GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying my first GTI, please advice

06M006

Hi,

I am a newbie and buying GTI 2010 2D with DSG. It has 45K miles from two previous owners. After I test drove the car, I had the dealer put it on a lift to look at the underneath. I saw a big oil, leak from the engine. The tech said it is from turbo and they will fix it. This is a Cadillac dealer and I am not sure how good they are with VW? The sales guys was shocked too. He said they just inspected the car and nothing was found.
So should I move away from the car? I will drive 75 miles again to look at the car second time. The list price was $17K, I offered $14.2, and agreed online on$14.3.

My plan is to take the car to VW dealer and do pre-purchase inspection. Would that be enough?

Please advice.

razr390

Go Kart Champion
bump for some advice for the fella.

Good luck with everything man. If they agree to pay the pre-purchase inspection (the Cadillac dealership) they might have themselves a sale. TBH I think the sales guys were scared enough so they might agree to it "just to get it off their lot"

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
id say have the vw dealer checked out, so yeah it'll be enough. 17K is fine for 45k miles. Make sure the dsg service has been done too (has to be for every 40k)

srsmk6

Ready to race!
I'd walk from it and find another mk6 ... go to vw and get yourself certified preowned.

06M006

I bought the car. First, I took it to the VW dealer. They said it needs a rear wiper, serious:) It will be good to reflush the coolant since the car has "after market" yellow coolant: the car should have blue coolant. I should get the DSG serviced. They couldn't find a record of previous DSG service. I may also consider intake clean-up. Nothing to walk away from the car.

I will change the wiper and get the DSG and intake the clean-up done very soon.

I love the car so far. I will not do any mods, at all. The only thing it has 25% front, 50% rear tint. Just bring the maintenance up to date and enjoy.

Last edited:

wireless

Ready to race!
Great price, good buy!

I bought my 2011 with 17k miles for $19k about 18mo ago. Best car I've ever had.

You should definitely do some mods - at least a tune. You'll enjoy it 100% more ;)

But sounds like you got a good deal. Enjoy the car!

06M006

Just an update: I had my dsg oil changed by a fellow forum member locally, and get alignment done. So far, enjoying the car. The coolant will be flushed this weekend.

I am looking for APR stage one intake.

SyDiko

Ready to race!
Just an update: I had my dsg oil changed by a fellow forum member locally, and get alignment done. So far, enjoying the car. The coolant will be flushed this weekend.

I am looking for APR stage one intake.

Wouldn't hurt to purchase a new cabin air filter as well, easy enough to replace yourself.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
I bought the car. First, I took it to the VW dealer. They said it needs a rear wiper, serious:) It will be good to reflush the coolant since the car has "after market" yellow coolant: the car should have blue coolant.

Oh boy... your car or any VW/Audi uses factory specific G12 coolant which is in PINK.... if they really putted blue coolant in it... you better go to another dealer and flush it again. Side note... previous owner use aftermarket coolant? yellow?

Maybe I'm wrong?

zrickety

The Fixer
Not sure the coolant is a big deal unless you are still under warranty.

rokketman

Ready to race!
id say have the vw dealer checked out, so yeah it'll be enough. 17K is fine for 45k miles. Make sure the dsg service has been done too (has to be for every 40k)

17k is not fine for 45k miles. 17k is fine for a 2012 with 25k-30k miles.