GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 04-13-2015, 02:49 PM   #29
charrigan
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC75 View Post
Yeah that sounds like the stuff I was hearing about. Detonation that led to piston failures. Figures it would lead to ringland failures, too.

Ford isn't the only one with this problem, though. Kia/Hyundai's turbo 4s have this issue.
My friend who kept his stage 2+ ST after it blew. Just blew his engine again. Cyl 1 which is the same failure. Holes on both sides of the block. He was mid rpm and in boost. The replacement engine was used and has less than 10k miles on it when the dealer swapped it. He put maybe 5k miles on since the swap. Had all the same parts on and a off the shelf Cobb AP tune.
charrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #30
gti330ex
FIA GT Champion

Drives: A golf
I sat in the Focus ST at the auto show. I was in and out in less than 5 seconds.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #31
syonxwf
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: '13 MKVI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by charrigan View Post
My friend who kept his stage 2+ ST after it blew. Just blew his engine again. Cyl 1 which is the same failure. Holes on both sides of the block. He was mid rpm and in boost. The replacement engine was used and has less than 10k miles on it when the dealer swapped it. He put maybe 5k miles on since the swap. Had all the same parts on and a off the shelf Cobb AP tune.
How much horsepower is he putting down? All the local guys are running custom tunes, most using Stratified tuning, and none of them have had any issues with a blown motor. Most of them see pushing 275-280whp and 360wtq too; 3 of them now are BT pushing 400whp on custom tunes.

Maybe the off the shelf tune isn't jiving well with something he's running :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti330ex View Post
I sat in the Focus ST at the auto show. I was in and out in less than 5 seconds.
I never could find the "Made by Mattel" sticker inside...though you'd swear it was
// 2013 CSG GTI 6M // APR K04 v3.1 Low Output // Neuspeed FMIC // IE Intake // Sigma 6 SS // Ed's LED Tails // H&R Ultra Low Coilovers // Eurojet DP // Custom 3" Catback & Vibrant Resonator // Neuspeed Torque Insert // SB S2 Daily Clutch w/SMFW
// 2013 RAM 1500 Quad Cab // Custom 3" Stainless Exhaust // Dual Cherry Bomb Extreme Mufflers // Anzo U-Bar Black Headlights
syonxwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #32
Avant
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by syonxwf View Post
ROFL! That dude is full of shit, they make max around 235whp; Ford gives out crank horsepower numbers, unlike VW which gives out wheel horsepower numbers (for the most part).

The inside is cheap, plasticy, and felt like it was going to fall apart. I test drove two of them on separate occasions, they are so cheaply made inside.

I've pulled on a stage 2 ST on E85 making 280whp/360wtq - they are weak cars that really don't make use of all the power they make. Hell I think a k04 GTI would likely beat a Big Turbo ST; I think the fastest BT ST I've seen was around a high 12 quarter, not super impressive (I searched for quite a while, and that is the fastest I've seen via a video. I've yet to see a timeslip for anything faster either).
I am 99.99% sure that VW (and all OEM's) state their crank power (whether it's inflated or underrated).
Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #33
Dr Dad
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 CSG 6sp GTI
Focus ST vs GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avant View Post
I am 99.99% sure that VW (and all OEM's) state their crank power (whether it's inflated or underrated).

No

Our cars are rated at 200 and pull ~197 on dyno
Old 04-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #34
Avant
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dad View Post
No

Our cars are rated at 200 and pull ~197 on dyno
Hmm, that's new to me.

However I would still say that it depends on the dyno.

A stock MK6 GTI makes 183whp/195wtq on GIAC's Mustang Dyno so I'd go as far to say that VW underrated the MK6 GTI.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #35
CiHKAL
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG - APR K04 V3.1 FBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avant View Post
Hmm, that's new to me.

However I would still say that it depends on the dyno.

A stock MK6 GTI makes 183whp/195wtq on GIAC's Mustang Dyno so I'd go as far to say that VW underrated the MK6 GTI.

I wouldn't say it's uncommon knowledge that VW at least rates near WHP for the MK6 and possibly others. Look at the trap speed of a MK7 in the quarter mile, most likely underrated or near WHP by VW.
CiHKAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #36
Avant
FIA GT Newbie

HMMMMMM.

Yeah.. I really wanna race an ST lol.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #37
gti330ex
FIA GT Champion

Drives: A golf
Quote:

I never could find the "Made by Mattel" sticker inside...though you'd swear it was
lol
Old 04-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #38
charrigan
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GLI
Quote:
How much horsepower is he putting down?

Maybe the off the shelf tune isn't jiving well with something he's running :S
I have no clue what kind of power a ST has with every supporting mod except a larger turbo. I know there are for sure higher power ST's out there. Maybe a production line issue on engine assembly and ford is keeping it under wraps.

it also doesn't explain why so many have had failed engines even 100% stock. Again eluding to a potential production or part issue. All the theories I remember reading on the forums discussing this issue had zero facts backing up their claim. they were simply theories.
charrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #39
syonxwf
Formula 5000 Champion

This was posted in my local Focus ST group just today:

This is similar to my experience when I raced a Stage 3 ST (280whp), but me as a Stage 2 GTI, with the exception that I stayed dead even with him through 3rd, and I pulled considerably more as soon I shifted to 4th (5-6 cars).

Someone had posted the C&D article pitting the '15 GTI vs the '13 ST and they (the ST group) were talking about 0-60 times or how they think the times from a bunch of online sources are bullshit (mid 6's), and something about how C&D is always on VW's nuts because it always praises VW and blasts Ford...I lol'd but tried to abstain from commenting.
VW is a much more refined car, it truly is. It has a high quality interior for the price you pay, my paint isn't chipping off like all the Ford guys (locally) have been talking about their cars doing, and I've seen at least 3, maybe 4 of the local guys go to the dealer on a tow truck for reasons they will not specify to me - I'm assuming electrical, because that appears to be the number one issue across all Ford vehicles currently (source is a consumer reports article, too lazy to find it and link it right now).

The same guy as above just posted this too:

Superior interior even in the Ford world
// 2013 CSG GTI 6M // APR K04 v3.1 Low Output // Neuspeed FMIC // IE Intake // Sigma 6 SS // Ed's LED Tails // H&R Ultra Low Coilovers // Eurojet DP // Custom 3" Catback & Vibrant Resonator // Neuspeed Torque Insert // SB S2 Daily Clutch w/SMFW
// 2013 RAM 1500 Quad Cab // Custom 3" Stainless Exhaust // Dual Cherry Bomb Extreme Mufflers // Anzo U-Bar Black Headlights
Old 04-14-2015, 05:52 PM   #40
syonxwf
Formula 5000 Champion

This is also why the MK6 is better than the Focus ST.

Just like was talked about already in here, this apparently just happens and is talked about as being "Luck of the draw". Fuck that. You don't see that happening around here. People have their issues, but you don't see motors popping left and right.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #41
zalani
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 2dr DSG, Deep Black
Brother in law with a stock ST was talking shit, saying he's never been beaten by a GTI.
I plan on changing that.

If i'm understanding right, seems like stage 2 is enough to smoke him?

Willow

'12 GTI 2Door DSG, DB
Build Thread
zalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #42
XGC75
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: into shit
Stage 2 is plenty. Stage 1 is plenty for a stock ST.
XGC75 is offline   Reply With Quote