GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
GTI2.0
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI 6SM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Coatesville, PA. 19320
Posts: 296
Rough idle

Lately my car has been running rough, but no cel. It seems to hesitate on acceleration too. I have about 60k on the car now. I haven't done a tune up yet, because a local VW dealership told me that it is a 60k service, but from what I see online is that a lot of people do it at 40k. I was thinking about replacing my coil packs when doing the tune up. Do you guys think the tune up will help and if I should replace the coil packs as well? They are the original ones.
GTI2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2013 D.E. DSG GTI
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 1,868
Replace the coilpacks! While you're doing it, you might as well switch to Audi R8 packs if you're tuned (or not).

For now, check if the coilpacks are seated properly. Just gently push down on them.
RGTI13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
GTI2.0
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI 6SM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Coatesville, PA. 19320
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTI13 View Post
Replace the coilpacks! While you're doing it, you might as well switch to Audi R8 packs if you're tuned (or not).

For now, check if the coilpacks are seated properly. Just gently push down on them.
Thanks, I do want the R8s. I am not tuned, but hope to do stage I eventually. Is 60k a world record for the longest lasting VW coil packs ?
Is 40k the correct mileage for a tune-up? I'll check the coilpacks for now.
GTI2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #4
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2013 D.E. DSG GTI
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI2.0 View Post
Thanks, I do want the R8s. I am not tuned, but hope to do stage I eventually. Is 60k a world record for the longest lasting VW coil packs ?
Is 40k the correct mileage for a tune-up? I'll check the coilpacks for now.
I'm not quite sure on the mileage stuff... But "technically" stock coil packs should last pretty long... But you never know. That's a general failure point for stage one cars, so that would probably be the first place you look.

What about spark plugs? Change those recently? 60k on plugs would be a lot.

Good spot to pick up coils.. Price recently went up though: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Volksw.../dp/B008QXZ5UI

Sign up for Amazon prime and get next day air shipping for cheap! (;
RGTI13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
robeeeerob
Formula 5000 Champion
 
robeeeerob's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CW GTI (DSG)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,012
Yeah, it sounds like it's either the spark plugs or the coil packs. You should probably change out both. And yes, do the R8 coilpacks. For spark plugs, you have several options, but I'd recommend either the NGK BKR7EIX or the NGK PFR7S8EG.

http://www.hstuning.com/index.php?vp...89&cPath=24_32

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...gine/Ignition/


__________________
A WOT a day, keeps the carbon away
robeeeerob's Build

Need an install or auto service done?RobzAuto

robeeeerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
GTI2.0
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI 6SM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Coatesville, PA. 19320
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTI13 View Post
I'm not quite sure on the mileage stuff... But "technically" stock coil packs should last pretty long... But you never know. That's a general failure point for stage one cars, so that would probably be the first place you look.

What about spark plugs? Change those recently? 60k on plugs would be a lot.

Good spot to pick up coils.. Price recently went up though: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Volksw.../dp/B008QXZ5UI

Sign up for Amazon prime and get next day air shipping for cheap! (;
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeeerob View Post
Yeah, it sounds like it's either the spark plugs or the coil packs. You should probably change out both. And yes, do the R8 coilpacks. For spark plugs, you have several options, but I'd recommend either the NGK BKR7EIX or the NGK PFR7S8EG.

http://www.hstuning.com/index.php?vp...89&cPath=24_32

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...gine/Ignition/

Thanks guys! I am going with the NGK plugs.
GTI2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Rcode
FIA GT Newbie
 
Rcode's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LINY
Posts: 702
If the spark plugs and coil packs don't fix it, scan for random cylinder misfires. They don't always throw a CEL. Could be carbon buildup at that mileage.
__________________
Stockish
Rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2013 D.E. DSG GTI
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcode View Post
If the spark plugs and coil packs don't fix it, scan for random cylinder misfires. They don't always throw a CEL. Could be carbon buildup at that mileage.
This is a great point. Very likely it could be carbon buildup...
RGTI13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
robeeeerob
Formula 5000 Champion
 
robeeeerob's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 CW GTI (DSG)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI2.0 View Post
Thanks guys! I am going with the NGK plugs.
NP! Also, here's additional info on both coilpacks and sparkplugs, in case you're curious or want more guidance on your options:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37818

__________________
A WOT a day, keeps the carbon away
robeeeerob's Build

Need an install or auto service done?RobzAuto

robeeeerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
GTI2.0
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI 6SM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Coatesville, PA. 19320
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcode View Post
If the spark plugs and coil packs don't fix it, scan for random cylinder misfires. They don't always throw a CEL. Could be carbon buildup at that mileage.
Thanks, and will do I had the carbon build up cleaning done at 40k. Would you say its possible that I could need it again?
GTI2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
GTI2.0
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI 6SM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Coatesville, PA. 19320
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeeeerob View Post
NP! Also, here's additional info on both coilpacks and sparkplugs, in case you're curious or want more guidance on your options:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37818

Thanks
GTI2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #12
Rcode
FIA GT Newbie
 
Rcode's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LINY
Posts: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI2.0 View Post
Thanks, and will do I had the carbon build up cleaning done at 40k. Would you say its possible that I could need it again?
The real cleaning or sea foam? If the real cleaning, I would doubt carbon then. I know I have a carbon issue right now. I have to clear a CEL weekly. So many misfires with brand new plugs and coils.
__________________
Stockish
Rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
GTI2.0
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: 2010 GTI 6SM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Coatesville, PA. 19320
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcode View Post
The real cleaning or sea foam? If the real cleaning, I would doubt carbon then. I know I have a carbon issue right now. I have to clear a CEL weekly. So many misfires with brand new plugs and coils.
The real cleaning at the dealership. I heard sea foam doesn't do crap. I didn't have any problems, but I did it for a piece of mind. It only cost me $174 so well worth it IMO. The tune up I will be doing myself.
GTI2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #14
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2013 D.E. DSG GTI
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI2.0 View Post
The real cleaning at the dealership. I heard sea foam doesn't do crap. I didn't have any problems, but I did it for a piece of mind. It only cost me $174 so well worth it IMO. The tune up I will be doing myself.
They only charged you 174? Wow...... I would confirm that it was a true cleaning. That price sounds too good to be true, no?
RGTI13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.