GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 04-10-2015, 12:24 AM   #15
syonxwf
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: '13 MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
Good to know lol

I test drove one before I bought my GTI, but didn't really get a good feel for the power. All I know is it had some pretty good torque steer.
All the torque steer of a Mazdaspeed 3 with none of the power.
// 2013 CSG GTI 6M // APR K04 v3.1 Low Output // Neuspeed FMIC // IE Intake // Sigma 6 SS // Ed's LED Tails // H&R Ultra Low Coilovers // Eurojet DP // Custom 3" Catback & Vibrant Resonator // Neuspeed Torque Insert // SB S2 Daily Clutch w/SMFW
// 2013 RAM 1500 Quad Cab // Custom 3" Stainless Exhaust // Dual Cherry Bomb Extreme Mufflers // Anzo U-Bar Black Headlights
syonxwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #16
NolaMKVI
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 csg dsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by syonxwf View Post

The inside is cheap, plasticy, and felt like it was going to fall apart. I test drove two of them on separate occasions, they are so cheaply made inside.

I've pulled on a stage 2 ST on E85 making 280whp/360wtq - they are weak cars that really don't make use of all the power they make. Hell I think a k04 GTI would likely beat a Big Turbo ST; I think the fastest BT ST I've seen was around a high 12 quarter, not super impressive (I searched for quite a while, and that is the fastest I've seen via a video. I've yet to see a timeslip for anything faster either).

My brother is has been top salesman for a BMW/FORD dealership for about two years now and they let him do what he wants around there, so guess who gets to test drive anything worth wild when they visit . (The i8 from bmw is amazing too btw) even the platnuim fords trucks have cheap plastics, awesome fat ass'd amercian seats though lol..

I know a guy with a stage 2+ ST, once I go stage 2 Im going to try to get a track run in on him and a roll from 40 either on the way or on the way home, hopefully im worthy enough to post in the kill stories section afterwards
NolaMKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:27 AM   #17
charrigan

Drives: 2013 GLI
Not to mention the dreaded Cylinder 1 problems on the ST.
charrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
Is that the issue where they're blowing holes in the pistons at low RPM and high boost?
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
syonxwf
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: '13 MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Is that the issue where they're blowing holes in the pistons at low RPM and high boost?
Lol really?

All these local guys are going Big turbo because they couldn't stand the fact that I was faster - literally 3 guys have gone big turbo since they saw me beat their 280whp E85 member from a roll - I'm going to laugh if they start blowing motors

What's even funnier is that the videos I've seen of a guy on youtube running the same turbo they have, hitting 400whp or so, IIRC is only trapping 110-112. Our guys on k04 are hitting between 112 on pump, to 117 on racing fuel, which cracks me up. They're just SOOO slow when modded, it's ridiculous.

(I'm sure I wasn't their ONLY motivation, but I'm sure it didn't help )

Edit: I was wrong, been a while but I searched my history and found him. 12.4 @ 119mph is the fastest I could find. It's fast, but for a big turbo vs what our big turbo's can do, meh, still the top end of k04 territory.
// 2013 CSG GTI 6M // APR K04 v3.1 Low Output // Neuspeed FMIC // IE Intake // Sigma 6 SS // Ed's LED Tails // H&R Ultra Low Coilovers // Eurojet DP // Custom 3" Catback & Vibrant Resonator // Neuspeed Torque Insert // SB S2 Daily Clutch w/SMFW
// 2013 RAM 1500 Quad Cab // Custom 3" Stainless Exhaust // Dual Cherry Bomb Extreme Mufflers // Anzo U-Bar Black Headlights

Last edited by syonxwf; 04-10-2015 at 11:16 AM.
syonxwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:34 AM   #20
Goingnowherefast
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 16 GTI S 6MT, 91 Miata
Ewh those wheels tho

Turbo miata build starting here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96866
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #21
MarineOnline03

