GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
///809
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI 4dr
CEL for misfires = carbon buildup ?

Hey Peeps..

Wondering if anyone could chime in and see if all this adds up.

So Friday evening my girl is driving the car and the CEL comes on. Saturday morning I swing by an indy and when they check the errors the car is throwing are misfires on 3 of 4 cylinders.

The manager first tells me that It could be the coil pack, but if it was it might be a specific cylinder and not 3 of them. So he says the next cause of this can be the carbon buildup.

Can anyone confirm ?

And if so, he estimated around $370 to clean it.

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any input.
///809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
speedster
FIA GT Champion

Drives: GTI MKVI
For $370 they won't be doing a real clean, probably just spraying some product into the intake. Might get you by for a while but sooner or later you're going to need a real clean ($700+).

How many miles do you have?

You could get a cheap USB borescope on eBay for $20 and feed it down the temp sensor hole on the air intake and see how much buildup there is.
Build Thread CW GTI MKVI - APR K04, Downpipe, CAI, DSG Tune - Wagner Intercooler - Magnaflow Exhaust - H&R Swaybars and Coilovers + Swift Custom Springs - GC Camber Plates - Unibrace UB + XB - Nurburgring Wheels
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
swap the coilpacks and see if the misfire follows it. or replace them with redtops because you will be down the road anyway. if it's still bad check your plugs. i have yet to hear of anyone confirming that their misfires were due to carbon buildup, though it could happen.
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
sean@apr

Drives: Q7 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
swap the coilpacks and see if the misfire follows it. or replace them with redtops because you will be down the road anyway. if it's still bad check your plugs. i have yet to hear of anyone confirming that their misfires were due to carbon buildup, though it could happen.
This.
sean@apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
///809
Go Kart Newbie

@speedster - He mentioned removing it from the engine and cleaning it, but if avg price is about 700+ then you might be right.

@kern417 Thanks, that was my first assumption I just wanted to run what he told me to see if someone had heard of it. He cleared the codes I believe, or atleast the CEL is not there anymore. Should I replace w/ redtops and just wait to see if it comes back on?

Or should It still throw the code if the problem persist? (even if the CEL light is off)
Old 07-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Jerseynoob
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
carbon build up can give you a rough idle, which new plugs, and coils won't fix.....at least that was my experience....got 70k miles before I needed a cleaning.
Jerseynoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
///809
Go Kart Newbie

oh and i'm only @ 45k FYI..
Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
speedster
FIA GT Champion

Drives: GTI MKVI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///809 View Post
@speedster - He mentioned removing it from the engine and cleaning it, but if avg price is about 700+ then you might be right.

@kern417 Thanks, that was my first assumption I just wanted to run what he told me to see if someone had heard of it. He cleared the codes I believe, or atleast the CEL is not there anymore. Should I replace w/ redtops and just wait to see if it comes back on?

Or should It still throw the code if the problem persist? (even if the CEL light is off)
You can't remove the valves without disassembling the entire engine. Maybe he meant he's is going to remove the intake manifold?

45k is right. I had it at 50k and they were crazily dirty.

Build Thread CW GTI MKVI - APR K04, Downpipe, CAI, DSG Tune - Wagner Intercooler - Magnaflow Exhaust - H&R Swaybars and Coilovers + Swift Custom Springs - GC Camber Plates - Unibrace UB + XB - Nurburgring Wheels
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Another cause for misfires is a faulty MAP sensor FYI.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is online now   Reply With Quote