ncsugray90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:21 AM   #52
barnes93cb
Formula 5000 Champion
 
barnes93cb's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 BMP 2Dr DSG GTI
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsugray90 View Post
Absoutely upgrade the brakes. My instructor recommended Hawk HP+ fronts and HPS rears to help keep the rear from getting squirrely on hard braking. The less aggressive compound should effectively give more front brake bias.

Running in fourth helped a good bit, because I hadn't learned to heel toe yet, and screwing up my downshifts had me frustrated and messed my line into the corner up, which ruined the line for the majority of the corner. I ran 4th only for just that session, and was shifting for the rest of them.
Yea I could see the rear end coming out a little once or twice. As far as the heel toe. I dont have to worry ive got the DSG. I am even more anxious to get out there for a day now that ive seen your video. The two camera setup was a great idea. When is the next time you are planning to head out to cmp?
__________________
APR Stage 2 / CTS Intake / Twintercooler / Godspeed Downpipe / MagnaFlow Catback / H&R Springs
APR Stage 2/ Lowered Build Thread
Instagram: barnes93_vw
barnes93cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #53
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion
 
ncsugray90's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes93cb View Post
Yea I could see the rear end coming out a little once or twice. As far as the heel toe. I dont have to worry ive got the DSG. I am even more anxious to get out there for a day now that ive seen your video. The two camera setup was a great idea. When is the next time you are planning to head out to cmp?
Probably not anytime soon. The weekend cost $350 after membership dues for the year, and while thats not SUPER expensive, its a bit much to do very often. Plus, the brakes I want are about $250 to go all around, and I spent well over $100 on gas and food for the weekend. Right now my next planned event is in October, but its at VIR. That should give me time to get new brakes and a track set of wheels and tires (cheap light Sparcos and Federal 595RSR's). You should definitely do the VIR event, the guys I plan on going with are all planning on camping out in the paddock and grilling out all weekend, should be a blast!
__________________
UNI Stage 1+ | H&R SS Springs | 35% Tint | GFB DV+ | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Plates
ncsugray90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #54
barnes93cb
Formula 5000 Champion
 
barnes93cb's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 BMP 2Dr DSG GTI
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsugray90 View Post
Probably not anytime soon. The weekend cost $350 after membership dues for the year, and while thats not SUPER expensive, its a bit much to do very often. Plus, the brakes I want are about $250 to go all around, and I spent well over $100 on gas and food for the weekend. Right now my next planned event is in October, but its at VIR. That should give me time to get new brakes and a track set of wheels and tires (cheap light Sparcos and Federal 595RSR's). You should definitely do the VIR event, the guys I plan on going with are all planning on camping out in the paddock and grilling out all weekend, should be a blast!

Yea I wouldn't expect you to go often. It does seem quite expensive. I would be down for the VIR event. But I'll be deployed at that time. I wish I had gone to this event looking back now.


Sent from my damn iPhone.
__________________
APR Stage 2 / CTS Intake / Twintercooler / Godspeed Downpipe / MagnaFlow Catback / H&R Springs
APR Stage 2/ Lowered Build Thread
Instagram: barnes93_vw
barnes93cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #55
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion
 
ncsugray90's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes93cb View Post
Yea I wouldn't expect you to go often. It does seem quite expensive. I would be down for the VIR event. But I'll be deployed at that time. I wish I had gone to this event looking back now.


Sent from my damn iPhone.
Gotcha. Hindsight is always 20:20 though. When are you getting sent out? Depending on how tax returns and quarterly bonuses pan out I may be able to fit one more in before October.

You should definitely check NASA Sooutheast and Mid-Atlantic websites to see what events they have near you before you head out. It didn't change what I wanted to do with my car so much, but it definitely moved some priorities around as far as order of mods.
__________________
UNI Stage 1+ | H&R SS Springs | 35% Tint | GFB DV+ | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Plates
ncsugray90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #56
ncsugray90
FIA GT Champion
 
ncsugray90's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 GTI 2 door 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 919
Quick highlight reel from the weekend, didn't put most of my passes in there, as that would have made the video about 3x as long (/modesty)

__________________
UNI Stage 1+ | H&R SS Springs | 35% Tint | GFB DV+ | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Plates
ncsugray90 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.