GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender Rolling in SoCal?

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
I had my front fenders rolled 3 1/2 years ago when the fender screw mod didn't completely quell the rubbing under hard cornering with 18x8.5 et45 wheels running 225 tires, 24.75 FTG - which is about where I sit right now more or less.

For a few years I enjoyed hard driving bliss and in January of this year I went driver sideways into a guardrail on a rainy day (happened on the Cherry Ave. exit off the S/B 405 in Long Bitch - come for the Queen Mary, stay for parole). Good news is that the driver side front corners were bondoed and resprayed to look good as new, with both LCAs replaced, new bushes (including 034 engine and tranny street density mounts) everywhere has the car feeling crisp and responsive on the corners, with good power in 3rd gear thru the Malibu canyons thanks to CTS K04! Bad news is that the bodyshop, of course, repaired the damaged fender to factory spec, and boom, there goes the cut out fender well cover and rolled lip, and now? Rubbing on right hand hard corners.

I can't find the guy rolled my fender in the 1st place, a scruffy looking random dude who wrote for VW and other Euro modder mags, and worked out of his garage in the SFV, and not only rolled the fenders but pulled them ever so slightly (1/8" at most) that had me wondering if I could even run 235s without rubbing too bad. And his prices were amazing $50 or slightly less (fuzzy memory) for both front fenders!

Anybody have recommendations for fender rolling? I know no guarantees, but would be nice if they could take the time and care to not crack the paint while they rolled/pulled the front left fender only. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

PS
If the "shop" does good work I'm going to finally go 18x8 235 et 45 for that beefy functional look ;), now that the camber I was running in the fronts have worn the inside of tires down to the bars.
PPS
How dafuq does anyone get to like 10k+ posts? I posted a lot the first 2 yrs I owned this car, and today I posted like 10xs and look at my post count, pitiful! I know, I shoul've posted instead of edited my posts. Darn it.

EDIT
TLDR: Guy's name is Tony, he's chatty as hell, and peculiar in an interesting, curmodgeonly way, his prices are 60-80 per car (!) and he works on short notice, at your convenience he will come out to you within reason, tho I think if you paid enuff, he would go far, and is just the best option bar none for fender rolling in SoCal, excluding SD County.

Last edited:

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
How dafuq does anyone get to like 10k+ posts? I posted a lot the first 2 yrs I owned this car, and today I posted like 10xs and look at my post count, pitiful! I know, I shoul've posted instead of edited my posts. Darn it.

There, see? I took my own advice. Now about the fender rolling?

jshay

Go Kart Champion
I think you're talking about Tony too. Did he stop rolling fenders or something?

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
made an appointment with the fender guru for 2pm today. Quick, painless :)

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
So while Tony was talking about BMW A40(?)s and Subbie WRXs, I asked about running 235/40x18 tires and the prospect of possibly rubbing. If I do go 235x18, my speedo will be off, that I know, but in which direction? Will the speedo show too slow or too fast?

What if I ran 235/35x18s?

Edit: I'm watching Harrismonkey on /DRIVE and I wish I had his skills and his life (but not his hirsuteness). Damn. Wanna go drive!

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Nice. Tony did mine too.

Ohai Chris, been meaning to read your F23 thread, but the 50+ pages are scaring me :(

edit:
in searching on google I found this site that will calculate whether wheel and tire changes are going to affect the speedo reading and other stuff. so I went on it to see what my speedo would do if I ran 235/40x18 (will underreport the speed-at 30mph speedo will read 29.6mph), and if I ran 235/35x18 (at 30mph speedo will read 30.8mph). This is if I ran those tires on my current wheel, which is 18x8 et45. If I ran a different wheel I have a feeling I could find the profile size that will give me negligable speedo error. But, if I did have to suffer speedo error, which is better or worse and for what reason?

Last edited:

SirClimax

Ready to race!
That craigslist post doesn't work anymore. Can someone send me Tony's contact info? :thumbup: