GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
Vic@APR

Drives: 2013 Golf R
One of our customers Donald p has over 75K on his...still modding it daily
Vic@APR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
MKV Aaron
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf R
These always turn into randoms posting mileage...

As stated, the highest that I've heard about was in the 80s.
MKV Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
Eddy403
Ready to race!

Drives: 2013 Golf R rising blue
For folks with mileage over 60k - have you had to change the spark plugs and/or coil packs? What condition were the spark plugs if you have changed them and were you stage 1/2 or stock?

I've been running APR 91 since basically new and right now I'm at 37k miles - thinking its time to do the plugs/coil packs just to stay ahead of the maintenance since stage 1 demands more out of the factory hardware. The cam follower is on the list as well

2013 Golf R
Instagram: @mrvwguy
Eddy403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:47 AM   #18
UGTSI
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: R
I'm at 12k
UGTSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #19
Bozz
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 R, 94 Explorer, 80 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy403 View Post
For folks with mileage over 60k - have you had to change the spark plugs and/or coil packs? What condition were the spark plugs if you have changed them and were you stage 1/2 or stock?

I've been running APR 91 since basically new and right now I'm at 37k miles - thinking its time to do the plugs/coil packs just to stay ahead of the maintenance since stage 1 demands more out of the factory hardware. The cam follower is on the list as well
You should change your cam follower immediately. 37k even on a stock pump is too long.

Just last week, either here or on vortex, there was a guy who ran his stock-engined follower to 47,000 miles, and it destroyed his engine...cam...valves...head...pump...all of it. Luckily, he got a new replacement engine from VW, but don't count on being that lucky.
Bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #20
boost pls
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozz View Post
You should change your cam follower immediately. 37k even on a stock pump is too long.

Just last week, either here or on vortex, there was a guy who ran his stock-engined follower to 47,000 miles, and it destroyed his engine...cam...valves...head...pump...all of it. Luckily, he got a new replacement engine from VW, but don't count on being that lucky.
I believe it was on the 'tex. The guy had an APR fuel pump - I believe he was stage 1+. We were pretty amazed VW replaced the engine since the guy was running the aftermarket pump, which theoretically puts more wear and tear on the CF.

The original feedback from the dealership tech was that the intake cam seized and pitched the timing belt which was nowhere to be found. I think they finally concluded the cam follower disintegrated and caused the cam to jam. A real cam jam if you ask me.

But anybody who is pushing 30K miles before checking - WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? CHECK IT NOW
Old 08-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #21
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '13 Carbon Gray 4dr Golf R
The aftermarket HPFP's have a higher rated spring which helps with the wear issue.
has anyboy who's running a stock HPFP noticed cam follower wear?
Pics and milage please
Old 08-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #22
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

running mobil one will increase you CF wear because of the lower sulfer content, the VW approved oils have a higher sulfer content wich increases the lubrication coefficent. I think there was a long thread in the vortex about this.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
Bozz
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 R, 94 Explorer, 80 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebersol View Post
The aftermarket HPFP's have a higher rated spring which helps with the wear issue.
has anyboy who's running a stock HPFP noticed cam follower wear?
Pics and milage please
Pics of stock pump followers in Posts #321 and #322 in this thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...er-quot/page10

As you can see even stock pump gives wear, probably enough that even with a stock HPFP I'd change the cam follower every 20k to be safe.
Bozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #24
MKV Aaron
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Golf R
Quote:

As you can see even stock pump gives wear, probably enough that even with a stock HPFP I'd change the cam follower every 20k to be safe.
yup this has been documented back since 06/07 with the FSIs.

All followers wear at different rates, even stock. My dad is doing 25k changes, and has been fine (stock), I'm doing 15k changes and been fine (stock).

HPFP upgrade increases wear, not decreases, so interval needs to be shortened.

This is FSI 101 here, its the #1 issue on these cars, and its dirt cheap to prevent. Replace often.
MKV Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #25
bebersol
Rally Car Champion

Quote:

I think the vortex thread points out the issues.
VAG changed their oil specifications because of this issue, lower sulfur oils were causing some lubrication starving.
While some came follower showed little or no wear some showed wear. Certainly the one with 70K mi showed the coating had been worn off. Cleary the ones showing more wear were the modified ones with the stage 1+ and higher tunes.
Any way I have a spare in my tool box and Ill probably change it at 25K as cheap insurance, and Im running the stock HPFP.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #26
boost pls
Drag Race Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebersol View Post
running mobil one will increase you CF wear because of the lower sulfer content, the VW approved oils have a higher sulfer content wich increases the lubrication coefficent. I think there was a long thread in the vortex about this.
Mobil 1 0w-40 is a VW approved oil. I need to take it out of my sig because i switched over to the standard castrol once the dealer started doing scheduled oil changes at 10k miles. I researched the crap out of this, I wouldn't have put it anywhere near my car if it wasn't approved.

That said, I changed my follower at about 13k miles for the first time and there was little to no wear on it. I'm going to let it run up to 20k this time around.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:27 AM   #27
9V7W3
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2Dr CSG Golf R - APR Stage 2+
Just hit 80K miles on my 2012 R.. Already had to replace the cam follower 4 times.. The first time my cam shaft and APR fuel pump went along with it.. Grrrr
Golf R 2DR CSG - Sun/Nav | 25% 3M | APR Stage 2 Flash | APR Intercooler | APR TB RSC exhaust - Diamond Black | APR HPFP | VWR Intake | Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch/Flywheel | NewSouth VentPod | APR RFD|

"That thing goes from 0 to F#K YEA in 3 seconds...." - Rick Harrison
9V7W3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:47 AM   #28
TheBGN
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2013 Golf R - tornado red 2 door
WoW. Driving it! Only ~ 6k here - 2013 R
TheBGN is offline   Reply With Quote