GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 2Dr GTI CSG Manual
Exhaust Manifold Leak

Hey everyone,

Has anyone every had an exhaust manifold leak on their GTI? I have 38k and seem to have one. I tried a dealership and they said it would likely get denied due to my aftermarket mods. I can see where they are coming from but there are a lot of tuned GTIs and I have never seen this on the forums. Searching only brought up one youtube video and some other ones that seemed different to my case. I may have to eat this one but I wanted to hear what you guys think. An independent shop suggested I get the manifold "lightly machined" to rule out an uneven surface and not have to do it twice in the event it is slightly warped. Thank in advanced guys.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
simpson110
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 gti
How do you know it's leaking? It's a pretty hard area to see, and the manifold is cast with the turbine housing. No matter what it's a good amount of work to just replace the gasket.

Pm me for vagcom in southern ct(near new haven)
simpson110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

When the axle heat shield is removed, they were able to see soot marks. It was verified on a lift as well by via a stethoscope. Yea, it is likely a couple hours worth of labor
Old 12-24-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
simpson110

Probably 6 hours labor to remove and reinstall for the gasket. Was the turbo ever removed before? If it was were the manifold nuts torqued properly? It's something like 1-3-5-4-2 in 3 steps but I can't remember the actual torque values.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

Does look to be around 6 hours. It has never been removed, unless it was for some reason before I bought it new.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:57 AM   #6
simpson110

I did my ko4 and it was about 10 hours to remove and install the turbo. So I figure it should take the dealer or a good shop about 6 to do the same. It is an involved job.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
TheCastle
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: MK6 GTI rip. BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthor703 View Post
Hey everyone,

Has anyone every had an exhaust manifold leak on their GTI? I have 38k and seem to have one. I tried a dealership and they said it would likely get denied due to my aftermarket mods. I can see where they are coming from but there are a lot of tuned GTIs and I have never seen this on the forums. Searching only brought up one youtube video and some other ones that seemed different to my case. I may have to eat this one but I wanted to hear what you guys think. An independent shop suggested I get the manifold "lightly machined" to rule out an uneven surface and not have to do it twice in the event it is slightly warped. Thank in advanced guys.
I've never hear of an exhaust manifold leak yet on a factory installed turbo. I suppose anything is possible. what problems is the potential exhaust leak causing you? If the problems are minor I'd say live with it.

You might start with just retorqueing the bolts. There are also leak stop miracle pastes you could use. I'm just suggesting these if money is a major concern.

Are they really sure it's leaking? The soot isn't oil dripping on the manifold from something else?
TheCastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Sebastian24
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 4door GTI CSG
When I installed my k04 the number 2 stud broke, and it doesn't look like I have a leak still... curious if the manifold itself is warped on yours
Sebastian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCastle View Post
I've never hear of an exhaust manifold leak yet on a factory installed turbo. I suppose anything is possible. what problems is the potential exhaust leak causing you? If the problems are minor I'd say live with it.

You might start with just retorqueing the bolts. There are also leak stop miracle pastes you could use. I'm just suggesting these if money is a major concern.

Are they really sure it's leaking? The soot isn't oil dripping on the manifold from something else?
Right now, the problems are a high pitch squeal under stock boost levels. It is also throwing some 02 sensor codes occasionally. The leak was verified by a stethoscope. I don't want to jump to conclusions about a warped manifold, but like you said, I have yet to really see this happen on our cars, especially on the stock turbo. I may try getting a new nut and re-torque the bolt. I have already tried tightening it and it came back fairly quick. Talk about k04 knocking on my door lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian24 View Post
When I installed my k04 the number 2 stud broke, and it doesn't look like I have a leak still... curious if the manifold itself is warped on yours
I really hope not
Old 04-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #10
sauceman101

Drives: 2010 UG GTI 6MT
Idk if this was ever resolved but there's at least three others, including myself that this has occurred to,

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94449
2010 UG GTI 6MT: Peloquin LSD, APR Stage 1, DIY RSR Clutch, VWR Streetsport+ Coils, IE Camber Plates, 034M Front End Links, Hotchkis RSB, APR Stage 1+2 Carbino Intake, HPA Red Subframe Puck, Enkei PF01s wrapped w/ Star Spec 2s, AWE DP, [i] Magnaflow CBE, BIG things coming if you catch the drift
sauceman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #11
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Curious as to why at 38k on a 2012 in 2014, the dealer wouldn't pull and replace the turbo under PT. The turbo is covered, as well as the manifold. His mods wouldn't degrade the manifold seals or warp the cast to cause a leak, and I assume this is on the stock turbo as well, even though he has a K04 now. Pretty ridiculous, should've easily been covered.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #12
Geryon86
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: MK7 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocalPoint View Post
Curious as to why at 38k on a 2012 in 2014, the dealer wouldn't pull and replace the turbo under PT. The turbo is covered, as well as the manifold. His mods wouldn't degrade the manifold seals or warp the cast to cause a leak, and I assume this is on the stock turbo as well, even though he has a K04 now. Pretty ridiculous, should've easily been covered.
The dealer and VOA told me that the manifold gasket and manifold stud were not covered. They looked in their little warranty book and said sorry not covered and we're not helping you. My manifold was warped too and they blamed it on the stud snapping.

Last edited by Geryon86; 04-26-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Geryon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #13
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

Yea, I'm pretty sure the cause was a blown out gasket or failed hardware. I got tired of fighting it and had an out that I was going to pursue anyway (k04). I wasn't able to confirm if the manifold was warped or not.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:02 PM   #14
steve9842015
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2011 4 dr GTI /DSG
Any vid of the high pitch noise? Curious to hear.

When I did the k04 install the furthest left stud had already been broken. Went ahead with the install (didn't want to deal with that headache at that point) and haven't seen any sign of a leak as of 3k miles so far.
2011 United Grey 4dr GTI | APR k04 v3.1 | GodSpeed v2 IC | IE Intake | Billy Boat TBE | ST X Coils | Depot Golf R LED Tails | GFB DV+ | AWE S3 TOP + Neuspeed TPB | Neuspeed RSE12's + PSS | NSP Boost Gauge | 034 Street Density
steve9842015 is offline   Reply With Quote