GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Built, Big Turbo (3076) GTI from SoCal

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Built Big Turbo (3076) GTI from SoCal

I figured I’d make a new thread for the second coming of my GTI, the old thread can be found here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53717

Back in early May my GTI started idling rough and stalling occasionally after a track event at Willow Springs. At first I thought it was a minor issue but about a month later the motor seized up and left me stranded on the side of the road at 1am. After some expensive tow truck fees and a few days of waiting in suspense AU Tuning gave me a call to let me know the long block was toast. What happened was the notorious oil starvation issue during turn nine on Big Willow. I saw the light, slowed down and pulled over but at that point it was already too late. It took less than two seconds for my GTI to become a ticking time bomb.

Now I was left at a crossroads. I could a) part out the car, get a junkyard motor, sell it for cheap and walk away from the whole situation or b) get a junkyard motor, build it, throw a big turbo on it and keep the car until it dies. In my mind the only way I would keep this thing is if it was able to make big power on pump and not break down every other day. Basically, it was between keeping the GTI and getting an n54 135i, evo, or other more capable platform. After a few days I came to the conclusion that it would make more sense financially and time wise to build the GTI and keep it since I was already so heavily invested in it. This decision was made under the assumption that nothing really major would go wrong, so it was essentially a dice roll.

The next day the hunt for a motor & parts began. I called up AU and ordered IE rifle drilled rods, ACL calico coated race bearings, a SB stage 3 endurance clutch, and an ATP GT3076R-WG. I also bought a Wavetrac LSD, ARP LSD hardware kit, ARP head studs, ARP cam tower bolts, LNF injectors, and an APR LPFP along with some other random goodies. A few weeks before the motor went I had installed an AEM Failsafe device, V2 controller and drilled the manifold for direct port water meth injection. After days of tweaking and rewiring I got the system to work flawlessly but unfortunately, I didn't really get to experience it because the motor took a shit shortly after. I had every piece of the puzzle, now all I needed was a motor. Kern417 sent me a PM with an awesome deal on a long block with 60k on it (My car had 40k at the time). The deal was too good to pass up so I jumped on it and a week later the build was underway.

The new motor looked great on the inside and the engine build went smoothly. They cleaned the valves & piston rings before everything went back together and by the time I was back in the states the car was running, dyno tuned (Eurodyne) and ready to be picked up. There were a few hiccups along the way but as always, Dave was able to figure everything out. The GT3076R-WG with a .64 A/R turbine housing is smooth and strong at low speeds and an absolute animal in the top end. Spool is totally manageable for a daily driver and it sounds incredible as well. Right now it's at ~420whp on a relatively conservative tune while everything breaks in. With 245/40r17 PSS and an LSD 2nd gear is actually very usable. The late boost onset and smooth powerband help a LOT with traction, it still spins a little bit but pulls very hard then third gear completely hooks up. The car actually hooks up better than it did with the F23T which made way less power and torque. MPG wise I get 26-31 with a mix of ~35/65 city/highway depending on how I drive. There are still a few minor things I have to sort out before it’s perfect; the o-ring on the DV+ piston is half missing and the short shifter is all messed up. Besides that, all is well. I’ll be posting dyno results once I take it back in for another tune and eventually shoot for ~500whp on pump & meth with a 5th injector.

So far I have no regrets, it hasn't passed the test of time though so I guess I’ll see. As of now I have faith in it. The car feels fantastic, AU did an amazing job on everything and there's no doubt in my mind this thing would've been gone a long time ago if it wasn’t for them.

Anyways, on to the mod list:

Engine
ATP GT3076R-WG .64 A/R Turbine Housing
Custom Eurodyne Big Turbo Software (Dyno Tuned @ AU Tuning)
Integrated Engineering Rifle Drilled Connecting Rods
ACL Calico Coated Rod Bearings
ARP Head Studs
ARP Cam Tower Bolts
GM LNF Injectors
APR LPFP
AEM V2 Water/Methanol Injection Controller
AEM Failsafe Device
USRT DPI (Four Snow 60cc/min Nozzles)
Snow Performance 225cc/min Post Intercooler
BSH Integrated Throttle Body Pipe
ATP DV Relocation
Synapse Synchronic Diverter Valve
GrimmSpeed MBC Parallel to N75
SPM Engine, Transmission, and Pendulum Mount
HPA 75a Interlock Mount
Godspeed V2 Intercooler
Neuspeed Audi TT Turbo Outlet Pipe
42dd Catless Downpipe
SPM CBE
Unitronic Intake
ATP Turbo Inlet & Outlet Piping
R8 Coilpacks
NGK Plugs @ .026

Transmission
South Bend Stage III Endurance
Wavetrac LSD
Dieselgeek Sigma 6
Shortened Shifter Shaft

