GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
Mikeshoie
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: '13 CW Gti
Cobb and Canadian gas

To any fellow Canadians running the access port, what type of gas are you using? I've had some slight timing pull using the stage 1 91oct high boost while running 94 oct (petrocan). Is a -3 degrees pull worth switching back to the low boost tune?

Thanks
Mikeshoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
schulmann
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Golf GTI
Very good question !

I had the impression that Canadian 94 oct was better than the US 93. Am I wrong ?
schulmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
The Great NY
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeshoie View Post
To any fellow Canadians running the access port, what type of gas are you using? I've had some slight timing pull using the stage 1 91oct high boost while running 94 oct (petrocan). Is a -3 degrees pull worth switching back to the low boost tune?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulmann View Post
Very good question !

I had the impression that Canadian 94 oct was better than the US 93. Am I wrong ?
is the 94 octane from that place Ethanol free? I have see people post about Chevron 94 being ethanol free up there in Canada land. Sounds wrong but try Shell 91 or another good 91 octane.

Ive seen reports of the 94 there being subpar honestly.
The Great NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Im under the impression by a article i just read.. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle13224927/

That your guys gas fluctuates a lot... where as in America ours is much more constant values.

Not all gas companies have the same quality control/testing done to ensure that its the same across the board.

I would use a top tier company such as shell etc for your fuel and you would know your getting the best gas.

I for one only use Shell or Sunnoco gas and never had a issue gas related. Cheap/bad gas can be a issue anywhere so i try to stick to the name brand higher tier gas companies. Not all 93oct is the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Mikeshoie
Go Kart Newbie

Yes our 94 is ethanol free. I'll have to burn though this tank and take some logs with Shell V-Power
Old 04-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
Midknight
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI - White
I've heard this but don't know the reason behind it. I've heard shell is better than Cheveron, but only through word of mouth, not with any actual data.

I feel like the quality of the top tiers should be the same, but may fluctuate more with the lower octane fuels...but I also have no idea what I'm talking about
Old 04-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
Blakcard
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
yeah...not sure about US but our Gas phuckers give us this so called winter gas and then summer gas. More or less detergent and additives I'm guessing for the winter.

I don't have anything to test the octane rating for Costco, Shell or PetroCan gas. I've been using Costco gas as I've not "felt" the difference when i've used Shell for two fill ups or Petro or Costco... .maybe a sincere analysis is required.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

for what its worth. All be it this list has expanded quite a lot since i first saw it.
*Edit nevvermind this wasnt the original list i was talking about before.. i cant find the original list which was made by BMW talking about gas and what companies were approved M' cars gas companies. (Granted that list was posted when the E46 M3 was brand new...)

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

Here is this from 2015.
http://www.shell.us/motorist/shell-f...-gasoline.html
Quote:
Quote:
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
Mikeshoie
Go Kart Newbie

Turns out our V-Power gas is also ethanol free as well. I might have to get an Etune specific to our lower rated gas or stick to the 91 low boost OTS tune. Also, can anyone chime in on a -3 degree pull? Bad, not that bad?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
John@Unitronic
GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Drives: MK3 TTRS
Petro Canada 94 octane is some of the best pump fuel in North America, hands down.
John@Unitronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Turns out our V-Power gas is also ethanol free as well. I might have to get an Etune specific to our lower rated gas or stick to the 91 low boost OTS tune. Also, can anyone chime in on a -3 degree pull? Bad, not that bad?
Here is some info i could find quickly about timing. (Its a bitch to understand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@DoubleApex View Post
Timing at idle is around -4 deg to -6 deg BTDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013R View Post
what makes the most sense, is the p3 gauge positive number is pulling as you said. you want the lowest numbers possible. when it says negative numbers, thats advancing timing giving you more power. at least thats the direction it would make the most sense in.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

So from my basic reading skills it would appear that (-) timing is adding power and (+) timing is retardation taking power away. I dunno if its right that what i read off that one thread.. maybe someone else with better knowledge can chime in.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #13
The Great NY
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: multiple
Quote:
which tune OTS are you running? did you take a full log of the last pull you did on the Shell 91?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
Here is some info i could find quickly about timing. (Its a bitch to understand)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
So from my basic reading skills it would appear that (-) timing is adding power and (+) timing is retardation taking power away. I dunno if its right that what i read off that one thread.. maybe someone else with better knowledge can chime in.
knock retard values of negative means the ECU is pulling timing (retarding timing) to cure or extinguish the registered knock event

so if your seeing timing correction in the negative. the car is having timing pulled. not advanced.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
The Great NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #14
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great NY View Post
which tune OTS are you running? did you take a full log of the last pull you did on the Shell 91?

knock retard values of negative means the ECU is pulling timing (retarding timing) to cure or extinguish the registered knock event

so if your seeing timing correction in the negative. the car is having timing pulled. not advanced.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Ahh the thread i read worded it opposite its so confusing.
Quote:
Quote: