GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
Ugene55
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW 4Dr GTI
Looking to swap my MK6 engine with Tiguan - Yes or No

I have a 2011 GTI 2.0t CCTA engine. My timing got completely screwed up and the repairs will cost more than it will be to buy a new engine. (around 5k vs 3.5k)

I found a decent engine from a 2011 Tiguan with 55k miles. I read around that the Tiguan has the same engine as the GTI. Only difference is that it doesnt have the turbo (which I can salvage from my car and install).

Has anyone ever swapped engines with a Tiguan or can you re-assure me that they are completely compatible? I am gonna have to shell out $3,500 for this thing and dont want any room for error, so I came to the pro's. Please help! Any advice/input would help.

Last edited by Ugene55; 11-11-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Ugene55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
Jordanka
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: Passat 6MT
I'm pretty sure it's the same turbo-ed motor that VW has been running across the GTI, previous generation Passat, CC & Tiguan. The motor does have a turbo but you may run into some issues with a Tiguan ECU.
Jordanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
apa11393
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: GTX30 '12 GTI, '96 Miata
Call up some local junkyards. I was able to find a long block with decent mileage for 2k within the first day of looking.
apa11393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
Tkulhanc134
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: MK7 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanka View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the same turbo-ed motor that VW has been running across the GTI, previous generation Passat, CC & Tiguan. The motor does have a turbo but you may run into some issues with a Tiguan ECU.
from what i heard, the CC's gear ratios are longer, 60 gear about 1,900 rpms vs mk6 gti 2,600 rpms.

also we had a guy that did stage 2 then ko4'ed his tiguan but he's banned now, look into skullv.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #5
marxan
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: VW GTI 2011
You d need to get the ECU also.. And even then few headache ahead as you ll get some codes and will need to find which sensors to disable..

Only reason I d do it is if I could find the Tiguan TSI AWD with dq500 then I would be in for a swop
Revozport Stage 3 Full Body Kit | Rays Te37sl black edition 18'' | Yokohama ad08r 235/40/18 | VWR 6Pots Big Brake Kit + R20 rear brakes | Bilstein PSS 10 | EuroJet TurboBack | APR Intercooler | DM BT tune + BT DSG tune | Peloquin DSG LSD | APR Air Intake + green filter|APR Stage 3 gtx2867 kit | GFB DV+ | INA oil cooler | Defi boost, DSG temp, water temp gauges | Full Alpine Audio Digital Series.... r20 euro bucket seat [color="Red"]
marxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
superj
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 Tiguan MT
Tiguan transmission is totally different. Tiguan 6spd manual uses the same transmission as the TTRS. The motor would probably work with your existing transmission though.
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
Why-man5
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 volkswagon GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene55 View Post
I have a 2011 GTI 2.0t CCTA engine. My timing got completely screwed up and the repairs will cost more than it will be to buy a new engine. (around 5k vs 3.5k)

I found a decent engine from a 2011 Tiguan with 55k miles. I read around that the Tiguan has the same engine as the GTI. Only difference is that it doesnt have the turbo (which I can salvage from my car and install).

Has anyone ever swapped engines with a Tiguan or can you re-assure me that they are completely compatible? I am gonna have to shell out $3,500 for this thing and dont want any room for error, so I came to the pro's. Please help! Any advice/input would help.
I have a 2012 gti and 2014 tiguan...same engine and horsepower (i.e., both turbocharged)....
Why-man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
cbenjes
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI TR 4Dr w/ Sunroof
Check out:

VORWERK AUTO
Store Location:
16 Cockeysville Rd.
Cockeysville, MD 21030
phone: (410) 666-0052
http://vorwerkauto.com/

Cockeysville, MD is only about an hours from Lancaster. They part out a lot of VW's.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Calkulin

Drives: '13 GLI Nav
As long as you match the engine code to what your car has, CCTA, then it won't matter what car it came from as it's the same engine and you will be to reuse anything you need like ECU, sensors, turbo, etc. Technically you can use a CBFA engine in your car but you may need do a couple of things to get it working correctly, like get a block off plate for the SAI hole(not know if CCTA engine have it or just don't have the hole, etc)
Calkulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Ugene55
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkulin View Post
As long as you match the engine code to what your car has, CCTA, then it won't matter what car it came from as it's the same engine and you will be to reuse anything you need like ECU, sensors, turbo, etc. Technically you can use a CBFA engine in your car but you may need do a couple of things to get it working correctly, like get a block off plate for the SAI hole(not know if CCTA engine have it or just don't have the hole, etc)
Do you think I will need the ECU from the Tiguan? I think the engine should be enough. I confirmed that it is a CCTA engine. Now regarding the Turbo, I can re-use the one from my GTI, correct?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Calkulin

Drives: '13 GLI Nav
No, all you need is the engine itself(long block), you could reuse any part from your engine, including the engine harness if needed. But ideally you want to use which ever parts have the lower mileage or are in better condition, so just inspect everything to decide

EDIT: ECU's are only needed if you're transplanting a completely different engine in, where your ECU will not run it correctly but in our case, a CCTA ECU should be able to run even a CBFA engine with minor work

Last edited by Calkulin; 11-12-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Calkulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Ugene55
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenjes View Post
Check out:

VORWERK AUTO
Store Location:
16 Cockeysville Rd.
Cockeysville, MD 21030
phone: (410) 666-0052
http://vorwerkauto.com/

Cockeysville, MD is only about an hours from Lancaster. They part out a lot of VW's.
Thanks, i'll check it out. Their website doesnt work for some reason. They sell engines or just swap them out?
Old 09-01-2017, 01:56 AM   #13
macrossplus
Ready to race!

Drives: 2010 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkulin View Post
No, all you need is the engine itself(long block), you could reuse any part from your engine, including the engine harness if needed. But ideally you want to use which ever parts have the lower mileage or are in better condition, so just inspect everything to decide

EDIT: ECU's are only needed if you're transplanting a completely different engine in, where your ECU will not run it correctly but in our case, a CCTA ECU should be able to run even a CBFA engine with minor work
Can I put a CCTA engine in my CBFA MK6 GTI without changing the ECU? I am told that the ecu may throw an error code if the pump and wiring that isnt being used is disconnected.

WIll it fwork?
can I tell the ECU that its a CCTA?
macrossplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #14
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
You will need to pair the ECU to the new engine, otherwise you'll get emissions codes, possibly limp mode.