GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Who has the highest mileage on their 2012-2013 Golf R?

Eddy403

For folks with mileage over 60k - have you had to change the spark plugs and/or coil packs? What condition were the spark plugs if you have changed them and were you stage 1/2 or stock?

I've been running APR 91 since basically new and right now I'm at 37k miles - thinking its time to do the plugs/coil packs just to stay ahead of the maintenance since stage 1 demands more out of the factory hardware. The cam follower is on the list as well

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
For folks with mileage over 60k - have you had to change the spark plugs and/or coil packs? What condition were the spark plugs if you have changed them and were you stage 1/2 or stock?

I've been running APR 91 since basically new and right now I'm at 37k miles - thinking its time to do the plugs/coil packs just to stay ahead of the maintenance since stage 1 demands more out of the factory hardware. The cam follower is on the list as well

You should change your cam follower immediately. 37k even on a stock pump is too long.

Just last week, either here or on vortex, there was a guy who ran his stock-engined follower to 47,000 miles, and it destroyed his engine...cam...valves...head...pump...all of it. Luckily, he got a new replacement engine from VW, but don't count on being that lucky.

boost pls

Passed Driver's Ed
You should change your cam follower immediately. 37k even on a stock pump is too long.

Just last week, either here or on vortex, there was a guy who ran his stock-engined follower to 47,000 miles, and it destroyed his engine...cam...valves...head...pump...all of it. Luckily, he got a new replacement engine from VW, but don't count on being that lucky.

I believe it was on the 'tex. The guy had an APR fuel pump - I believe he was stage 1+. We were pretty amazed VW replaced the engine since the guy was running the aftermarket pump, which theoretically puts more wear and tear on the CF.

The original feedback from the dealership tech was that the intake cam seized and pitched the timing belt which was nowhere to be found. I think they finally concluded the cam follower disintegrated and caused the cam to jam. A real cam jam if you ask me.

But anybody who is pushing 30K miles before checking - WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? CHECK IT NOW

bebersol

Ready to race!
The aftermarket HPFP's have a higher rated spring which helps with the wear issue.
has anyboy who's running a stock HPFP noticed cam follower wear?
Pics and milage please

bebersol

Ready to race!
running mobil one will increase you CF wear because of the lower sulfer content, the VW approved oils have a higher sulfer content wich increases the lubrication coefficent. I think there was a long thread in the vortex about this.

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
The aftermarket HPFP's have a higher rated spring which helps with the wear issue.
has anyboy who's running a stock HPFP noticed cam follower wear?
Pics and milage please

Pics of stock pump followers in Posts #321 and #322 in this thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6871374-When-thy-say-quot-Check-your-follower-quot/page10

As you can see even stock pump gives wear, probably enough that even with a stock HPFP I'd change the cam follower every 20k to be safe.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6871374-When-thy-say-quot-Check-your-follower-quot/page10

As you can see even stock pump gives wear, probably enough that even with a stock HPFP I'd change the cam follower every 20k to be safe.

yup this has been documented back since 06/07 with the FSIs.

All followers wear at different rates, even stock. My dad is doing 25k changes, and has been fine (stock), I'm doing 15k changes and been fine (stock).

HPFP upgrade increases wear, not decreases, so interval needs to be shortened.

This is FSI 101 here, its the #1 issue on these cars, and its dirt cheap to prevent. Replace often.

bebersol

Ready to race!

I think the vortex thread points out the issues.
VAG changed their oil specifications because of this issue, lower sulfur oils were causing some lubrication starving.
While some came follower showed little or no wear some showed wear. Certainly the one with 70K mi showed the coating had been worn off. Cleary the ones showing more wear were the modified ones with the stage 1+ and higher tunes.
Any way I have a spare in my tool box and I’ll probably change it at 25K as cheap insurance, and I’m running the stock HPFP.

boost pls

Passed Driver's Ed
running mobil one will increase you CF wear because of the lower sulfer content, the VW approved oils have a higher sulfer content wich increases the lubrication coefficent. I think there was a long thread in the vortex about this.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is a VW approved oil. I need to take it out of my sig because i switched over to the standard castrol once the dealer started doing scheduled oil changes at 10k miles. I researched the crap out of this, I wouldn't have put it anywhere near my car if it wasn't approved.

That said, I changed my follower at about 13k miles for the first time and there was little to no wear on it. I'm going to let it run up to 20k this time around.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
Just hit 80K miles on my 2012 R.. Already had to replace the cam follower 4 times.. The first time my cam shaft and APR fuel pump went along with it.. Grrrr:mad0259:

9V7W3

Ready to race!
He is just under 98k now....:thumbsup:

I'm catching up to him, just hit 85K and 82K of those miles are at stage 2+, all APR hardware and tune with flap delete. I carbon clean every 35-40K and oil change every 3K and drive it like I stole it daily.