Drives: 2010 GTI UG DSG
I'm gonna race all the fukus st's I my area!
MarineOnline03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 PM   #22
Tkulhanc134
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: MK7 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunholy View Post
I dont like the new STs wheels... looks a bit rice..but unless you need the hatch/4dr, if not.. WRX or mustang...
this, reminds me of Mexicans installing those wheels on their Lancer's and corollas lol, old one were better and should've stayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterkrazzy View Post
I heard the ST was closer to 300hp stock but they lowered the numbers on paper so it wouldn't effect mustang sales. Not sure if it's true, just something I was told by a ST owner.
More like for the RS, perhaps, its the same story with mk7 GTI vs R because they detune the gti engine, now that R and GTI has the same engine now, other than turbos.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #23
CiHKAL
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG - APR K04 V3.1 FBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkulhanc134 View Post
this, reminds me of Mexicans installing those wheels on their Lancer's and corollas lol, old one were better and should've stayed.

More like for the RS, perhaps, its the same story with mk7 GTI vs R because they detune the gti engine, now that R and GTI has the same engine now, other than turbos.

Same crank, connecting rods, and pistons? At the very least I would guess somewhat minor things like valve springs would be different. I havent looked up anything on the EA888 gen 3's in the GTI and R though.
CiHKAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #24
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiHKAL View Post
Same crank, connecting rods, and pistons? At the very least I would guess somewhat minor things like valve springs would be different. I havent looked up anything on the EA888 gen 3's in the GTI and R though.
The R has the same crank, but uprated rods and different piston/head geometry, IIRC.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #25
charrigan

Drives: 2013 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
kinda... I have connections within powertrain engineering at ford. I also have 4 friends/acquaintances that have had a ST engine failure.

3 I was able to inspect myself and it actually looked like severe detonation and ringland failure. 3 were cyl 1 and 1 was cyl 4.

my family within ford powertrain was very hush hush about it and would not speak a word about what its caused from but he did confirm the alarming amount of engine failures.

There is a massive thread on it on the ST forums. Most are modded when they have failures but there were also many that were 100% stock.
charrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:20 PM   #26
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrigan View Post
kinda... I have connections within powertrain engineering at ford. I also have 4 friends/acquaintances that have had a ST engine failure.

3 I was able to inspect myself and it actually looked like severe detonation and ringland failure. 3 were cyl 1 and 1 was cyl 4.

my family within ford powertrain was very hush hush about it and would not speak a word about what its caused from but he did confirm the alarming amount of engine failures.

There is a massive thread on it on the ST forums. Most are modded when they have failures but there were also many that were 100% stock.
Yeah that sounds like the stuff I was hearing about. Detonation that led to piston failures. Figures it would lead to ringland failures, too.

Ford isn't the only one with this problem, though. Kia/Hyundai's turbo 4s have this issue.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #27
Gti207
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 Drivers Edition GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedVW11 View Post
ive raced a few computer generated ST's at a private track with professional drivers in mexico and i gotta tell ya..not impressed.
The lead up to that point made me lol so hard.... its going to be a long week
Old 04-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #28
mk6'12gti
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 4dr Black Gti
I went against my buddys stage 2 st his mods are turbosmart 50/50 bov cpe intake cpe 3" dp intake manifold spacer an throttle body spacer. Myself Im apr stage 2 93 oct uni 3" intake uni dv relocate spulen top an tbp gfb dv+ forge twincooler 42dd 3" race dp 3" obx catback. We did a 4th gear pull an we were even an when we did a 3rd gear 40mph pull i pulled on him by a car
| Apr Ko4 v3.2 | Apr stage 2 Dsg | Do88 Ic | IE intake | Circuitwerks turboback | Ecs street shield | R8 coils | S3 style top | Spulen throttle pipe | BC coils | Uni dv relocate | 034 street density mounts | 034 pendulum mount | Hpa 75A puck | P3 Gauge | GFB Dv+ | Apr catch can | Osram headlights |
mk6'12gti is offline   Reply With Quote