GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Can i run a K04 on factory tune?

I was previously running a Uni stage 2 tune but had an issue with my ECU (not uni related) and had it replaced. Now I am waiting for uni to release port flashing so i can get my tune back.

Well i also purchased a k04 and intercooler and have some open time to get it installed but do not know how long i will have to wait until port flashing is available.

Will I see any issues with running the k04 on my factory tune?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 D.E. DSG GTI
Keep your throttle and boost low, and you'll be fine. Only real problem I would see would be overboost codes causing your car to go into limp mode. Just stay out of boost as much as possible and switch to a k04 tune asap.
RGTI13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Sebastian24
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 4door GTI CSG
You'd still run lean, wouldn't recommend unless it's for a very short period of time and you stay out of boost.
You shouldn't let one bad experience with the ECU deter you from trying to tune it again. Yes, not cracking it open gives you that extra piece of mind, but most likely the failure was due to a user error on the tuners part. I've had mine cracked open no less than 5 times (there wasn't a box code for my ecu, so they had to update the tune for mine), 65k miles later, absolutely no issues. I'm also unitronic, the only thing you really have to be careful with is who opens your ecu and how they handle it...
Find a reputable shop, talk to the person who's actually going to do the tune, and also ask in your regional classifieds about people's experiences with shops around your area who are uni dealers and how they really treat their customers.
Sebastian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 AM   #4
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

My ecu was damaged due to a minor accident, not installer error.

I'm not too terribly concerned about getting it cracked, more so voiding my warranty. If the ecu is not opened, I can always revert back to stock tuning and the dealer will not have a clue. I guess this theory falls apart once I add the k04 anyway.

Still, I'd rather wait a month for port flashing to be available before cracking the ecu again.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:12 AM   #5
Sebastian24
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Audience View Post

I'm not too terribly concerned about getting it cracked, more so voiding my warranty. If the ecu is not opened, I can always revert back to stock tuning and the dealer will not have a clue. I guess this theory falls apart once I add the k04 anyway.

Still, I'd rather wait a month for port flashing to be available before cracking the ecu again.
Oh ok gotcha. If that's the case then I'd definitely wait, I wouldn't drive a month on k04 with no tune honestly, you're taking a bigger chance there than your dealer refusing you warranty bc of ecu tune
Old 12-31-2014, 01:30 AM   #6
WAP
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 CSG GTI DSG Mk6 VEYRON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Audience View Post

How can you be a member of this forum for over a year and still think that's true?
2011 GTI DSG -Detroits swapped for Denvers|Soundaktor killed|DG Base Carrier Bars|VW Valve Stem Caps (+10hp!)|Dash Cubby|Euro Switch|GTI Seat Wrench Inserts|Conti DWS's|Vag-Com Mods|Double Apex USB Charger
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:44 AM   #7
motodude310
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 gti dsg
Dealer can tell if ecu has been flashed whether port or.bench flashed. I won't pretend to know how but they can.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
motodude310
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 gti dsg
And yeah, I'd say the most time I'd want the K04 in before it was flashed was on a very leisurely ride to the shop after the turbo was installed.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:54 AM   #9
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 D.E. DSG GTI
I don't understand all this misconception here. You will be PERFECTLY FINE with a k04 and your OEM ECU software for as long as you stay below stock boost levels. Stop worrying him.

And it is extremely easy to stay near vacuum (let the motor do the work) around city, even highway, even in acceleration. The only reason you'll have any "lean" conditions would be at your highest point of OEM boost levels because the k04 flows slightly more.

EDIT: and if you happen to boost above your OEM threshold... Don't fret. You'll go into what we call "overboost" condition. It won't allow your car to boost past a certain (stock) threshold. You can read about this overboost code by simply searching...
RGTI13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
Sebastian24
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTI13 View Post
I don't understand all this misconception here. You will be PERFECTLY FINE with a k04 and your OEM ECU software for as long as you stay below stock boost levels. Stop worrying him.

And it is extremely easy to stay near vacuum (let the motor do the work) around city, even highway, even in acceleration. The only reason you'll have any "lean" conditions would be at your highest point of OEM boost levels because the k04 flows slightly more.
We can agree to disagree... The boost onset of the k04 (which has different flow dynamics) is totally different. When the ECU requests a certain psi, the K04 will deliver something different, which will alter AFR. This will cause lean condition immediately, the ECU can only compensate so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTI13 View Post
EDIT: and if you happen to boost above your OEM threshold... Don't fret. You'll go into what we call "overboost" condition. It won't allow your car to boost past a certain (stock) threshold. You can read about this overboost code by simply searching...
Oh the initial spike will definitely blow past your 11psi stock value. The only way to be "safe" while doing this is either run a MBC, or adjust WG cracking pressure on the k04, which the latter is also a bad idea, since you're messing with calibration by trial and error, unless you have the equipment to adjust while turbo is off the car and you actually know what you're doing. Another option is to dump some more fuel. Since you can't do that without a tune (which the case is here), you could do some DI watermeth... These are some viable options, which cost time and money, but less money then a blown motor.

If you read my first post you will see that I mentioned I had my ECU opened a bunch of times. The most troublesome one was actually when I went k04. So I had to drive the car a few times without the tune, not once did i get an over boost code and went into limp mode. It is just not safe. Why take the chance really...? And if you have to get on the highway have fun staying near vacuum with the k04 and stock tune...
Old 12-31-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
///Audience
FIA GT Newbie

Thanks for all the advice everyone. At this point, it seems wise to just hold off on installing the k04 until the tune becomes available.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
WetMoney
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: "Love the Cars, Hate the Scene"
someone is waiting for Uni huh?

WetMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
sean@apr

Drives: Q7 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
How can you be a member of this forum for over a year and still think that's true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by motodude310 View Post
Dealer can tell if ecu has been flashed whether port or.bench flashed. I won't pretend to know how but they can.
I wonder how these OWT (Old Wives Tales) still hang around. I can't vouch for every tuner, but they can't detect an APR tuned car that is reflashed to stock.

Last edited by sean@apr; 12-31-2014 at 01:16 PM.
sean@apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
sean@apr

Drives: Q7 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian24 View Post
When the ECU requests a certain psi, the K04 will deliver something different, which will alter AFR. This will cause lean condition immediately, the ECU can only compensate so much.
The MAF measures the air that actually goes into the intake tract and fuels based on that. The boost request/actual system has 0 to do with fueling.

You can run a K04 on stock software and it will run mostly like a stock car. Spool will be a little late, but that's all. Shouldn't throw any codes or anything.
sean@apr is offline   Reply With Quote