GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #15
NYCSuits
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '16 GSW SE LP/DP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
oem
OEM is the way to go and apparently the dealer sells them at a price lower than aftermarket brands which is shocking. My 2010 Tiguan is using the original oem battery and hasn't skipped a beat...was actually tested about a month ago and is perfectly fine
Akrapovic | REVO | RNS510 Rev-Q | OEM Euro Cup Holder | OEM Euro Power Folding Mirrors | OEM Euro Mirrors | OEM Golf R Mirror Caps | OEM RLS Windshield | OEM RLS | OEM Dimming Mirror | OEM DG Springs | OEM LED Tails | OEM Dash Cubby | ECS CF Intake | Unibrace UB | Tyrolsport | SPM RSB | 17" OEM Goals | 18" OEM VW Motorsport | 18" OEM Detroit | OEM+ | OEM Match Markers | OEM Lip Spoiler | 50% llumar | WeatherTech| Vagcom
NYCSuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #16
mattkosem
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 R
I just ordered one of these for my R. Seems like a good price for a Deka.

http://www.remybattery.com/mobile/In...ry--P4550.aspx

Saw it here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?p=80228279

--Matt
Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #17
WAP
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 CSG GTI DSG Mk6 VEYRON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert MVIGTI View Post
OP, don't expect the longevity some of these posters are claiming....you live in Maryland, where the balls hot weather ruins the battery and the balls cold weather reveals the weakness. Just get one with a good warranty. Honestly, in Maryland if you get three or four years out of a battery you're doing good, and most batteries roll at least a 36 mo. warranty.
Bullshit. See my post above for my OEM battery experience. I'm in the Chicago area, where we see 100 degree summers and 10 below winters. My 4 year old OEM battery was just tested last month and it was fine.

2011 GTI DSG -Detroits swapped for Denvers|Soundaktor killed|DG Base Carrier Bars|VW Valve Stem Caps (+10hp!)|Dash Cubby|Euro Switch|GTI Seat Wrench Inserts|Conti DWS's|Vag-Com Mods|Double Apex USB Charger
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 PM   #18
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Old technology. Honestly, the new AGM batteries are the way to go. Especially with all the electronics and heavy loads in these cars. Sears will have to special order it, my local store tried to pull a fast one and give me a cheaper battery. NAPA also carries an AGM version, and they will match the website price.
Edit- that Deka is pretty sweet but is it a different size?
Quote:
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:48 PM   #19
brinkmen
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '15 Golf R DSG, '16 GTI S 6MT PP LP
OEM. They come with a 6 year warranty. No way you'd need anything more unless you have like $10k in stereo equipment or something.
brinkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:56 PM   #20
mattkosem
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Edit- that Deka is pretty sweet but is it a different size?
Maybe? It looks slightly bigger in the pic, but still seems to fit in the box with the factory jacket. I guess we'll see.

--Matt
Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 AM   #21
Desert MVIGTI
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 United Gray 4D 6M GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
Bullshit. See my post above for my OEM battery experience. I'm in the Chicago area, where we see 100 degree summers and 10 below winters. My 4 year old OEM battery was just tested last month and it was fine.

K bra. OP your battery will last 4 plus years then., no worries.. FAP battery uber alles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ))
Desert MVIGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #22
mattkosem
Touring Car Newbie

My car is a 2013, and mine is already toast. I don't have any stereo mods either. Barely starts under 20F. I've got the RFD, though, so it is a harder than usual task in all honesty.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 01-22-2015 at 11:54 PM.
mattkosem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:16 PM   #23
WAP
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
oem
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado917 View Post
This^
Got mine since 09 and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenjes View Post
OEM. Still have the original battery in my car with a build date of Oct 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golftdibrad View Post
FYI, back in the day (~10 years ago) the OEM batteries were interstate.

Also, believe it or not, THE DEALER had the best price i found. This was for my mk4 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAP View Post
This. Still on my original battery and my build date is 8/10.

I kept my Mk4 OEM battery for 7 years and it was still cranking fine when I replaced it, but I just thought it was time.

I've also had luck in the (distant) past with Diehard, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSuits View Post
OEM is the way to go and apparently the dealer sells them at a price lower than aftermarket brands which is shocking. My 2010 Tiguan is using the original oem battery and hasn't skipped a beat...was actually tested about a month ago and is perfectly fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkmen View Post
OEM. They come with a 6 year warranty. No way you'd need anything more unless you have like $10k in stereo equipment or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert MVIGTI View Post
K bra. OP your battery will last 4 plus years then., no worries.. FAP battery uber alles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ))
I'm not the only one who had/has good luck with oem, dude.
2011 GTI DSG -Detroits swapped for Denvers|Soundaktor killed|DG Base Carrier Bars|VW Valve Stem Caps (+10hp!)|Dash Cubby|Euro Switch|GTI Seat Wrench Inserts|Conti DWS's|Vag-Com Mods|Double Apex USB Charger
Old 01-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #24
J-Cooz
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: 2010 Golf Sportline
My car is a 2010 and still on the original battery. If its really cold out (-20) it starts a little slow but its fine. I won't replace it until it fails. No point in spending money on something that is working just fine.
J-Cooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #25
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Definitely not OEM or Optima.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #26
WAP
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
Definitely not OEM or Optima.
See above.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #27
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
OEM batteries are junk...if you got a good one you are lucky. Both my 09 and 10 needed replacement after 3 years.
Quote:
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #28
WAP
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
OEM batteries are junk...if you got a good one you are lucky. Both my 09 and 10 needed replacement after 3 years.
See MQ above.