Wheels/Suspension
Enkei PF01 17x8 +50
Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/40r17
Hotchkis 27mm RSB (Stiff)
Hotchkis 27mm FSB (Medium)
Koni Coilovers
Superpro ALK

Brakes

Stoptech 328mm Big Brake Kit
Stoptech Street Pads
Hawk HPS Rear Pads
ECS Stainless Steel Rear Lines

Exterior/Interior
Ed's led headlights
USP 6000k hid kit
Ed's Dark Cherry LED Tail Lights
Color Matched Side Markers
Rear Wiper Delete
OEM Golf Grille
AEM 1000cc/min Failsafe Gauge in Newsouth Vent Pod
Newsouth Steering Column Boost Gauge
Color Matched Side Markers
OEM Front Lip

Broken
APR K04
Carbonio Stage 2 Pipe
Aspec TOP
Transmission (Replaced w/ EOS trans +10k miles)
Engine (Replaced w/ TSI w/ 60k)
Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
AEM Flow Sensor (Replaced courtesy of AEM)

Removed
Frankenturbo F23T
Carbonio Stage 1 Intake
Custom BSH Intake
Coolingmist W/M kit
GFB DV+
HKS SSQV Recirculation Setup
GIAC K04 Software
OE Tuning Custom IHI and K04 Software
Matte Black VMR v701 18x8.5 et45

The day I got it back:

Some parts & random pics:

I have more pics on my computer that I’ll upload when I get a chance. More updates on the build coming soon :)

Cheers,

Andre

Last edited:

pingfr

Passed Driver's Ed
Congrats on the back-to-life GTI Andre, can't wait to see the dyno sheet. Btw I'm really enjoying your F23T :)

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Awesome return, sub'd :thumbsup:

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Finally! I've been waiting for this day.
Nice build man, glad to see the car back on it's feet stronger than ever.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Congrats on the back-to-life GTI Andre, can't wait to see the dyno sheet. Btw I'm really enjoying your F23T :)
Thanks buddy. Glad you're enjoying the f23t, it's a fun turbo :)
Awesome return, sub'd :thumbsup:
:w00t:
Finally! I've been waiting for this day.
Nice build man, glad to see the car back on it's feet stronger than ever.
Hah, me too. It's been a long time coming.
Any reason you decided against the OPS?
I'm not going back to the track with this car anytime soon. There's no doubt in my mind I'll get one if I do. For now an extra 1/2 quart to play it safe is good enough.

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
Good to see this build back on track. I was wondering what happened and thought you moved on to something else. Sweet car as always

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Whoa man. This is awesome. It's quite a journey, but I'm glad you've got it close to sorted. I'm glad the brakes held up at least :). I'd love to see that thing in person at some point.

Have you had to deal with ATP for anything after the purchase? There aren't many big turbo fiestas around yet and I'm not psyched about being a guinea pig, but they have a GTX2860 kit that is pretty tempting. They're making 300/300 with a mild tune on stock internals and injectors, and that's right where I want to be.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Good to see this build back on track. I was wondering what happened and thought you moved on to something else. Sweet car as always
Thank you. Good to be back :)

Whoa man. This is awesome. It's quite a journey, but I'm glad you've got it close to sorted. I'm glad the brakes held up at least :). I'd love to see that thing in person at some point.

Have you had to deal with ATP for anything after the purchase? There aren't many big turbo fiestas around yet and I'm not psyched about being a guinea pig, but they have a GTX2860 kit that is pretty tempting. They're making 300/300 with a mild tune on stock internals and injectors, and that's right where I want to be.
Yea, quite a journey indeed. It's been wild. Never thought it would go this far; one thing led to another and it all just sort of happened. I'm very happy with this car though, it feels awesome on the road even though I'm still trying to get a few hardware gremlins sorted. You should definitely come by and check it out. I didn't even realize you were still lurking around this forum. Also didn't know that you got rid of the evo for a fiesta st. Definitely a more practical car and 300/300 would be a lot of fun in that little thing. If you're fairly confident that it's safe I say do it. In my experience with ATP their customer service was always on point, I didn't have to deal with them afterwards though. Everything in that kit looks pretty straight forward to me. My only concern would be software.

Jcarollo765

Ready to race!
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD :eek:

drepai

Go Kart Champion
^Thanks guys :)

Turns out my DV+ has been leaking ever since I went big turbo. Yesterday I finally got around to replacing it with a synapse synchronic DV.

Took it for a drive and noticed everything you'd expect: quicker spool, better transient response and more boost. WAY more boost. On the first run it hit 28 pounds then I let off. It felt absolutely insane but I'm not going to open it up again until I get it back on the dyno next Saturday for some tuning. I'm surprised it made over 420whp with a leak that big.

Also emailed GFB about the DV+ and a new one was on it's way moments after I sent the pics. Their customer service is fantastic.