GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #15
Utah Beast Mode
Touring Car Champion
 
Utah Beast Mode's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 CW MK6 GTI - DSG WOLF
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
Just stick it back in and put some silicone around it to hold it there. There'e enough room, you just have to space to radiator back with some washers. You can even keep it tight by using less washers and use the intercooler to kind of hold it in place. I found a PN# for the sensor itself, but nobody sells it anymore. It's supposed to be a one use thing as a set with the radiator. I've read about them being brazed into the radiator, but our's has clips and seems to be easily removable so I doubt ours is brazed/soldered in.
Well I tell you that this is creating a headache! Lol. Just talked to VW and they said the Sensor comes on the Radiator which cost like $400-$500. Helll NO! Lol. I broke the plastic clips off my sensor, but what you're saying is that it will still work if I attached it back on with some high temp adhesive?

Also, just called SPM to figure this all out. As the intercooler is NOT a direct fit with the CBFA engine. So this is a whole other issue I'm trying to deal with.
__________________
2014 CW DSG GTI
Traded in 2012 Civic Si..Traded in 2005 BMW 3 Series..Traded in 2002 Subaru WRX..Traded in 1996 Acura GSR

Utah Beast Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #16
2013R
FIA Formula 1 Champion
 
2013R's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Subaru WRX
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 10,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Beast Mode View Post
Just talked to VW and they said the Sensor comes on the Radiator which cost like $400-$500.
correct..

The temperature sensor is made of cast polyurethane
resin and is non-removable once attached. If, however, an
attempt is made to remove the temperature sensor, the
sensor spigot will break away from the housing causing
it to become irreparably damaged, both electrically and
mechanically.
__________________
2015 Subaru WRX - Stage 2+ w E85
2015 Subaru Forester XT
LastHumansGarage
2013R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #17
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013R View Post
correct..

The temperature sensor is made of cast polyurethane
resin and is non-removable once attached. If, however, an
attempt is made to remove the temperature sensor, the
sensor spigot will break away from the housing causing
it to become irreparably damaged, both electrically and
mechanically.
As much as I've read this, the guy on the other thread just re-installed his and the light hasn't come back on. And that thread is a few months old.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #18
Utah Beast Mode
Touring Car Champion
 
Utah Beast Mode's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 CW MK6 GTI - DSG WOLF
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 219
I'll keep you guys posted on how I resolve this Ozone Sensor CEL issue. SPM is being cool and we are working on how to solve this. There has to be a workaround for that freaking sensor.
__________________
2014 CW DSG GTI
Traded in 2012 Civic Si..Traded in 2005 BMW 3 Series..Traded in 2002 Subaru WRX..Traded in 1996 Acura GSR

Utah Beast Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #19
ka_killuh
Touring Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2013 CSG GTI Autobahn
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BMore, MD
Posts: 175
Anyone with this sensor running a Neuspeed throttle body pipe? I installed an APR intercooler tonight and spaced the radiator back to fit. When I installed the bigger pipe, it was rubbing on the radiator fan just a little. I figure when the engine rocks under acceleration it will probably hit pretty hard though. I put the stock pipe back in to get the car home and it fits fine, plenty of room.
ka_killuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
Bcon
Oval Newbie
 
Bcon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI 4dr CW DSG CBFA
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
As much as I've read this, the guy on the other thread just re-installed his and the light hasn't come back on. And that thread is a few months old.
I'm that guy. I took it out and zip tied it aside - CEL thrown, I cleared it, CEL thrown again.

So, I put it back, spaced the IC back a bit for clearance - no CEL, ever (and it's been quite a while).

Yes, the plastic clips break when you remove it. But, it fit in snugly when I put it back. I didn't use adhesive, and it hasn't moved.


My thought is (and I can't confirm this at all), it's a temperature sensor. I have no idea if it works by resistance or some other method. I think it senses the radiator temperature and references something else, like the coolant temp. If they don't jive, it assumes it's been tampered with and throws a code.

As for a simple fix (like a resistor) - that depends on how "smart" the coding is. It could easily be coded to not be "fooled" by a constant hot signal, and therefore not fooled by a resistor. However, that's pure speculation on my part........

In the end, putting it back worked, so I'm not messing with it any further.
__________________
APR K04, APR v3.1 Tune, APR DSG Tune, APR Downpipe, APR Intercooler, BSH Intake, R8 Coilpacks, Koni Coilovers, Neuspeed RSe12 Wheels, Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads
Bcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #21
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcon View Post
I'm that guy. I took it out and zip tied it aside - CEL thrown, I cleared it, CEL thrown again.

So, I put it back, spaced the IC back a bit for clearance - no CEL, ever (and it's been quite a while).

Yes, the plastic clips break when you remove it. But, it fit in snugly when I put it back. I didn't use adhesive, and it hasn't moved.


My thought is (and I can't confirm this at all), it's a temperature sensor. I have no idea if it works by resistance or some other method. I think it senses the radiator temperature and references something else, like the coolant temp. If they don't jive, it assumes it's been tampered with and throws a code.

As for a simple fix (like a resistor) - that depends on how "smart" the coding is. It could easily be coded to not be "fooled" by a constant hot signal, and therefore not fooled by a resistor. However, that's pure speculation on my part........

In the end, putting it back worked, so I'm not messing with it any further.
Nice! Pretty sure mine is beat. It's been in for a while, aka since 2011, being smashed by the intercooler. Just spaced it back a few weeks ago when I started getting the codes. It did stay off for a while but now it came back again. I'm going to dig more into it at some point, but since it usually stays away in the winter I'm just leaving it along for now.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #22
rossman869
Ready to race!
 
Drives: 2011 GTI MkVI Black 6 spd snrf/nav
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Posts: 18
Same issue here. Dealer has now replaced radiator 4 times under warranty because of this sensor. They have involved regional tech support and I called VWoA the last time. After 6 months, light came on again last week and has now shut off 5 days later. When I checked the reason, it was the sensor again! So frustrated. The dealer's mechanic who has worked for VW for 16 years and is a GTI enthusiast himself is at a loss. He suggests asking them to buy back my baby! Anyone gone down that path before??
rossman869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #23
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,939
I haven't had mine come on in a while. After clearing the codes every time I got a CEL, I got pissed and just left it on. A few days later the CEL shut itself off (code still stored in vag-com, but no CEL) and it hasen't came back yet. I'm totally fine with this and am just rolling with it. As long as the car runs fine and I have no CEl I'm happy.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #24
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver
 
XGC75's Avatar
 
Drives: into shit
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Michigan
Posts: 9,350
I have a '12 CBFA manufactured 11/2011. I don't have this sensor. Whatever it is, there MUST be a way to code it in or out.
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #25
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
I have a '12 CBFA manufactured 11/2011. I don't have this sensor. Whatever it is, there MUST be a way to code it in or out.
I'm sure there is. I talked to a friend that works for one of the tuning companies and he said they won't do it because it's an emissions device. Which doesn't make sense since it's the same place that gets rid of the light for the cat, but who knows.

Either way, it seems like if you leave the light on it turns itself off after a few days and stays off. That's good enough for me.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:37 AM   #26
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie
 
Stinger's Avatar
 
Drives: stick 4d CSG '11 Mk6
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 877
This fkg sensor is getting on my nerves... Just had a cel, took it to VW and learned the sensor is fried and it, as well as the radiator, need to be replaced.

It's all under warranty still, so not too much of an issue. But this is the 3rd sensor/radiator being replaced, the last one was only 3 months ago! WTF?!?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what causes repeated sensor failures? I'm getting a little paranoid that my stage 1 or other mod is an active contributor... btw, my water pump was also replaced twice... and my manifold once, and my fuel pump...
__________________
APR Stage 1 (V2.1)::RSR-like clutch::Magnaflow catback::Sigma 6 SS::Bilstein B14 PSS::H&R 26mm fsb, 22mm rsb::Tyrol sub frame kit and front brake stiffener kit::UB UNIbrace::R8 coilpacks::LED taillights::Michelin PSS 235/45 on JNC 17x8 et30::
Audio - Eonon GA5153F::Focal Integration Plug & Play::JL Stealthbox 10TW3::JL XD 700/5 amp
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #27
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
This fkg sensor is getting on my nerves... Just had a cel, took it to VW and learned the sensor is fried and it, as well as the radiator, need to be replaced.

It's all under warranty still, so not too much of an issue. But this is the 3rd sensor/radiator being replaced, the last one was only 3 months ago! WTF?!?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what causes repeated sensor failures? I'm getting a little paranoid that my stage 1 or other mod is an active contributor... btw, my water pump was also replaced twice... and my manifold once, and my fuel pump...
Stock intercooler? I would get it fixed again if it's under warranty. If not, leave the light on and it will go out itself and not come back.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #28
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie
 
Stinger's Avatar
 
Drives: stick 4d CSG '11 Mk6
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
Stock intercooler? I would get it fixed again if it's under warranty. If not, leave the light on and it will go out itself and not come back.
Sounds like a good solution. I suppose I will see the temp rise if the issue was not just the sensor...
__________________
APR Stage 1 (V2.1)::RSR-like clutch::Magnaflow catback::Sigma 6 SS::Bilstein B14 PSS::H&R 26mm fsb, 22mm rsb::Tyrol sub frame kit and front brake stiffener kit::UB UNIbrace::R8 coilpacks::LED taillights::Michelin PSS 235/45 on JNC 17x8 et30::
Audio - Eonon GA5153F::Focal Integration Plug & Play::JL Stealthbox 10TW3::JL XD 700/5 amp
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.